New to salary cap league start up

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
PistolsFiring
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

New to salary cap league start up

Postby PistolsFiring » Tue Jun 02, 2015 6:36 am

Hey guys, this is my first year for a salary cap league. I don't know anything about it and would like some input on what I should do.

How much focus should I put on a good running back? How much should I spend?

Really looking for any and all advice as this is my first salary cap/contract league!

The league is set up as follows!

10 team standard scoring ( 5 yr commitment)
$350 auction draft
55 contract years
3 building block players (up to 5 years)
1QB 2RB 2WR 1 flex 1 TE 1 K 1 DL 1 LB 1 DB

I will appreciate all Input. Thanks
Team 1

Auction, Salary cap, PPR League

QB- Matt Ryan

RB- Yeldon- Forsett, Rawls, J Allen
WR- J Jones, J Brown, N Agholor, Edelman
TE- Kelce

junk_monkey
Role Player
Role Player

Re: New to salary cap league start up

Postby junk_monkey » Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:34 am

Looking at the line-up setup, let's get a couple of things out the way - I would spend the minimum on defensive players (and kickers, but that should go without saying). You start so few defensive players and, aside from a select few, the scoring can be pretty random, so you should be able to spend very little money and get a decent selection of starters. The only exception is pretty much JJ Watt as he's basically IDP Superman and (so far) seems less susceptible to the inconsistent scoring that virtually every other player is. That's not to say there aren't good players IDP players, just that from a fantasy perspective there aren't really other elite talents like there are at WR etc.

Given it's 10 teams and not very deep line-ups, I would be looking at spending most of my budget on WRs. Elite WRs. You have to be guided by the room on how much is fair to pay - if everyone is bidding $100+ for an elite WR then you know that's the price that they will go for. If it's lower then you're in luck and should stock up on as many as possible.

Personally I wouldn't spend a lot to get Rodgers or Luck. Matt Ryan is the kind of level I like - he'll score pretty high but will be about a third of the price or less than those guys. Better to invest in other positions. With only 10 QBs getting started any week there's no incentive to spend big on one for me.

RBs - don't lock up too much money in anyone who's not proven - there's too much turnover from one year to the next. I say that as someone who spent too much on Geovani Bernard last summer. As good as I think he is, and I think he can bounce back, he's now in a timeshare with Jeremy Hill. Things change rapidly at RB so unless you're sure he's the number 1 guy for a few years let others spend their money (unless you're really confident of course).

There's loads of advice through this forum about start-ups and how much to spend, etc, so search through and see what else you can find.

One other thing - you don't mention total roster sizes that you have to spread those contract years across, or rules for extensions to contracts. Those will influence some decisions. And I'm not sure what you mean by '3 building block players'...
The DynaBowl Fantasy Football League (Commissioner) est 2014
10 team non-PPR, $600 salary cap, full IDP (big play), 50 Roster spots, 10 Taxi
QB, 2-3 RB, 3-4 WR, 1-2 TE (2 offensive flex), K, PN, 1-2 DT, 2 DE, 3-4 LB, 2 CB, 2 S (1 defensive flex)
Team: Dynablaster Bombermen
Roster - Too big to post(!)
2019 - Champions; 2016 - 3rd

The ChatterBowl Redraft Fantasy Football League - est 2012 - 16 team, non-PPR
2014, 2015 - Champions, 2012 - 3rd, 2017 - 4th

PistolsFiring
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby PistolsFiring » Wed Jun 03, 2015 6:49 am

Thanks junk! I appreciate your input!
Team 1

QB- Matt Ryan

TE- Kelce

ratfilth
Rookie
Rookie

Postby ratfilth » Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:04 am

One bit of quick advice get a great LB that idp will get you the most point out of all idps L.David is a good pick.
http://walterfootball.com/draft2015ILB.php this should help you find rookie lbs if you want to go cheap.
also, If you got jj watt he may score tds but might not happen this year with a new coach.

gramtag
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby gramtag » Thu Jun 11, 2015 3:30 pm

Agreed that Watt and L. David are the only IDPs you should spend more than $1 on in the startup until your league gets some more IDPs going. If you're not the commish you should start pushing him to get the IDP number up to at least 6 or so down the road. With so few at each position it's barely worth it to invest anything in them at all. Watt would give you a Gronk-like positional advantage, especially if your league counts offensive TDs for IDPs, seeing as he scored a few last year and will probably score even more this year. Make sure you check out your league settings on that. If your league does count them, spend up to $15-$20 on him if you want and lock him up. Maybe $5-$10 for David. But don't be thinking you need those guys to be successful.

