No Corey Davis thread? COREY DAVIS THREAD

This is the spot for player-to-player comparisons.
Favrezilla
MVP
MVP

No Corey Davis thread? COREY DAVIS THREAD

Postby Favrezilla » Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:11 pm

could someone explain to me why he is so highly regarded and i shouldnt take Big Mike over him?

i wasnt overly wowed by anything ive seen (highlight or game footage) he caught a lot of screens and slants; some broken plays he caught easy balls on. hes not very imposing and has smaller hands for a guy his size - he does sort of remind me of AJGreen in his height/acceleration but im not sold
Last edited by Favrezilla on Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
T.1 - 12 team Superflex- 1xQB - 2xRB - 3xWR - 1xTE - 1xSFlex (13th year) ‘21&’22 champ
QB: Mahomes, Burrow, Stafford,
RB: Mixon, Henry, zeke, Rochon
WR: Godwin, Olave, Deebo,DJM, Dell, MW, Doubs
TE: Kelce, Kmet, Musgrave

T.2 - 12 team Superflex- 1xQB - 2xRB - 3xWR - 1xTE - 1xSFlex - 1xWRT Flex (10th year)
QB: Burrow, Baker,Jameis, jimmy, Wentz,
RB: Saquon, Mixon, Rochon, Evans
WR: Pickens, QJ, Thielen, Arob, Juju, ODB, D. Parker, Osborn,
TE: Kincaid, Ertz, Freirmuth, Taysom, JWoods

T.3 - 12 team Superflex- 1xQB - 2xRB - 3xWR - 1xTE - 1xSFlex - 1xWRT Flex (3rd year) ‘21&’22 champ
QB: Mahomes, Burrow, Winston, Darnald
RB: JT, Javonte,Sanders, JCook, Jamaal
WR: Godwin, Waddle, ARSB, Pittman, MW, Jameson, Zay, Claypool, Toney, Terrance
TE: Hock, Fant, McBride

IBall2
All Pro
All Pro

Re: No Corey Davis thread? COREY DAVIS THREAD

Postby IBall2 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:03 am

Favrezilla wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:11 pm could someone explain to me why he is so highly regarded and i shouldnt take Big Mike over him?

i was overly wowed by anything ive seen (highlight or game footage) he caught a lot of screens and slants; some broken plays he caught easy balls on. hes not very imposing and has smaller hands for a guy his size - he does sort of remind me of AJGreen in his height/acceleration but im not sold
People are favoring Davis over Williams because of his expanded route tree and refined skills at the position. He can run practically every route and is now in the critiquing stage of his route running abilities, where-as Williams still has a lot to learn about route running and does not possess the elite speed/vertical/burst.

Williams has similar size/speed/vert as someone like Kelvin Benjamin. Doesn't have the top end speed to be a true #1.

Davis has the technique to succeed from day 1 and has WR1 upside with his advanced route tree and after-the-catch abilities.

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:55 am

IBall2 wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:03 am
Favrezilla wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:11 pm could someone explain to me why he is so highly regarded and i shouldnt take Big Mike over him?

i was overly wowed by anything ive seen (highlight or game footage) he caught a lot of screens and slants; some broken plays he caught easy balls on. hes not very imposing and has smaller hands for a guy his size - he does sort of remind me of AJGreen in his height/acceleration but im not sold
People are favoring Davis over Williams because of his expanded route tree and refined skills at the position. He can run practically every route and is now in the critiquing stage of his route running abilities, where-as Williams still has a lot to learn about route running and does not possess the elite speed/vertical/burst.

Williams has similar size/speed/vert as someone like Kelvin Benjamin. Doesn't have the top end speed to be a true #1.

Davis has the technique to succeed from day 1 and has WR1 upside with his advanced route tree and after-the-catch abilities.
Yeah pretty much. Would you rather have Kevin "MY BALL" White or a guy who can actually run routes who isn't so great at contested catches such as Amari Cooper.

