C. Meredith or K. White

This is the spot for player-to-player comparisons.

Who will be the better WR in Chicago short term and long term C. Meredith or K. White

C. Meredith
52%
K. White
48%

Total votes: 161

Sterling Archer
Role Player
Role Player

Re: C. Meredith or K. White

Postby Sterling Archer » Thu May 25, 2017 2:03 pm

Cameron Giles wrote: Wed May 24, 2017 4:33 pm
Sterling Archer wrote: Wed May 24, 2017 3:05 pm I agree there's a chance he's an undrafted gem, but more likely than not, his stats last year were a product of circumstance.
That is a possibility. However, his stats last season were very good and not fluky. I was skeptical of Meredith as well, but he did very well last season. Bears QB's were actually better when they targeted him (100.1 passer rating). Not to mention, he's a very sound route runner. If you go back and watch most of his receptions, he's getting open frequently. Meredith is likely going to see 100+ targets and be the preferred possession receiver.

White is more talented and has a higher draft pedigree, and I was a huge fan of his coming out of college. However, he's at a huge disadvantage because he's raw and hasn't played many games. Also, he's the same age as Meredith. If White can play well next season after missing 88% of his first two seasons, then his upside is higher than we previously thought.

If you're someone who wants to hit a home run, even if it means striking out, then buy White.
If you're someone who just wants to get on base by any means necessary, then buy Meredith.
Same can be said for Aiken but he still got passed over.

But when 56% of Meredith's fantasy points came when his team was down 2+ scores, you can't say his stats weren't fluky. Defenses were probably playing soft, giving up the short plays to prevent the long plays. Just to give some frame of reference, here is that % for some random other WRs - Wallace-15%, Julio-30%, Crabtree-29%, R.Matthews-40%, E.Sanders-31%
Paul Crewe wrote: Wed May 24, 2017 8:57 pm I own stock in Cam, but would probably still opt for White as the player with the higher (perceived) ceiling.

That said, I'm curious why people are so dismissive of Cam. He doesn't have draft pedigree as an UDFA, but he didn't play WR until his junior year at Illinois State. Even with a great senior year, the sample size was small, making him a virtual unknown, and he also had the small school bias working against him. Given the fact that he's only been a WR for four years total, there's still plenty of room to grow. And it's not like he looked bad last year. He showed well despite the Bears' revolving sh*t show at QB and overall lack of talent.

Not saying he's going to be the next Rod Smith, but I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss him as Kamar Aiken 2.0 either.
Calling him Aiken 2.0 isn't actually dismissing him. Aiken actually looks like a pretty good WR, IMO, and I expect that to show up this year when he beats out Dorsett to be the WR3 in Indy (and he'll really get a chance to shine if Moncrief gets hurt yet again). But being an undrafted guy who puts up decent numbers while everyone else is hurt can still equal getting looked over by the coaching staff. Meredith could be a good WR and still have the Bears draft/sign a WR1 next year (if White fails or is injured this year).

Vcize
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Vcize » Thu May 25, 2017 2:26 pm

Sterling Archer wrote: Thu May 25, 2017 2:03 pm But when 56% of Meredith's fantasy points came when his team was down 2+ scores, you can't say his stats weren't fluky. Defenses were probably playing soft, giving up the short plays to prevent the long plays. Just to give some frame of reference, here is that % for some random other WRs - Wallace-15%, Julio-30%, Crabtree-29%, R.Matthews-40%, E.Sanders-31%
Where are you getting this figure? NFL.com shows 21-330-3 when trailing by 9+ points, which is 72 out of his 179.5 fantasy points or 40%.

Obviously guys like Julio who's teams aren't generally down by 2+ scores often are going to have a lower % of points scored in those situations. Other guys on bad teams weren't that different though. Michael Thomas was 31-402-2 (32%). Jarvis Landry 50-496-2 (49%). Deandre Hopkins 36-469-2 (48%).
12 Team FFPC TE Premium
QB: Herbert, Brady
RB: Barkley, Mixon, Jav Williams, Pierce, Drake
WR: Jefferson, AJ Brown, Metcalf, Hopkins, Peoples-Jones
TE: Kittle, Goedert

Generic Username
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Generic Username » Thu May 25, 2017 2:30 pm

I'm a little confused as to why "56% of his production came when down by 2+ scores" is all that important or indicative of something?

First, it's slightly more than half of his production, which means the other half came in situations when the team was down by less than 2 scores or ahead? Wouldn't that indicate a close to even involvement in the offense?

Second, the other WRs and their production in same deficit situations: how often were they in that position compared to Chicago? I can't imagine Julio or Crabtree seeing such occasions all that often last year.

