POLL: Howard vs Njoku vs Engram

This is the spot for player-to-player comparisons.

Which has the best Dynasty/FF career?

OJ Howard
49%
David Njoku
19%
Evan Engram
32%

Total votes: 57

DYNASTY BALLA$
Starter
Starter

POLL: Howard vs Njoku vs Engram

Postby DYNASTY BALLA$ » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:53 am

Which has the best DYNASTY / FF career?

I know OJ Howard is considered the all-around top TE in this year's class, but which of the top 3 TE do you feel will have the best fantasy career?
FFPC $2500 #6 ~ 12 team PPR/QB/TE1.5
QB: Josh Allen
RB: CMC, Zeke, Spears, Mattison, Justice Hill
WR: Kupp, Tyreek, Diggs, DSmith, MWilliams
TE: Andrews, Ferguson

FFPC $2500 #5 ~ 12 team PPR/QB/TE1.5 (2021 Champ)
QB: Josh Allen
RB: CMC, Jacobs, Ekeler, Monty, Achane,
WR: Kupp, Pittman, Amari, Ridley, Lockett
TE: Andrews, Ferguson

FFPC $750 #46 ~ 12 team PPR/QB/TE1.5
QB: Mahomes
RB: Bijan, Gibbs, Saquon, Kyren, Javonte
WR: Tyreek, Kupp, Waddle, Wan'Dale
TE: Hock, LaPorta

ThatGuyBrian
Captain
Captain

Re: POLL: Howard vs Njoku vs Engram

Postby ThatGuyBrian » Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:09 am

To early to tell really and you would have to wait to see what team picks them. However I think that Engram will end up having the better career. It is easy to pick Howard because he is flashy but Engram is the better all around TE.
Current Win Now!!:
Chester
10 team PPR (1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 1 Flex, 1 Kicker, 1 Def/St) 27 man roster limit:
Qb Josh Allen, Joe Burrow
RB Jonathan Taylor, Christian McCaffery, Dalvin Cook, Saquon Barkley, Jk Dobbins, Gus Edwards, Eno Benjamin
WR Cooper Kupp, Michael Thomas, Chris Godwin, Juju Smith-Shuster, Brandon Aiyuk, Calvin Ridley (S), Zay Jones, Lavishka Shenault, Terrace Marshall,
TE George Kittle, Darren Waller, Pat Freiermuth
K Justin Tucker
Def/St Buffalo Bills, Carolina Panthers

Possibly competitive team
QB: DeShaun Watson, Daniel Jones, Cj Stroud
RB: Breece Hall, Travis Etienne, JK Dobbins, JaVonte Williams, Latavius Murray, Gus Edwards, Kenny McIntosh
WR: Calvin Ridley, Jaylen Waddle, Chris Olave, Michael Thomas, Garrett Wilson, Darnell Mooney, Romeo Doubs, Terrace Marshall, Justyn Ross, Kayshoun Boutte, Puka Nacka
TE: Kyle Pitts, Zach Ertz, Darren Waller, Tucker Kraft
K: Justin Tucker
D/St: Bills, Bucs

HEADBANGER
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby HEADBANGER » Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:39 pm

I'd still say Howard will be best career. Dude just looks and smells the part, can catch, run, block, height, weight.... His comp said to be Jimmy Graham.

Engram is on the smaller size and not a blocker so might limit his 3 down potential. He comp is said to be Jordan Reed. If he goes to the right team I can see him being a top 10 starter for many years.

Njoku is a project and raw, looks to be a physical specimen in the Vernon Davis mold. Tho a great player not overly productive or consistent as a fantasy player. He is probably the biggest risk of the three mentioned.
FF Player for 32 years, dynasty for the last 10 years.

Steelersfan
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Steelersfan » Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:28 pm

Howard

ELSOUZA
Rookie
Rookie

Postby ELSOUZA » Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:45 am

I think I'm taking Engram

onetwothree
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby onetwothree » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:12 am

Mentioned in another thread but Howard being a great blocker concerns me as the team might use him as a blocker more often and not have him run as many routes versus a guy like Engram who isn't as good of a blocker so will primarily be in as a receiving option.

IBall2
All Pro
All Pro

Postby IBall2 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:15 am

onetwothree wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:12 am Mentioned in another thread but Howard being a great blocker concerns me as the team might use him as a blocker more often and not have him run as many routes versus a guy like Engram who isn't as good of a blocker so will primarily be in as a receiving option.
This is known as the 'Julius Thomas effect'. He can't block so he's only on the field for passing plays and this tips off the defense to watch the pass and not worry so much for the run. If they ask him to block, he's a liability and doesn't see as much time on the field. Coaches pull their hair out because of these type of TE's.