Junk is right that WRs are where your money should go here, and if you get a proven guy at a decent cost you should lock him up as a building block player. Look at Nelson and Cobb as great investments because both are locked into long-term contracts with Rodgers, who is the only locked-in-elite QB that has several years left in his career. Those two receivers aren't of the break-the-bank variety either. Julio or Calvin have good long-term situations as well but you'll be paying out the bleep for them. Kelvin Benjamin is another guy you can probably get at an affordable price who would be great to lock up.

My advice would be to spend your big bucks on those elite RBs, but definitely DON'T lock them up for more than this year. Everyone knows that RBs have very fluid value from year-to-year so there's usually a good market of available backs left over in free agency each year. Just go back next year and buy the same guy for a similar price or buy some other new stud.

And yeah with QBs, don't go crazy. I'd go for an upper mid-range guy with a high ceiling like Ben. They're giving him a solid 3rd-round receiver every year now. That stable of WRs with a stabilized line and another year in the same system in which he was a top-5 guy last year are all indicators of even more success this year. And he'll go for $30-$40 less than Rodgers or Luck for about 3 fewer points per week. AND you might get those crazy 6-TD, week-winning games again. Worth it.
12-team, $340 hard cap, 50% drop penalty in current year with descending future penalties
34-man rosters. Starting:
1-2QB, 2-4RB, 3-6WR, 1-2TE, 2-3DL, 2-3LB, 2-3DB, 7-IDP total
Max contract 4yrs, 4 yrs for 1st-Rounders at scale, 55 total years
non-ppr, 5pt. Passing TD

QB: T. Taylor ($1/ 1yr)
RB: D. Murray ($38/ 1yr) Matt Jones ($2/ 2yrs) J. Starks ($2/ 1yr)
WR: J. Jones ($57/ 1yr) John Brown ($15/ 3 yrs) N. Agholor ($12/ 3yrs) J. Matthews ($8/ a yrs) D. Hopkins ($10/ 1yr) Sammie Coates ($2/ 3yrs)
TE: --
LB: Eric Kendricks ($6/ 2yrs) Luke Kuechly ($12/ 1yr)
DL: Ezekiel Ansah ($3/ 2yrs) Efferson Griffen ($2/ 2yrs)
DB: Deone Buchannon ($1/ 1yr)
K: --
Picks: Pick 8, no 1st in 2016, two 2nds in 2016, two 5ths in 2016; all 2017 picks
Taxi Squad: Josh Robinson ($2/ 2yrs) Sammie Coates ($4/ 2yrs) Ka'deem Carey ($6/ 1yr) Kenny Bell ($2/ 2yrs)

PistolsFiring
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby PistolsFiring » Fri Jun 12, 2015 7:12 am

gramtag wrote:Agreed that Watt and L. David are the only IDPs you should spend more than $1 on in the startup until your league gets some more IDPs going. If you're not the commish you should start pushing him to get the IDP number up to at least 6 or so down the road. With so few at each position it's barely worth it to invest anything in them at all. Watt would give you a Gronk-like positional advantage, especially if your league counts offensive TDs for IDPs, seeing as he scored a few last year and will probably score even more this year. Make sure you check out your league settings on that. If your league does count them, spend up to $15-$20 on him if you want and lock him up. Maybe $5-$10 for David. But don't be thinking you need those guys to be successful.

Junk is right that WRs are where your money should go here, and if you get a proven guy at a decent cost you should lock him up as a building block player. Look at Nelson and Cobb as great investments because both are locked into long-term contracts with Rodgers, who is the only locked-in-elite QB that has several years left in his career. Those two receivers aren't of the break-the-bank variety either. Julio or Calvin have good long-term situations as well but you'll be paying out the bleep for them. Kelvin Benjamin is another guy you can probably get at an affordable price who would be great to lock up.

My advice would be to spend your big bucks on those elite RBs, but definitely DON'T lock them up for more than this year. Everyone knows that RBs have very fluid value from year-to-year so there's usually a good market of available backs left over in free agency each year. Just go back next year and buy the same guy for a similar price or buy some other new stud.

