Jordan Matthews

This is the spot for player-to-player comparisons.
TheDogPound
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Jordan Matthews

Postby TheDogPound » Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:32 pm

Since Alshon Jeffery has signed and Torrey Smith; In addition to Zach Ertz still vying for his fair share of targets, does any of this bode well for JMatt?

Can he be viable or a sleeper option in fantasy? Or is he a dud completely? What are your thoughts on JMatt this upcoming season?

My reason in creating this post is due to the fact that my final keeper decision in a PPR league is going to come down to JMatt and Paul Perkins. I think JMatt began to develop a relationship with C.Wentz last season, despite his mediocre performance. I knew that Philly would add WR help. I am not writing him off, however, I am not sure what to think.

Dyno_7
Role Player
Role Player

Re: Jordan Matthews

Postby Dyno_7 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:00 pm

I still believe JM will be the WR2 for Philly. Jeffrey will be the alpha dog which is expected. But I don't see Torrey Smith being any different than anywhere he's been before. A boom or bust deep option to spread the field. He'll have a few great games, but nothing dependable. This will leave JM and Ertz open in the middle and so far Matthews has been the better redzone target.

Don't forget Matthews was nursing a sore ankle for most of the season while Philly was breaking in a rookie QB. I still think he can return to be a WR3, or bye week sub. Plus, Jeffery only has a 1yr deal in Philly. If he leaves and Philly keeps Matthews, he could be back to their WR1 in 2018.
TEAMS 1&2: 10tm. Non-PPR +IDP.
Starters: 1QB-2RB-3WR-1TE-1K-2DL-1EDR-3LB-3DB

TEAM 1:
QB: C.Wentz, P.Rivers, J.Rosen, L.Jackson.
RB: J.Mixon, L.Fournette, J.Howard, D.Williams
WR: O.BeckhamJr, M.Thomas, S.Diggs, J.Smith-Schuster, S.Watkins, C.Godwin, C.Sutton.
TE: Z.Ertz, M.Gesicki, G.Kittle.
DL: D.Hunter, D.Barnett, C.Jones.
EDR: H.Landry.
LB: M.Jack, Z.Cunningham, A.Williamson, L.Vander Esch, C.Littleton.
DB: R.Jones, B.McDougald, S.Williams.

TEAM 2:
QB: D.Watson.
RB: D.Cook, A.Kamara, J.Mixon, C.Hyde, N.Chubb, A.Jones.
WR: A.Cooper, M.Thomas, J.Smith-Schuster, J.Gordon, M.Williams, K.Golladay, C.Godwin, C.Kirk.
TE: E.Engram, D.Njoku, D.Goedert.
DL: K.Mack, D.Hunter, D.Ware
EDR: V.Miller
LB: T.Smith, M.Jack, D.Jones, Z.Cunningham, T.Edmunds, L.Vander Esch.
DB: B.Baker, D.James, C.Geathers.

TheDogPound
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby TheDogPound » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:57 pm

Bnew_7 wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:00 pm I still believe JM will be the WR2 for Philly. Jeffrey will be the alpha dog which is expected. But I don't see Torrey Smith being any different than anywhere he's been before. A boom or bust deep option to spread the field. He'll have a few great games, but nothing dependable. This will leave JM and Ertz open in the middle and so far Matthews has been the better redzone target.

Don't forget Matthews was nursing a sore ankle for most of the season while Philly was breaking in a rookie QB. I still think he can return to be a WR3, or bye week sub. Plus, Jeffery only has a 1yr deal in Philly. If he leaves and Philly keeps Matthews, he could be back to their WR1 in 2018.
Awesome perspective! Thanks!!

Dyno_7
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Dyno_7 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:24 pm

If I'm wrong on him, I'll own it. I just think he put up promising numbers as a rookie & 2nd year player (which isn't typical), with Sam Bradford & Mark Sanchez :thumbdown: throwing him the ball. Granted a Chip Kelly offense gave him more snaps, but it was still a rather dysfunctional time in Philly. With Jeffery commanding the other team's best defender, Matthews should be able to create some mismatches in the slot. It's probably a make or break year for him, but I'm giving him that chance.
TEAMS 1&2: 10tm. Non-PPR +IDP.
Starters: 1QB-2RB-3WR-1TE-1K-2DL-1EDR-3LB-3DB

TEAM 1:
QB: C.Wentz, P.Rivers, J.Rosen, L.Jackson.
RB: J.Mixon, L.Fournette, J.Howard, D.Williams
WR: O.BeckhamJr, M.Thomas, S.Diggs, J.Smith-Schuster, S.Watkins, C.Godwin, C.Sutton.
TE: Z.Ertz, M.Gesicki, G.Kittle.
DL: D.Hunter, D.Barnett, C.Jones.
EDR: H.Landry.
LB: M.Jack, Z.Cunningham, A.Williamson, L.Vander Esch, C.Littleton.
DB: R.Jones, B.McDougald, S.Williams.

