C. Meredith or K. White

This is the spot for player-to-player comparisons.

Who will be the better WR in Chicago short term and long term C. Meredith or K. White

C. Meredith
52%
K. White
48%

Total votes: 161

Goddard
GOAT
GOAT

Re: C. Meredith or K. White

Postby Goddard » Mon May 15, 2017 11:20 am

WhatWouldDitkaDo wrote: Mon May 15, 2017 10:59 am Do you prefer Jordan Matthews or Keenan Allen? Not exact comps, but I see Meredith as a middling flex or low-end WR2, a non-exciting player but good depth with steady production like Matthews. White is the swing for the fences top-10 upside with might never give you a 16-game season like Allen.
I don't think White is nearly as skilled as Allen. Allen is a great route runner and can actually catch the ball. White is very athletic, but I don't think he's a very good WR.

WhatWouldDitkaDo
GOAT
GOAT

Postby WhatWouldDitkaDo » Mon May 15, 2017 11:28 am

Goddard wrote: Mon May 15, 2017 11:20 am
WhatWouldDitkaDo wrote: Mon May 15, 2017 10:59 am Do you prefer Jordan Matthews or Keenan Allen? Not exact comps, but I see Meredith as a middling flex or low-end WR2, a non-exciting player but good depth with steady production like Matthews. White is the swing for the fences top-10 upside with might never give you a 16-game season like Allen.
I don't think White is nearly as skilled as Allen. Allen is a great route runner and can actually catch the ball. White is very athletic, but I don't think he's a very good WR.
Certainly. Like I said, not exact comps player for player, but more so the approach to floor vs ceiling and injury risk.
Kittles Pox | Championships: 2015, 2017
12-Team PPR | QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, W/R/T, K, DST
QB: Kyler Murray, Aaron Rodgers
RB: Christian McCaffrey, Melvin Gordon, James Conner, Phillip Lindsay, Tevin Coleman, Boston Scott, Benny Snell Jr.
WR: Tyreek Hill, Mike Evans, Cooper Kupp, Michael Gallup, Christian Kirk
TE: George Kittle, Travis Kelce | K: Younghoe Koo | DST: SF
PS: Mecole Hardman, Tony Pollard | 2020 Picks: 1.09, 2.10, 3.03 | 2021 Picks: 1st, 2nd

Goddard
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Goddard » Mon May 15, 2017 11:44 am

WhatWouldDitkaDo wrote: Mon May 15, 2017 11:28 am
Goddard wrote: Mon May 15, 2017 11:20 am
Certainly. Like I said, not exact comps player for player, but more so the approach to floor vs ceiling and injury risk.
I can agree with that.

Vcize
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Vcize » Mon May 15, 2017 4:47 pm

Pretty big difference between Allen (who has actually shown his top-10 upside translates to the field when he's healthy) and White (who didn't look particularly good even in the few games he was healthy).

I have White in two of my three leagues. I'd take most decent offers for him. Much like Bradford heading into last year, people focus so much on the injury stuff that they forget he wasn't actually that good even when he wasn't injured. Even if you could guarantee me that White will stay healthy this year I still wouldn't be that excited about him because I think there are some pretty big doubts about whether or not he's actually a good football player. The health concerns just stack on top of that.
12 Team FFPC TE Premium
QB: Herbert, Brady
RB: Barkley, Mixon, Jav Williams, Pierce, Drake
WR: Jefferson, AJ Brown, Metcalf, Hopkins, Peoples-Jones
TE: Kittle, Goedert

sehon4
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby sehon4 » Tue May 16, 2017 6:52 pm

Interesting close voting thus far.
12 team dynasty, Protect 13 players annually, plus 3 2yr psquad- Max 4RB, Max 5WR, Max 3QB, Max 2TE, Max 1K, Max 1Def, Max 1 Flex. Roster size 18 plus 3 IR & 3 PSquad-3 2yr Psquad(signed for 2 years)
QB-Justin Hebert, Jordan Love
Derek Carr
RB-Alvin Kamara, Javonte Williams, Bijan Robinson, Chuba Hubbard
WR- Mike Williams, D.K Metcalf, Tim Higgins, Terry McLaurin, Jayden Reed Michael Gallup
2yr PSquad Jameson Williams, Marvin Mims Jr. , John Metchie III
TE- George Kittle, Cole Kmet, Dalton Kincaid
2015 League Champions (finally)
2009 2nd place, 2010 2nd place, 2014 2nd place, 2018 2nd place, 2020 2nd place
2012 3rd place, 2019 3rd place
2023 rookie draft picks: 1.01; 2.01; 2.05; 2.08; 3.02; 3.10; 4.12; 5.01
Traded Aaron Rodgers and Khilil Herbert for Jameson Williams & pick 3.02 rookie draft
Traded 2.08, 3.02, 3.10, 2024 3rd round and 2025 3rd round for Javonte Williams

Sterling Archer
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Sterling Archer » Thu May 18, 2017 6:59 am

Vcize wrote: Mon May 15, 2017 4:47 pm
Pretty big difference between Allen (who has actually shown his top-10 upside translates to the field when he's healthy) and White (who didn't look particularly good even in the few games he was healthy).

