AB Value

This is the spot for player-to-player comparisons.
TheDogPound
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

AB Value

Postby TheDogPound » Fri May 05, 2017 6:21 pm

Now seems like the perfect time to discuss AB.

Ben seems to continue to flirt with retiring. He seems to be non-committal to playing until he's 40. He seems to be taking it season by season. I am not sure how real any of this is or if it should even be bought or not, however, it does seem to be prevalent and an ongoing trend heading into all off seasons concerning him.

With this being the case, what is the value for AB? (Especially in a 1 point ppr league with PR/KR points)

Obviously, he's still a stud and will continue to do so as long as Ben is his QB. However, if any of the retirement talk is real and Ben suddenly retires then there goes his value. I think he could still be the focal point of that passing game but no way he's as valuable as he is today.

My questions are:

1. If looking to shop AB what should I expect in return? What shouldn't I take less than? (Let's say post draft and player compensation only.)
2.What do you all think his window of dominance WR1 status is?

Mjvb5
Legend
Legend

Re: AB Value

Postby Mjvb5 » Fri May 05, 2017 6:38 pm

I'd still want 3+ firsts for him
With the wr1 seasons it depends on what you mean
As THE WR1, I think that goes out the window the second Big Ben retires, realistically to be the wr1 you need to be in a good situation not just a talented receiver. Saying that if I were betting on who would be that this season AB is as safe as it gets.
As A WR1, I'd easily give him 3 more seasons even if Big Ben calls it quits. The problem with this is that his value could drop fairly quickly if this happens due to being right on the edge of 30 and that incredible elite was being gone.
Saying this I believe at least 25% of his value is tied to Big Ben staying in the league just because without him I believe he loses his edge as the wr1 in all of fantasy.

Dr. Trades
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby Dr. Trades » Mon May 08, 2017 6:50 pm

I have him on my team, too. Also a Steelers fan. But I like your points. I agree, it is about time to probably start maximizing what you can get for him for the following reasons: 1) his age 2) the sheer # of weapons in that offense 3) and how much longer will Ben really play?? I think AB's value is intimately tied most to the latter, as you've seen his production and "catch" streaks suffer significantly when Ben has been hurt. However, all those factors come into play. If you can get 3 high 1st rounders for him, like previous post mentioned, I believe that's a pretty fair deal and if I'm able to shop him and get that in return, I'd probably be pretty happy with that.
League 1: 12 Team League (0.5 ppr WR/RB, 0.75 TE)
QB: Dak, Rodgers, Jimmy G
RB: Henry, Mixon, Swift, AJ Dillon, Jamaal Williams, TDP, Zamir White, Dontrell Hilliard, Hassan Haskins, Joshua Kelley, Chris Evans, Jaylen Warren
WR: JJefferson, AJ Brown, Deebo, DJ Moore, Keenan Allan, Russell Gage, George Pickens, Isaiah McKenzie, Westbrook-Ikhine
TE: Dalton Schultz, Logan Thomas, Daniel Bellinger
D/St: 49ers, Cowboys

League 2: 12 team (28 roster spots) Superflex/TE premium (qb 4pts per TD, all others 6pts per TD, WR/RB 0.1 ppc and 0.75ppr, TE 1.5 ppr)
QB: Rodgers, Stafford, T. Lawrence
RB: javonte, ETN, Eli Mitchell, AJ Dillon, Michael Carter, TDP, Marlon Mack, Jaylen Warren, Darrel Williams, Kene Nguwanu, Trey Sermon
WR: J. Chase, Tee Higgins, Mike Williams, KJ Hamler, Calvin Austin 3, Danny Gray, Erik Ezukanma
TE: Schultz, Fant, Evan Engram, Jelani Woods, Noah Gray, Durham Smythe, Josiah Deguara, Brycen Hopkins

Crwdstunna
Captain
Captain

Postby Crwdstunna » Sat May 13, 2017 9:17 pm

If you are a contender I think AB is worth much more to you on your team than selling for maximum value. He is currently the best WR in the game going into next season at 29, sorry OBJ. With or without Big Ben I think AB is a generational type WR and can put up top 20 WR seasons well into his 30s. That is worth more than 3 firsts. Just my two cents though.
10 Team PPR Dynasty League (1QB 2RB 2WR 1TE 2Flex) 2018 Champ
QB: B Mayfield- D Brees- M Mariota RB: A Kamara- M Ingram- Du Johnson- C Hyde- M Lynch- A Peterson- G Edwards- L Murray- C Warren WR: A Brown- D Hopkins- T Boyd- A Jeffery- S Shepard- N Agholor- D Moncrief- L Fitzgerald- M Goodwin TE: OJ Howard- D Goedert
16 Team PPR Dynasty League (1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE)
QB: B Roethlisberger- C Keenum RB: Da Johnson- P Lindsay- J White- F Gore WR: A Thielen- C Kupp- K Golladay- C Sutton- A Miller- Tr Smith TE: OJ Howard- D Goerdert- C Herndon- A Hooper

12 Team PPR Dynasty League (2QB 2RB 2WR 2TE 3FLEX)
QB: C Newton- M Mariota- M Trubisky RB: S Barkley- J Mixon- C McCaffrey- N Hines- C Clement- C Carson WR: S Watkins- J Landry- S Diggs- C Godwin- M Williams- M Lee- K Golladay TE: R Gronkowski- D Njoku- G Kittle- E Ebron

roseyknee
Role Player
Role Player

Postby roseyknee » Sun May 14, 2017 7:15 am

Crwdstunna wrote: Sat May 13, 2017 9:17 pm If you are a contender I think AB is worth much more to you on your team than selling for maximum value. He is currently the best WR in the game going into next season at 29, sorry OBJ. With or without Big Ben I think AB is a generational type WR and can put up top 20 WR seasons well into his 30s. That is worth more than 3 firsts. Just my two cents though.
I agree that his elite status depends a lot on Ben. We've seen Brown play without Ben, and he put up dud games. Albeit it was with Landry Jones, but how likely is it that finding Big Ben's successor is a smooth transition? I feel like people underrate how difficult it is to find replacement QBs in the NFL (see Nuk/ARob discussions where a lot of people just say "new QB=better situation"). Even if I'm contending, I'd be looking to cash out sooner than later--why not get an AJG+ for him now?

IBall2
All Pro
All Pro

Postby IBall2 » Tue May 16, 2017 10:51 am

A few months ago I traded AB for Gurley + Parker. Some people consider it selling low on AB but I have absolutely no depth at RB (current RB1 on roster is Fat Rob) so I needed some help there and I got some youth out of it. Team is in rebuild so I think it will work out.