One comp I heard a few days ago was Terrell Owens and that made a lot of sense to me. Both small school guys, both 6"3 in the 210lb range coming out of college. Neither player was a big "my ball" kind of guy. Both didn't have the greatest hands.

One thing that's confused me a little bit reading some scouting reports on Corey Davis is some ppl don't think he's that fast. I happen to think he looks plenty fast and athletic, like sub 4.5 easily. Am I missing something or...???

Favrezilla
MVP
MVP

Postby Favrezilla » Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:53 am

Dynasty DeLorean wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:55 am One comp I heard a few days ago was Terrell Owens and that made a lot of sense to me. Both small school guys, both 6"3 in the 210lb range coming out of college. Neither player was a big "my ball" kind of guy. Both didn't have the greatest hands.

One thing that's confused me a little bit reading some scouting reports on Corey Davis is some ppl don't think he's that fast. I happen to think he looks plenty fast and athletic, like sub 4.5 easily. Am I missing something or...???
ive heard the TO comp. and then ive heard that QUICKLY blown out by the other bloggers/talking heads so im not even going to think about that...as far as the speed, hes "quick" not fast...and his "old" 40 times range from 4.4 - 4.6, 4.5 is fast enough but thats not considered FAST for a WR or am i wrong? i also dont think thats as big a deal as long as you can beat press from the line and catch a ball.

anyways...this time is always interesting, cant wait to see where the GMs take these guys. i am moving Corey up my draft boards based on mob rule however. haha.
T.1 - 12 team Superflex- 1xQB - 2xRB - 3xWR - 1xTE - 1xSFlex (13th year) ‘21&’22 champ

T.2 - 12 team Superflex- 1xQB - 2xRB - 3xWR - 1xTE - 1xSFlex - 1xWRT Flex (10th year)

T.3 - 12 team Superflex- 1xQB - 2xRB - 3xWR - 1xTE - 1xSFlex - 1xWRT Flex (3rd year) ‘21&’22 champ

IBall2
All Pro
All Pro

Postby IBall2 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:11 am

I think people consider Corey Davis 'quick but not fast' because his technique is above average for route running so he doesn't have to be fast. It's a poor idea that people have gotten stuck in their heads and now they can't unthink it. Also, people are thinking this because he played at a MAC school where it's perceived that opposing talent is less, thus they are slower and Corey Davis is now slower just by connecting these dots.

It's not true but IMO but this is where I think people get the idea from.

DYNASTY BALLA$
Starter
Starter

Postby DYNASTY BALLA$ » Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:39 am

I like the Kevin White / Amari Cooper comparison. One being more physically dominant whereas the other being a more polished all around WR. Although with that said I still see Davis/Williams as being a lot closer overall than Cooper/White were

For me it's going to come down to the team/QB that draft each. For example, I'd take Mariota's new #1WR over Tyrod's new #2WR any day
FFPC $2500 #6 ~ 12 team PPR/QB/TE1.5
QB: Josh Allen
RB: CMC, Zeke, Spears, Mattison, Justice Hill
WR: Kupp, Tyreek, Diggs, DSmith, MWilliams
TE: Andrews, Ferguson

FFPC $2500 #5 ~ 12 team PPR/QB/TE1.5 (2021 Champ)
RB: CMC, Jacobs, Ekeler, Monty, Achane,
WR: Kupp, Pittman, Amari, Ridley, Lockett

FFPC $750 #46 ~ 12 team PPR/QB/TE1.5
QB: Mahomes
RB: Bijan, Gibbs, Saquon, Kyren, Javonte
WR: Tyreek, Kupp, Waddle, Wan'Dale
TE: Hock, LaPorta

Favrezilla
MVP
MVP

Postby Favrezilla » Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:42 pm

What if he ends up on a team like KC? Where he's going to share targets for a long time with very good players in a low yardage offense?