Third, and unrelated to the above, he's often credited with good numbers because everyone was injured (paraphrasing). Well, Alshon is gone, White is still his own health question mark self, and they didn't draft anyone of significance. I'd say his opportunity remains the same

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Thu May 25, 2017 4:07 pm

Sterling Archer wrote: Thu May 25, 2017 2:03 pm Same can be said for Aiken but he still got passed over.

But when 56% of Meredith's fantasy points came when his team was down 2+ scores, you can't say his stats weren't fluky. Defenses were probably playing soft, giving up the short plays to prevent the long plays. Just to give some frame of reference, here is that % for some random other WRs - Wallace-15%, Julio-30%, Crabtree-29%, R.Matthews-40%, E.Sanders-31%
To me, garbage time stats are only relevant if someone low on the depth chart is racking up numbers. Otherwise, someone like Meredith, who is the WR1 on his team, is going to be targeted whether the Bears are up 14 or down 14.

The coverages weren't soft. He was just winning consistently.

Goddard
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Goddard » Thu May 25, 2017 4:09 pm

This poll is like a good horse race. They keep going back and forth on who takes the lead.

Sterling Archer
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Sterling Archer » Fri May 26, 2017 5:20 am

Vcize wrote: Thu May 25, 2017 2:26 pm
Sterling Archer wrote: Thu May 25, 2017 2:03 pm But when 56% of Meredith's fantasy points came when his team was down 2+ scores, you can't say his stats weren't fluky. Defenses were probably playing soft, giving up the short plays to prevent the long plays. Just to give some frame of reference, here is that % for some random other WRs - Wallace-15%, Julio-30%, Crabtree-29%, R.Matthews-40%, E.Sanders-31%
Where are you getting this figure? NFL.com shows 21-330-3 when trailing by 9+ points, which is 72 out of his 179.5 fantasy points or 40%.

Obviously guys like Julio who's teams aren't generally down by 2+ scores often are going to have a lower % of points scored in those situations. Other guys on bad teams weren't that different though. Michael Thomas was 31-402-2 (32%). Jarvis Landry 50-496-2 (49%). Deandre Hopkins 36-469-2 (48%).
From another website - they use 0ppr, though.

Sterling Archer
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Sterling Archer » Fri May 26, 2017 5:25 am

Generic Username wrote: Thu May 25, 2017 2:30 pm I'm a little confused as to why "56% of his production came when down by 2+ scores" is all that important or indicative of something?

First, it's slightly more than half of his production, which means the other half came in situations when the team was down by less than 2 scores or ahead? Wouldn't that indicate a close to even involvement in the offense?

Second, the other WRs and their production in same deficit situations: how often were they in that position compared to Chicago? I can't imagine Julio or Crabtree seeing such occasions all that often last year.

Third, and unrelated to the above, he's often credited with good numbers because everyone was injured (paraphrasing). Well, Alshon is gone, White is still his own health question mark self, and they didn't draft anyone of significance. I'd say his opportunity remains the same
1) No, it means he's only really producing when teams aren't trying that hard to cover him. Much easier to play against prevent defense.

2) It's true that some teams just weren't down that much that often, but that means teams were playing those guys closer. They also probably come off the field during garbage time to stay safe. Meredith was out there racking up fantasy points during garbage time, though.

3) I've said several times, Meredith has a good shot of putting up points this year if White busts or gets injured - so I'm agreeing with you there. However, it is very likely he's overlooked in long term plans, making him a questionable dynasty asset. On the other hand, if White looks decent, he's going to get every chance to succeed.

Sterling Archer
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Sterling Archer » Fri May 26, 2017 5:29 am

Cameron Giles wrote: Thu May 25, 2017 4:07 pm
Sterling Archer wrote: Thu May 25, 2017 2:03 pm Same can be said for Aiken but he still got passed over.

To me, garbage time stats are only relevant if someone low on the depth chart is racking up numbers. Otherwise, someone like Meredith, who is the WR1 on his team, is going to be targeted whether the Bears are up 14 or down 14.

The coverages weren't soft. He was just winning consistently.
Garbage time stats are low hanging fruit that's not guaranteed one year to the next. It's unpredictable like TDs, so it's best to take that into account when looking at last year's stats and projecting the coming year's stats. It's often overlooked, leading to people overdrafting that player the next year, expecting things to stay linear.

FFKT_Van
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby FFKT_Van » Wed May 31, 2017 7:07 pm

If we're comparing Bears WRs, this poll should really be Kevin White vs Markus Wheaton or Kevin White vs Kendall Wright...

ColdZealDonkeyStrike
MVP
MVP

Postby ColdZealDonkeyStrike » Wed May 31, 2017 9:34 pm

I have one share of each, both in a league I don't consider that important, so I feel like I am pretty unbiased here lol. For me, it is Meredith.