TEAM 2:
QB: D.Watson.
RB: D.Cook, A.Kamara, J.Mixon, C.Hyde, N.Chubb, A.Jones.
WR: A.Cooper, M.Thomas, J.Smith-Schuster, J.Gordon, M.Williams, K.Golladay, C.Godwin, C.Kirk.
TE: E.Engram, D.Njoku, D.Goedert.
DL: K.Mack, D.Hunter, D.Ware
EDR: V.Miller
LB: T.Smith, M.Jack, D.Jones, Z.Cunningham, T.Edmunds, L.Vander Esch.
DB: B.Baker, D.James, C.Geathers.

lukkynumber13
GOAT
GOAT

Postby lukkynumber13 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:52 pm

There is no legitimate argument to be made that JMatt has disappointed for what he's accomplished over his first 3 years. Has his statistical arc been less than what we hoped for? Sure. Because his rookie season was fantastic! We hoped for an arc more along the lines of Evans, and we've had an arc closer to Amari Cooper. But think about that, and let that sink in. Now I'm not saying he's anything close to the talent that Cooper is, but the statistical comparison is very fair.
TEAM A - 12T (22 R/U, 20 R/U, 19 R/U, 18 Champ, 17 R/U)
HERBERT, Baker
BIJAN/KAMARA/MIXON, A Jones
HILL/AJB/DK/G WILSON/D Adams, Pittman, Z Flowers, Evans
KITTLE
/
TEAM B - 16T, SF, TEP (22 R/U)
HURTS/MINSHEW, Cousins, D Jones
JT/JACOBS, Mostert, Gus E
HILL/MCLAURIN/DEEBO
KELCE/KITTLE, LaPorta
/
TEAM C - 14T, SF (Joined in 22)
GENO
HENRY/A JONES, Gus E
HILL/DIGGS/K ALLEN
WALLER
/
TEAM D - 14T, 1QB (Joined in 22)
MAHOMES, Goff
BIJAN/BREECE/POLLARD
CHASE/DIGGS/G WILSON/AIYUK, DJM, Pittman
KITTLE, Goedert
/
TEAM E - 14T, SF, 2TE (Started in 22)
MAHOMES/T-LAW, Carr
BIJAN/CMC/SAQUON/POLLARD, Hall
HILL/AIYUK/EVANS/GODWIN, Hollywood, Thielen
MCBRIDE/ENGRAM, Goedert, Chig
/
TEAM F - 16T (Joined in 23)
R WILSON, Minshew
SAQUON/KAMARA/MIXON, Monty
DIGGS/GODWIN/AIYUK/EVANS, Thielen, A Cooper
KELCE, Schultz
/
TEAM G - 12T, SF & TEP (Joined in 23)
HERBERT/TUA, Kyler
BIJAN/MIXON, Spears, J Warren
JJ/G WILSON/WADDLE/OLAVE, Godwin, J Reed
LAPORTA

TheDogPound
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby TheDogPound » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:16 pm

Wow, Great convo on JMatt. I think the both of you are stating a similar trend on him. I think it's all fair and valid.

I am leery but optimistic about him. For the most part I feel that same way. I do think the Cooper/M.Evans comparisons are a revelation. Lol I am going to take a closer look at the statistics though.

I really wonder what the potential can be with him, especially with the prospects of C.Wentz developing into a very good QB. I just read an article the mentioned how he attempted a ton of passes last season. All in all, I think he is either going to plateau into for the most part what he is today or he could boom into a formidable WR2 if not an all out WR1.

I can remember when Alshon and B.Marshall played together and for a few seasons and they both were WR1s (if I remember correctly).

rschroeder1
Rookie
Rookie

Postby rschroeder1 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:32 pm

Just wanted to add that Matthews is also a UFA after '17, as far as looking to '18 and beyond, if Jeffery were to leave.

