Wanting to start a salary/contract league..need input

Postby HCOFTRC » Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:14 pm

Right now here's the base plan:

12 teams
$100 cap
20 man rosters
50 contract years
1-3 yrs per contract

1 Franchise tag: When a contract expires, you can resign the player.. His new yearly salary is the average of top 5 players at his position.. And can only be kept 1 year. Player becomes FA after that year

1 contract renegotiation a year: Player can only be done once.. Player must be outside of top 10 at his position to be renegotiated.

Need help on the following:

What % for cap hit on dropped player?

What happens to retired players contracts?

IR cap hit?? 25%, 50%, 100%???

Hard or soft cap?

How do FA contracts work? $ bid becomes salary for that year.. but what about years?

Thanks!
@_The_Red_King_

bonscott
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Re: Wanting to start a salary/contract league..need input

Postby bonscott » Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:50 am

Based on the league I'm in...

What % for cap hit on dropped player? 50% plus a future cap hit for contracts longer then 1. Detailed in the other thread you started for that.

What happens to retired players contracts? One of two things...you take whatever cap hit there is. Or we started in my league that you can apply to have future cap hit waived if you want to drop a retired player with more then 1 year on it. Rarely happens.

IR cap hit?? 25%, 50%, 100%??? Our IR has no savings on cap (so count 100%). Rookie taxi squad only counts 50% of their salary toward the cap.

Hard or soft cap? Hard cap all the way, must always be under it.

How do FA contracts work? $ bid becomes salary for that year.. but what about years? Off-season vet auction will set salaries for free agents. In-season blind bidding will set salaries for free agents then. All salaries increase 10% a year no matter how they were acquired.

SteelLake
Starter
Starter

Postby SteelLake » Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:07 am

My league (just so you get a variety / then can make your own decisions)

What % for cap hit on dropped player? See the other thread for my response

What happens to retired players contracts?

If a player announces his retirement, his salary won't be held against his owner if he's:
Under 35 (for qb / k)
Under 33 (te)
Under 32 (wr)
Under 30 (rb)
by the start of the next NFL season following his retirement. In-season retirements will always temporarily be viewed as dead cap (that will be forgiven in the offseason, if he meets the age requirements listed above at the time of his retirement, rather than at the next season). If a player is older than the age thresholds, his entire salary cap will be counted against his owner, and normal buyout rules apply.

We did this so players get punished if they "risk it" for old guys, but aren't punished for surprise retirements they couldn't predict

IR cap hit?? 25%, 50%, 100%???
1. A player will be eligible for the Injured Reserve is he is placed on the NFL IR List.
2. A player placed on the Injured Reserve must be removed from the IR when he is removed from the NFL IR List within a week of the announcement of the player being removed from the IR. The owner must become cap compliant within a week with the former IR player off the IR or will receive 0 points in any matchups.
3. A player officially suspended by the NFL, may be placed on Injured Reserve for the duration of his suspension, if he has never formally been suspended by the NFL before. If a player has formally been suspended by the NFL, and is suspended again, he may not be placed on Injured Reserve.
4. Sections XII A 3 does not apply to on-the field suspensions (they don’t count against the player for previous suspensions, but they also may not be placed on IR for on-the field suspensions). On-the field suspensions will be reserved for actions that normally lead to an on-the field penalty (examples excessive celebrations and late hate), but are so excessive (or repetitive) that the NFL decided to suspend a player. Ndamukong Suh’s suspension was for on-the-field actions. Tom Brady’s would be considered off-the-field.

We did this because if a player takes a "risk" on a Josh Gordon, they should have to take a risk.. but I don't want someone getting screwed over for an "out-of-nowhere" Aaron Hernandez type thing that they can't control

Hard or soft cap?
Hard in-season. Soft during season.. Allows guys some wiggle room to wheel and deal during the off-season

How do FA contracts work? $ bid becomes salary for that year.. but what about years?
We have long RFA rules based on rookie contracts (and rules on how that is normally set). I can go into that if you want. For UFA's, its just a normal auction for salary per year... team then sets the years later (1-4), we have no price increase for duration of that contract (might if re-signed depending on things)
Drew Christopher Brees Football Squad
Dynasty League (10 team)
2013-Present (11 years)
2017, 2022 Champion
8 playoff appearances
Record: 95-61

Keenan Alexander Allen Football Squad
Contract League (12 teams)
2015-Present (8 years)
2022, 2023 Champion
8 Playoff appearances
Record: 84-42

Dar's Outcasts
Redraft league (8-10 teams)
2020- Present (4 years)
2023 Champion
4 Playoff appearances
Record: 41-16

SteelLake
Starter
Starter

Postby SteelLake » Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:13 am

If you pm me an e-mail, I'll send you our league by-laws (only change I'll make is taking out owners contacts info).

Our by-laws are probably too long / complex (7,600 words), but it might give you some ideas. Obviously they aren't perfect, but when I set them up I found it best to look at other leagues and take what I liked / leave out what I didn't. My by-laws are essentially 4 leagues' bylaws combined and then only sprinkled in with completely new ideas haha.
Drew Christopher Brees Football Squad
Dynasty League (10 team)
2013-Present (11 years)
2017, 2022 Champion
8 playoff appearances
Record: 95-61

Keenan Alexander Allen Football Squad
Contract League (12 teams)
2015-Present (8 years)
2022, 2023 Champion
8 Playoff appearances
Record: 84-42