lukkynumber13
GOAT
GOAT

Postby lukkynumber13 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:31 pm

Favrezilla wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:42 pm What if he ends up on a team like KC? Where he's going to share targets for a long time with very good players in a low yardage offense?
Um... Then he's my 1.05, maybe 6.
TEAM A - 12T (22 R/U, 20 R/U, 19 R/U, 18 Champ, 17 R/U)
HERBERT, Baker
BIJAN/KAMARA/MIXON, A Jones
HILL/AJB/DK/G WILSON/D Adams, Pittman, Z Flowers, Evans
KITTLE
/
TEAM B - 16T, SF, TEP (22 R/U)
HURTS/MINSHEW, Cousins, D Jones
JT/JACOBS, Mostert, Gus E
HILL/MCLAURIN/DEEBO
KELCE/KITTLE, LaPorta
/
TEAM C - 14T, SF (Joined in 22)
GENO
HENRY/A JONES, Gus E
HILL/DIGGS/K ALLEN
WALLER
/
TEAM D - 14T, 1QB (Joined in 22)
MAHOMES, Goff
BIJAN/BREECE/POLLARD
CHASE/DIGGS/G WILSON/AIYUK, DJM, Pittman
KITTLE, Goedert
/
TEAM E - 14T, SF, 2TE (Started in 22)
MAHOMES/T-LAW, Carr
BIJAN/CMC/SAQUON/POLLARD, Hall
HILL/AIYUK/EVANS/GODWIN, Hollywood, Thielen
MCBRIDE/ENGRAM, Goedert, Chig
/
TEAM F - 16T (Joined in 23)
R WILSON, Minshew
SAQUON/KAMARA/MIXON, Monty
DIGGS/GODWIN/AIYUK/EVANS, Thielen, A Cooper
KELCE, Schultz
/
TEAM G - 12T, SF & TEP (Joined in 23)
HERBERT/TUA, Kyler
BIJAN/MIXON, Spears, J Warren
JJ/G WILSON/WADDLE/OLAVE, Godwin, J Reed
LAPORTA

onetwothree
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby onetwothree » Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:04 am

Favrezilla wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:42 pm What if he ends up on a team like KC? Where he's going to share targets for a long time with very good players in a low yardage offense?
Sounds like KC is already thinking to the future with a lot of mocks pointing to an early QB so I wouldn't worry too much about that. He should be a good RAC guy and might not take long to pass Maclin.

Would be slightly more worried about him ending up in a spot as a clear WR2 with a young-ish WR1 like Buffalo or Cincy. Still leaning towards taking him 1.01 since I have another top 5 pick and can go RB with it.

DYNASTY BALLA$
Starter
Starter

Postby DYNASTY BALLA$ » Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:53 am

I don't see that happening either, especially given Tyreek Hill's rookie year performance. I definitely see KC taking their next QB over another WR, unless they get jumped before their pick. In that case, I see them trading back.

However, in the unlikely event they drafted C.Davis, I think it would drop his draft value down to the 1.06 even if say BUF took Williams. There would just be too many targets to go around for a low-passing volume offense like KC (Maclin-Kelce-Hill-Davis would be #4 out the gate.. and #4 on a low volume team would be awful)
FFPC $2500 #6 ~ 12 team PPR/QB/TE1.5
RB: CMC, Zeke, Spears, Mattison, Justice Hill
WR: Kupp, Tyreek, Diggs, DSmith, MWilliams

FFPC $2500 #5 ~ 12 team PPR/QB/TE1.5 (2021 Champ)
RB: CMC, Jacobs, Ekeler, Monty, Achane,
WR: Kupp, Pittman, Amari, Ridley, Lockett

FFPC $750 #46 ~ 12 team PPR/QB/TE1.5
QB: Mahomes
RB: Bijan, Gibbs, Saquon, Kyren, Javonte
WR: Tyreek, Kupp, Waddle, Wan'Dale
TE: Hock, LaPorta

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:41 am

A good WR will get his targets, where they go shouldn't really factor much. Jeremy Maclin got 1000+ yards and 8tds with Alex Smith as his QB. Nobody on that team profiles as a WR1.

I can see giving a boost to a player that goes to a great situation, a'la Michael Thomas. But teams change fast in the NFL and you shouldn't be expecting production out of your rookie WR for at least 1-2 years.