To answer the OP's question, I view Matthews as a bit of a sleeper. You have a pretty good sense of the floor, but as others have said, legit WR2 numbers aren't out of the question if Jeffery can stay healthy and be a force.

pvillebiker
Captain
Captain

Postby pvillebiker » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:50 pm

rschroeder1 wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:32 pm Just wanted to add that Matthews is also a UFA after '17, as far as looking to '18 and beyond, if Jeffery were to leave.
Or if say... now I'm just spit balling here... totally hypothetically of course ... What if.. And this is a pretty BIG IF!!!! heh heh Jeffery gets injured somewhere deep into the season...like week #3 or so. and stays on again off again the rest of the year. Yah, me thinks if J-Matt takes the eagles Challenge and works iz self into tippy top shape in the off season. Well, then he could be in for a huge surprise monster year. Alshon will surely cede him an opportunity or 6 to do so. 'course, Torrey Smith will have his traditional 2 or 3 huge games, but disappear the rest of the year. #Rooting4UJ-Matt!!!! #EaglesAren'tChallengingYouEnuffDude

TheDogPound
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby TheDogPound » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:56 pm

pvillebiker wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:50 pm
rschroeder1 wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:32 pm Just wanted to add that Matthews is also a UFA after '17, as far as looking to '18 and beyond, if Jeffery were to leave.
Or if say... now I'm just spit balling here... totally hypothetically of course ... What if.. And this is a pretty BIG IF!!!! heh heh Jeffery gets injured somewhere deep into the season...like week #3 or so. and stays on again off again the rest of the year. Yah, me thinks if J-Matt takes the eagles Challenge and works iz self into tippy top shape in the off season. Well, then he could be in for a huge surprise monster year. Alshon will surely cede him an opportunity or 6 to do so. 'course, Torrey Smith will have his traditional 2 or 3 huge games, but disappear the rest of the year. #Rooting4UJ-Matt!!!! #EaglesAren'tChallengingYouEnuffDude

Ha ha Nice! I like this post!! Lol

I am hopeful that they both can shine but I'll definitely take JMatt booming instead. Lol

greenbird
Starter
Starter

Postby greenbird » Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:01 am

Matthews is a wr3/wr2. If that is what you are looking for than you won't be upset.

TheDogPound
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby TheDogPound » Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:29 pm

greenbird wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:01 am Matthews is a wr3/wr2. If that is what you are looking for than you won't be upset.
So you don't think he has any wr2/wr1 upside?

lukkynumber13
GOAT
GOAT

Postby lukkynumber13 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:35 pm

TheDogPound wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:29 pm
greenbird wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:01 am Matthews is a wr3/wr2. If that is what you are looking for than you won't be upset.
In a PPR he has high end WR2 upside all day long. No reason he can't develop into a 90-1100-10 guy a la Marques Colston
HERBERT, Baker
KITTLE
/
HILL/MCLAURIN/DEEBO
KELCE/KITTLE, LaPorta
/
GENO
HENRY/A JONES, Gus E
HILL/DIGGS/K ALLEN
WALLER
/
TEAM D - 14T, 1QB (Joined in 22)
MAHOMES, Goff
BIJAN/BREECE/POLLARD
CHASE/DIGGS/G WILSON/AIYUK, DJM, Pittman
KITTLE, Goedert
/
TEAM E - 14T, SF, 2TE (Started in 22)
MAHOMES/T-LAW, Carr
BIJAN/CMC/SAQUON/POLLARD, Hall
HILL/AIYUK/EVANS/GODWIN, Hollywood, Thielen
MCBRIDE/ENGRAM, Goedert, Chig
/
TEAM F - 16T (Joined in 23)
R WILSON, Minshew
SAQUON/KAMARA/MIXON, Monty
DIGGS/GODWIN/AIYUK/EVANS, Thielen, A Cooper
KELCE, Schultz
/
TEAM G - 12T, SF & TEP (Joined in 23)
HERBERT/TUA, Kyler
BIJAN/MIXON, Spears, J Warren
JJ/G WILSON/WADDLE/OLAVE, Godwin, J Reed
LAPORTA

esloan35
All Pro
All Pro

Postby esloan35 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:51 am

lukkynumber13 wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:35 pm
TheDogPound wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:29 pm
In a PPR he has high end WR2 upside all day long. No reason he can't develop into a 90-1100-10 guy a la Marques Colston
x2

Nathan28
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Nathan28 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:30 am

I've been trying to deal him for any of the 1.06 -1.09 rookie picks. offered J Matt straight for for each pick individual and got declines on all. was pretty surprised. What's his value in rookie picks?

lukkynumber13
GOAT
GOAT

Postby lukkynumber13 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:52 am

Nathan28 wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:30 am I've been trying to deal him for any of the 1.06 -1.09 rookie picks. offered J Matt straight for for each pick individual and got declines on all. was pretty surprised. What's his value in rookie picks?
I would sell him for the 1.05. I would pay the 1.08 or so
HERBERT, Baker
KITTLE
/
HILL/MCLAURIN/DEEBO
KELCE/KITTLE, LaPorta
/