I think it's a weak argument to say Howard is going to lose targets because he's going to be busy blocking. He has the advantage of staying on the field for designed run plays where-as some other rookie TEs that can't block have to come off the field which costs the team valuable time and if the TE is only used as a passer, that eats up one of the WR positions that could be useful in some situations. If they're running a hurry up offense because they think they have an advantage with the personnel on the field for the Defense, they can't sub in one of these other rookie tight-ends. Howard however would most likely already be on the field and ready to take advantage of the mismatch.

onetwothree
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby onetwothree » Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:02 pm

IBall2 wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:15 am
This is known as the 'Julius Thomas effect'. He can't block so he's only on the field for passing plays and this tips off the defense to watch the pass and not worry so much for the run. If they ask him to block, he's a liability and doesn't see as much time on the field. Coaches pull their hair out because of these type of TE's.

I think it's a weak argument to say Howard is going to lose targets because he's going to be busy blocking. He has the advantage of staying on the field for designed run plays where-as some other rookie TEs that can't block have to come off the field which costs the team valuable time and if the TE is only used as a passer, that eats up one of the WR positions that could be useful in some situations. If they're running a hurry up offense because they think they have an advantage with the personnel on the field for the Defense, they can't sub in one of these other rookie tight-ends. Howard however would most likely already be on the field and ready to take advantage of the mismatch.
Not necessarily. Let's say he goes to a team with a weak offensive line. They'll use the extra body to help bolster their run blocking and pass protection. Just something to consider. That's all. Alabama has a pretty good offensive line and aside from the National Championship games, I just don't recall many times that Howard was used as a pass catcher and instead use him to help with their run blocking. A lot of Howard's value is based on projections so just pumping the brakes a bit. Of course I have 1.08 and would be more than happy to take him there.!

FiremanEd
Legend
Legend

Postby FiremanEd » Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:09 pm

ThatGuyBrian wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:09 am To early to tell really and you would have to wait to see what team picks them. However I think that Engram will end up having the better career. It is easy to pick Howard because he is flashy but Engram is the better all around TE.
I agree with the first part, but don't understand the last piece. In fact, it seems backwards. Howard is easily the better all around TE, but Engram is more flashy and potentially the more productive fantasy career given he's primarily a pass catcher (if not WR playing TE). His big strength is what the fantasy game is built on.

Hvy20
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Hvy20 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:04 pm

Is Engram really even a TE? I watched tape/ researched him recently and he is an outstanding receiver but not a blocker. I want my TEs on the field all 3 downs, not just on passing plays. As someone mentioned, TEs that don't block have limited use. Yes receiving TEs are best for fantasy, but TEs that do it all are on the field more with more opportunities.
Also, Engrams size and speed would tell me he's more of a WR. I don't know where this guy fits on a team, you have to worry about landing spot and how they use him. It has to be somewhere though, his receiving skills are undeniable.
12 Man Dynasty w/ Contract Years
6pts pass/rush/rec TDs; 1 PPR - QB, RB, 2WR, 1TE, 2 O-flex(RB,WR or TE), 2DL, 2LB, 2DB, 1 D-Flex

QB: A.Luck, D.Prescott, A.Smith
RB: C.Hyde, T.Rawls, R.Kelley, R.Mathews, J.Ferguson, A.Collins
WR: J.Jones, M.Evans, D.Adams, D.Parker, T.Boyd, DGB, L.Treadwell, M.Mitchell, G.Allison
TE: T.Eifert, J.Witten, A.Hooper
DL: F.Cox, C.Dunlap, D.Fowler, T.Flowers
LB: C.Mosley, K.Alonso, M. Te'o, A.Barr, R.Wilson
DB: H.Clinton-Dix, B.Church, R.Darby, S.Davis, J.Addae

GridironGuerilla
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby GridironGuerilla » Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:27 am

I have no real opinion here but I'm extremely interested as i have a couple of picks in the mid and late first and am considering getting a share or two of this TE class. Might be a little early but it's in the range of possibilities.
"If on 4th down, the quarterback doesn't complete his pass, they will turn over the ball."

-Booger McFarlland

stoneghost28
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby stoneghost28 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:25 am

IBall2 wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:15 am
onetwothree wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:12 am Mentioned in another thread but Howard being a great blocker concerns me as the team might use him as a blocker more often and not have him run as many routes versus a guy like Engram who isn't as good of a blocker so will primarily be in as a receiving option.

I have heard scouts/and analysts say that it makes zero sense to use Engram as a TE, that he should be and probably will be converted to just a massive size/speed WR weapon. If this ends up happening, he won't tip off teams about the play calling. Will be interesting to see where he lands and how they choose to use him (apparently he was adequate at the senior bowl if I remember right-memory is a bit hazy).

stoneghost28
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby stoneghost28 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:32 am

Hvy20 wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:04 pm Is Engram really even a TE? I watched tape/ researched him recently and he is an outstanding receiver but not a blocker. I want my TEs on the field all 3 downs, not just on passing plays. As someone mentioned, TEs that don't block have limited use. Yes receiving TEs are best for fantasy, but TEs that do it all are on the field more with more opportunities.
Also, Engrams size and speed would tell me he's more of a WR. I don't know where this guy fits on a team, you have to worry about landing spot and how they use him. It has to be somewhere though, his receiving skills are undeniable.
A good portion of insiders I've heard talk about him say he should be converted to WR, not that he will be, depends on landing spot and intentions, but that he definitely should be, that he's wasted at TE.