Meredith and White are the same age and have the same amount of pro experience. White has more experience playing WR at the college level. Still, when White went down last year, the Bears plugged Meredith in the same way they were using White, and Meredith did better.

Also, it seems like people are underselling Meredith's athletic ability here. White had a faster 40, but otherwise they are pretty darn similar from the standpoint of size, jumping ability, quickness, and catch radius. White's ceiling might be a bit higher, but we are not talking Donte Moncrief vs. Kamar Aiken here.
Dynasty player since 2002.
I probably should have done something more productive with that time...

ColdZealDonkeyStrike
MVP
MVP

Postby ColdZealDonkeyStrike » Wed May 31, 2017 9:35 pm

Also, the Bears were 4-12. The fact that Meredith scored half his points when they were down big is just another way to say the Bears stunk last year.
Dynasty player since 2002.
I probably should have done something more productive with that time...

CM21VE
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby CM21VE » Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:52 pm

Kind of surprised at this poll, 50/50...I figured most would have been on the Cam M train..Whites needs to do something this year though or well he's toast
Team 1 (12 team

bsp27
Role Player
Role Player

Postby bsp27 » Sat Jun 03, 2017 3:33 pm

Kevin White will be remembered as one of the biggest busts in NFL history.
Superflex tight-end premium team:
Qb: Kyler Murray, Dak Presscott, Sam Darnold,
Rb: Derrick Henry, Latavius Murray, Darrell Henderson, Dexter Williams, Brian Hill
Wr: Chris Godwin, Stefon Diggs, Courtland Sutton, DK Metcalf, AJ Brown, Andy Isabella, JJ Arcega-Whiteside, Tre'Quan Smith, Daesean Hamilton, Josh Reynolds, Trey Quin, Snead,
Te: TJ Hockensen, Gesicki, Hurst

1 2020 first, 1 2020 2nd, 1 2020 3rd, 1 2020 4th

Devy superflex
Qb: Cousins, Prescott, Lamar Jackson
Rb: Marlon Mack, Tevin Coleman, Rex Burkhead,, Mcguire, Edwards
Wr: Antonio Brown, Amari Cooper, Kenny Golladay, Will Fuller, Tre'quan Smith, John Brown, Carlos Henderson, Josh Malone, Ryan Switzer, Taywan Taylor, Leonte Carroo, Antonio Callaway
Te: David Njoku, O.J. Howard, Mark Andrews,

devy: Deondre Francois, Cam Akers, Bryce Love, Myles Gaskin, Sewo Olonilua, Jalen Reagor, Peoples-Jones, Noah Fant

cvbuc
All Pro
All Pro

Postby cvbuc » Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:00 pm

I don't think I've ever seen a poll this even after so many votes. Wow.
TEAM ONE
12 Team PPR League / 5pt passing TDs
2020 & 2021 CHAMPS (2022 Runner Up)
Start 1QB 2RB 3WR 1Flex 1TE 1K 23 Man Active Roster / 3 TAXI SQUAD SPOT
QB - L. Jackson, Cousins
RB - Swift, Ekeler, K. Mitchell, A. Mattison, D. Foreman, C. Rodriguez, E. Mitchell, S, Tucker, J. Wilson
WR - Amon Ra, D. Smith, M. Pittman, DK Metcalf, Jayden Reed, D. Douglas, K. Shakir, D. Wicks, T. Tucker, T. Scott
TE - Kelce, C. Otton, I. Likely, D. Washington
K - B. Aubrey
DEF - Eagles, Dolphins

joeya2001
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby joeya2001 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:16 pm

I cant believe its 50/50 lol :wtf:

Meredith all day!
1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR 1TE, Super Flex, 2 Flex Spots. 10 Team Dynasty PPR

2016 Champs 2019 Runner up 2020 Champs

QB- Lamar Jackson, Jordan Love
RB- Alvin Kamara, AJ Dillion
WR- Christian Kirk, Michael Pittman, Aiyuk, Alec Pierce, DJ Chare, Terrace Marshall, Metchie,
TE- George Kittle, Darren Waller, Greg Dortch.

Team 2 10 Team 1 QB 2 RB 3 WR 1 TE 2 Flex 2 SF

2020 3rd place Year 1
(This is a rebuild team selling vets)
QB Joe Burrow, Kenny Pickett, Geno,
RB AJ Dillon, Josh Jacobs, Tony Pollard,
WR Tee Higgins, Sutton, HollywoodTerry McLaurin, DJM, Ju-Ju, Hodgins,
TE Hock, Andrews, Kyle Pitts, Otton, Ertz
Picks
2023 4 1st 5 2nd
2024 3rd
“Not good enough to count on as a starter, but too good to drop, so they clog my bench.” dlf_mikeh