And yeah with QBs, don't go crazy. I'd go for an upper mid-range guy with a high ceiling like Ben. They're giving him a solid 3rd-round receiver every year now. That stable of WRs with a stabilized line and another year in the same system in which he was a top-5 guy last year are all indicators of even more success this year. And he'll go for $30-$40 less than Rodgers or Luck for about 3 fewer points per week. AND you might get those crazy 6-TD, week-winning games again. Worth it.

Thank you for a very detailed response I do appreciate that!

What do you think a fair amount is for a lacy, bell Rb?

Our salary cap is 350
Team 1

QB- Matt Ryan

TE- Kelce

gramtag
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby gramtag » Sat Jun 13, 2015 2:50 pm

My league cap is $340, so basically the same as yours. I put Lacy on the Franchise Tag for $66 this year and that may be a savings of a few bucks. The #1 RB usually goes for $70ish. We're in a QB-Flex, non-PPR league though so that pushes QB values up (top QBs around $70, too) and WR values down (top WRs around $55). That may mean RBs will cost a little more in your league. I'm sure Bell will go for about the same as Lacy.

Just noticing that you're a 10-team league vs. our 12-teamer, so actually I'd look to boost those numbers by about $10-$15.

The Football Guys' membership has a killer tool for auctions/ salary cap that I'd highly highly recommend. And I have zero actual affiliation with them other than that I love those guys and the tools and content they put out. This particular tool will give you suggested prices for every player given your league specs. And they get super detailed, too. Your prices won't change too much from a redraft auction to a dynasty auction, so don't worry about that much, if at all. That tool quite honestly helped me slay my first salary cap auction and win my first year. I totally forget what the specific app or tool is called though but it is part of their $30-or-so membership, which is well worth it.

Yeesh, they really should be paying me for this.
12-team, $340 hard cap, 50% drop penalty in current year with descending future penalties
34-man rosters. Starting:
1-2QB, 2-4RB, 3-6WR, 1-2TE, 2-3DL, 2-3LB, 2-3DB, 7-IDP total
Max contract 4yrs, 4 yrs for 1st-Rounders at scale, 55 total years
non-ppr, 5pt. Passing TD

QB: T. Taylor ($1/ 1yr)
RB: D. Murray ($38/ 1yr) Matt Jones ($2/ 2yrs) J. Starks ($2/ 1yr)
WR: J. Jones ($57/ 1yr) John Brown ($15/ 3 yrs) N. Agholor ($12/ 3yrs) J. Matthews ($8/ a yrs) D. Hopkins ($10/ 1yr) Sammie Coates ($2/ 3yrs)
TE: --
LB: Eric Kendricks ($6/ 2yrs) Luke Kuechly ($12/ 1yr)
DL: Ezekiel Ansah ($3/ 2yrs) Efferson Griffen ($2/ 2yrs)
DB: Deone Buchannon ($1/ 1yr)
K: --
Picks: Pick 8, no 1st in 2016, two 2nds in 2016, two 5ths in 2016; all 2017 picks
Taxi Squad: Josh Robinson ($2/ 2yrs) Sammie Coates ($4/ 2yrs) Ka'deem Carey ($6/ 1yr) Kenny Bell ($2/ 2yrs)

PistolsFiring
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby PistolsFiring » Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:28 am

gramtag wrote:My league cap is $340, so basically the same as yours. I put Lacy on the Franchise Tag for $66 this year and that may be a savings of a few bucks. The #1 RB usually goes for $70ish. We're in a QB-Flex, non-PPR league though so that pushes QB values up (top QBs around $70, too) and WR values down (top WRs around $55). That may mean RBs will cost a little more in your league. I'm sure Bell will go for about the same as Lacy.

Just noticing that you're a 10-team league vs. our 12-teamer, so actually I'd look to boost those numbers by about $10-$15.

The Football Guys' membership has a killer tool for auctions/ salary cap that I'd highly highly recommend. And I have zero actual affiliation with them other than that I love those guys and the tools and content they put out. This particular tool will give you suggested prices for every player given your league specs. And they get super detailed, too. Your prices won't change too much from a redraft auction to a dynasty auction, so don't worry about that much, if at all. That tool quite honestly helped me slay my first salary cap auction and win my first year. I totally forget what the specific app or tool is called though but it is part of their $30-or-so membership, which is well worth it.

Yeesh, they really should be paying me for this.

Lol thanks again man! I really do appreciate it! I will look into that membership!!!

Thank you so much!
Team 1

QB- Matt Ryan

TE- Kelce