I have White in two of my three leagues. I'd take most decent offers for him. Much like Bradford heading into last year, people focus so much on the injury stuff that they forget he wasn't actually that good even when he wasn't injured. Even if you could guarantee me that White will stay healthy this year I still wouldn't be that excited about him because I think there are some pretty big doubts about whether or not he's actually a good football player. The health concerns just stack on top of that.
It wasn't long ago that people were into the 3rd year WR breakout theory and now people are expecting White to shine in his first four games?? Keep in mind he played 2 games with 2 different QBs during his first (and only) four games.

This was an interesting poll, but I guess it comes down to personal drafting preference. Meredith is great for a studs and duds team. He's good enough to cover your bye weeks but isn't likely to be a breakout star. White is my type of player, though. I prefer to avoid the big names and use my auction dollars (or in subsequent seasons, my draft picks) on high ceiling guys who have fallen out of favor. If it doesn't work, I can cut bait without having invested a lot. But this requires a big roster. Can't really employ that in short roster leagues. So generally speaking, I'd take six Kevin Whites over one DeAndre Hopkins (example meant to be an overpriced "stud" WR). Given most of my teams, I've got the depth that Meredith would likely never crack my lineup even as a bye week filler or a flex.

J Stone
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby J Stone » Thu May 18, 2017 9:14 am

The White versus Meredith debate about who is more valuable, is a very tough situation for many managers coming into this season. For many of us, Meredith was added to our rosters for insurance when White was injured last season. Meredith preformed above expectations and was the main benefactor when both Jeffery and White weren't playing at the end of the season. Now that Jeffery has moved on and White is healthy, many of us have White and Meredith both rostered. I feel like I have to keep both to hedge my bet, but hate to miss out on trade opportunities.

Space Cowboy
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Space Cowboy » Thu May 18, 2017 9:39 am

37-37 lol

Meredith looked real good last year, got better as the year went on and showed some nice ability. Believe he's a former college QB so there's still more room to grow.

BuckeyeNation
GOAT
GOAT

Postby BuckeyeNation » Thu May 18, 2017 9:56 am

The most transparent, double-talk answer you'll find in this thread....

Meredith, because I own more shares of him.....

White, because I have more invested in him.
-TEAM 1. Year 5 '15/'16 Champ
Ben
Freeman/Cook/Hyde/Crowell/AP/Rawls/JWill(GB)/Gallman/Vereen/Smallwood/Clement
Julio/Jordy/Crowder/Enunwa/JuJu/Zay/Treadwell/JJNelson/Anderson/Switzer
Olsen/Graham/Gathers/Kittle

-TEAM 2- Year 5 '13/'16 Champ-'14/'15 R/U
Luck/Cousins
Bell/Hunt/Gillislee/Henry/Charles/Rawls/Burkhead
Brown/Jordy/Tate/Moncrief/Enunwa/Meredith/Zay/JJNelson/Anderson/Stewart
Olsen/Ebron/Henry

-TEAM 3- Year 5
'13-'15 R/U
Cam/Smith/Trubisky
Zeke/CJA/Montgomery/Ware/Charles/Booker/Burk/Smallwood/Cohen
Brown/Hilton/Diggs/Marvin/Pryor/Parker/Maclin/Meredith/JJNelson
Reed/Doyle/Miller/Gathers

-TEAM 4- Year 3
Wilson/Mariota
Ajayi/Howard/Hyde/Riddick/Vereen/Burk/Clement
OBJ/ARob/MThomas/Landry/Adams/Crowder/MJones/White/Lee/Samuel
Olsen/Rudolph/Swoope/Barnidge

kadun2
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby kadun2 » Thu May 18, 2017 10:09 am

:D
Last edited by kadun2 on Thu May 18, 2017 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

kadun2
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby kadun2 » Thu May 18, 2017 10:10 am

A big part of being valuable is being available. Meredith has shown the ability to stay healthy albeit a small sample size. That said, he is looked at by many as being not flashy or specially skilled, just ok. I see a player with excellent body control and poise on the field, and tracks the ball pretty well too. As has been said before and I agree, he still has plenty of room to grow, which is very interesting to keep an eye on, imo.

