Peyton Manning vs. Tom Brady

This is the spot for player-to-player comparisons.
rubber_duck
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Peyton Manning vs. Tom Brady

Postby rubber_duck » Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:38 am

Okay, Skip, here you go. Hammer away!

I say both players are very good, but Peyton is clearly better than Brady. Just a few items to fuel the fire:
- Neither check the box as an elite arm talent.
- Both have superior pocket awareness.
- Both have superior downfield awareness, but I think Manning is better than Brady here.
- Pregame prep Manning crushes everyone except BB. IMO
- Presnap reads, both are exceptional.
- Broken play, Manning was good, Brady is better. Neither are off the charts great.

There are so many similarities to this and the Montana vs. Marino it is crazy. It would have been fun to see what BB could have done with Peyton Manning (if they could work well together), and Bill Walsh with Marino. But we will never get to know, it is just a good discussion over a few beers. 8-)

Space Cowboy
Degenerate
Degenerate

Re: Peyton Manning vs. Tom Brady

Postby Space Cowboy » Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:56 am

Let's not forget the be all and tell all stat.....

rubber_duck
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby rubber_duck » Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:59 am

Well of course the number of super bowl victories is what matters most in any such conversation.

This really is intended to be a silly and light hearted thread. The only time I ever get worked up about this topic is when ESPN would pop up the head-to-head graphic of these two each time they played. As if these 2 players are solely responsible for the entire outcome of each contest.

Even though I knew that stupid graphic was coming every game, along with the inevitable articles on their website, it would still get my blood pressure up a few points. :wall:

captain caveman
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby captain caveman » Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:48 pm

There is no doubt Peyton the the stat king here but he never had the drive to win championships like Brady did. It is the immeasurable that make the difference for who is the best. Brady, much like Michael Jordan steps up his game when it counts. Championships are the be all end all of this conversation.
12-team ppr qb super-flex/1qb, 2rb, 3wr, 1te, 2 flex

Brees/Dalton/Hoyer/Shimonek/Kessler
Hilton/Baldwin/Sanders/Garcon/Funchess/Gordon/Gallup
Gordon/Coleman/Crowell/Perine/Prosise/Ballage/Ekeler/Vereen/Artis-Payne/Marshall
Engram/Ebron/Wilson

The Pyrate
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby The Pyrate » Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:21 pm

Colts fan here...

And I have taken the side of Manning every single day in every single debate I have ever been in on this topic...

Right up until February 5, 2017. That comeback was THE clincher...Brady. Without a doubt.

onetwothree
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby onetwothree » Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:23 pm

captain caveman wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:48 pm There is no doubt Peyton the the stat king here but he never had the drive to win championships like Brady did. It is the immeasurable that make the difference for who is the best. Brady, much like Michael Jordan steps up his game when it counts. Championships are the be all end all of this conversation.
Immeasurable but let's still use it to qualify saying one player is definitively better than the other. :lol:

Also if we're gonna bring up Jordan, Montana is more of an apt comparison with his perfect record in the Super Bowl.

RTE
Role Player
Role Player

Postby RTE » Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:10 pm

The Pyrate wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:21 pm Colts fan here...

And I have taken the side of Manning every single day in every single debate I have ever been in on this topic...

Right up until February 5, 2017. That comeback was THE clincher...Brady. Without a doubt.
Hammer on the nail! Always have been a manning guy but this last super bowl put Brady on top in my book. Epic come back
12 team 1 qb 2 rb 2 wr 1 te 1 flex
Qb Wilson, Bortles
Rb Howard, Kerryon Johnson, Duke Johnson, ty Montgomery
Wr Odell, Cooper, Evans, Alshon, Curtis Samuel
TE Jonnu Smith, George kittle, Vance McDonald, Eifert

senska11
Role Player
Role Player

Postby senska11 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:38 pm

Ummm....Brady and it's not even close. Brady hasn't had close to the weapons or firepower Manning had.

Goddard
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Goddard » Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:12 pm

Is this for fantasy or real football? I can't stand Brady, but in real life, the rings make him the winner. For fantasy, I think Peyton in his prime would be better than Brady in his.

captain caveman
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby captain caveman » Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:39 am

onetwothree wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:23 pm
captain caveman wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:48 pm There is no doubt Peyton the the stat king here but he never had the drive to win championships like Brady did. It is the immeasurable that make the difference for who is the best. Brady, much like Michael Jordan steps up his game when it counts. Championships are the be all end all of this conversation.
Immeasurable but let's still use it to qualify saying one player is definitively better than the other. :lol:

Also if we're gonna bring up Jordan, Montana is more of an apt comparison with his perfect record in the Super Bowl.
Yes absolutely. What else can you say when a player goes 199th compared to first overall. Measurables?

No denying Montana's greatness. He is number 2 on my list and that is a close second. But we are comparing goats to goats are we not?

Gordon/Coleman/Crowell/Perine/Prosise/Ballage/Ekeler/Vereen/Artis-Payne/Marshall
Engram/Ebron/Wilson

onetwothree
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby onetwothree » Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:35 am

captain caveman wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:39 am
Yes absolutely. What else can you say when a player goes 199th compared to first overall. Measurables?

No denying Montana's greatness. He is number 2 on my list and that is a close second. But we are comparing goats to goats are we not?
Just think when we start comparing a player's "drive" to win that the discussion is over. Saying one guy had more desire or the other guy was a better leader - those are things there is no way to measure. Difficult to quantify in a team sport. Eli has as many rings as Peyton but I can't imagine anyone saying that Eli is anywhere close to Peyton in ranking. I think with Brady and Peyton, you either like 1 guy or the other and nothing will change anyone's opinion of that. I happen to be a Peyton guy.

And Montana is the GOAT. :thumbup:

captain caveman
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby captain caveman » Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:56 pm

onetwothree wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:35 am
captain caveman wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:39 am

Just think when we start comparing a player's "drive" to win that the discussion is over. Saying one guy had more desire or the other guy was a better leader - those are things there is no way to measure. Difficult to quantify in a team sport. Eli has as many rings as Peyton but I can't imagine anyone saying that Eli is anywhere close to Peyton in ranking. I think with Brady and Peyton, you either like 1 guy or the other and nothing will change anyone's opinion of that. I happen to be a Peyton guy.

And Montana is the GOAT. :thumbup:
These types of discussions are always subjective. I can see both sides of the argument for Peyton vs Brady. First thing a lot of people argue is the stats and let's face it...it is hard to compete against Peyton. I look at it as what QB do I want on my team to take me to the super bowl. My choice is Brady.

Elway is the goat btw :mrgreen:

Engram/Ebron/Wilson

Space Cowboy
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Space Cowboy » Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:24 pm

senska11 wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:38 pm Ummm....Brady and it's not even close. Brady hasn't had close to the weapons or firepower Manning had.
Yes and Brady never had Jim Caldwell.

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:27 am

I used to be a Manning > Brady because he was putting up better numbers on teams that had less talent and worse coaching. However the one thing about Manning is if everything doesn't go exactly according to plan he seems to fall apart. Brady is the opposite, his level of play seems to rise when things aren't going his way.

senska11
Role Player
Role Player

Postby senska11 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:23 am

Dynasty DeLorean wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:27 am I used to be a Manning > Brady because he was putting up better numbers on teams that had less talent and worse coaching. However the one thing about Manning is if everything doesn't go exactly according to plan he seems to fall apart. Brady is the opposite, his level of play seems to rise when things aren't going his way.
The coaching I'll give you, but Manning's talent around him was infinitely better than Brady's.