Ghosted
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Ghosted » Fri May 19, 2017 5:52 pm

What are the Meredith voters realistic expectations of him? WR3 most years as a ceiling? If I'm betting in fantasy, give me the guy with the higher upside, and White has that in spades. Now, chances are, he'll probably be a "miss," but he's played a whole 4 NFL games, after missing an entire year. Forget 3 year windows, how about we give him just one healthy season before we start making proclamations of how he's looked on an NFL field. It's not like he was polished coming in, either. I can find plenty of Meredith's every year. Both of White's injuries were freak ones, too. It's funny that we paint the brush of misfortune when it comes to Keenan, but when it comes to White, he's so much different just because his timeline of injuries came earlier in his career.

Friction
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Friction » Fri May 19, 2017 7:27 pm

I was really low on White to begin with as i just dont generally pay the prices for guys like him (in rookie drafts), and i just had a gut feeling he would be a bust. The jury is still out on that though. I would slightly lean Cam and as far as realistic expectations go, WR3 sounds about right. If the QB play is solid I could see him push for low end WR2 type ceiling. Bears should be behind a lot this year and beyond possibly, leading to some garbage time receiving stats too.
Valhalla's Father
12 Team 1PPR 1QB/1-3RB/1-3 WR/1TE/1DST
QB:Brady
RB: Barkley, Chubb, Jacobs, Henry, Mack, Etienne
WR: Nuk, Thielen, Cooks, Diontae, Pittman, Gallup
TE: Henry

jaykay22
Starter
Starter

Postby jaykay22 » Sat May 20, 2017 5:29 am

never again wrote: Fri May 19, 2017 5:52 pm What are the Meredith voters realistic expectations of him? WR3 most years as a ceiling? If I'm betting in fantasy, give me the guy with the higher upside, and White has that in spades. Now, chances are, he'll probably be a "miss," but he's played a whole 4 NFL games, after missing an entire year. Forget 3 year windows, how about we give him just one healthy season before we start making proclamations of how he's looked on an NFL field. It's not like he was polished coming in, either. I can find plenty of Meredith's every year. Both of White's injuries were freak ones, too. It's funny that we paint the brush of misfortune when it comes to Keenan, but when it comes to White, he's so much different just because his timeline of injuries came earlier in his career.
I get the message you're conveying (in principle), but Keenan Allen can play WR very well in the NFL. He's got great hands, he's got great releases, he runs good routes and he can manufacture separation and give Rivers throwing windows on a consistent basis. Kevin White on the other side, is not a very good NFL WR. He's big and fast (and that pains me to say as a Bears fan).

As a Cam owner I expect 80/1000/6. He is the better WR on the team, and it will show.
#FreeCoreyDavis

Ghosted
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Ghosted » Sat May 20, 2017 7:46 am

jaykay22 wrote: Sat May 20, 2017 5:29 am
never again wrote: Fri May 19, 2017 5:52 pm What are the Meredith voters realistic expectations of him? WR3 most years as a ceiling? If I'm betting in fantasy, give me the guy with the higher upside, and White has that in spades. Now, chances are, he'll probably be a "miss," but he's played a whole 4 NFL games, after missing an entire year. Forget 3 year windows, how about we give him just one healthy season before we start making proclamations of how he's looked on an NFL field. It's not like he was polished coming in, either. I can find plenty of Meredith's every year. Both of White's injuries were freak ones, too. It's funny that we paint the brush of misfortune when it comes to Keenan, but when it comes to White, he's so much different just because his timeline of injuries came earlier in his career.
I get the message you're conveying (in principle), but Keenan Allen can play WR very well in the NFL. He's got great hands, he's got great releases, he runs good routes and he can manufacture separation and give Rivers throwing windows on a consistent basis. Kevin White on the other side, is not a very good NFL WR. He's big and fast (and that pains me to say as a Bears fan).

As a Cam owner I expect 80/1000/6. He is the better WR on the team, and it will show.
Right, but I wasn't comparing their abilities to play WR, just the lense in which their injuries are perceived through. Honestly, I think White actually has (or had) a higher ceiling than Allen, who will only ever play the role of a target-dependent Z in this league. White is very much more than just a "big and fast guy," too. This isn't DHB we're talking about here. He did lack creativity and polish with his routes, but he wasn't going to get that in 4 NFL games, and he never had to learn to do that in college. He did win consistently with his "size and speed," but he was also a technician at contested catches. He also showed great body control and hands. He's was a much more dynamic talent than Meredith. Again, I can find WR3 types every year in fantasy. You're not just going to dig up WR1 profile X receivers on waivers very often, however. If he misses, and again history supports that he will, so be it. But I won't be making any proclamations on how a rookie plays his position after 4 whole games.