"Realistic" contracts in MFL

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
DonnieSmith14
Rookie
Rookie

"Realistic" contracts in MFL

Postby DonnieSmith14 » Thu May 14, 2015 6:01 am

Wondering if anybody does this and if so, how much hassle is it.

I play in a couple of cap leagues and they're fairly standard. 1-5 year contracts, auction determines salary. Yearly 10% increase in salary.

I was curious if anyone runs a system with more realistic contracts and salaries that owners could determine when they sign a player. e.g. frontloading a deal or have low initial salary and higher later on.

I could probably build a spreadsheet to work this, I'm just worried it might become an admin nightmare to keep up to date.

My plan would be that you'd use an auction to determine salaries and then it would be up to the owner to determine contract length (all standard so far)

If they chose a 5 year deal you'd take the initial salary x 1.1 (10% increase) and repeat this for the number of years, this would give you the total contract value.

It would then be up to the owner to split that salary however they like across the contract length.

Example, sign WR1 at $1,000,000 for 5 years. His contract value is $6,105,100. You could then split that to be 2 million each of the first years and ~700k the remaining three.

Thoughts?

junk_monkey
Role Player
Role Player

Re: "Realistic" contracts in MFL

Postby junk_monkey » Thu May 14, 2015 8:51 am

DonnieSmith14 wrote:I was curious if anyone runs a system with more realistic contracts and salaries that owners could determine when they sign a player. e.g. frontloading a deal or have low initial salary and higher later on.
We do this specific bit. So we wanted to make managing contracts a bit closer to an NFL style (though it's really not, but it's a nice added wrinkle I think). Basically, the higher the contract, the greater the guarantee percentage ($1-3 = 0%, $4-12 = 25%, etc up to $51+ = 75%). The GM can then structure that guaranteed money however they like across the course of the contract. So say you're paying someone $60 a year on a 4 year deal, $45 per year is guaranteed, a total of $180 - you can then spread that $180 across the 4 years as you like. The remaining $15 salary will be paid every year regardless.

If you drop a player with guaranteed money, the GM can decide to either accelerate all the dead money into the current league year or leave it spread as it currently is.

There is an opportunity to restructure (when depends on the length of the deal). You can also restructure if you trade for someone - the guaranteed money goes with the contract so the new GM is allowed to shift it around.

Free agents are bought based on a slow auction via message boards in the off-season and via blind bidding during the season. Rookies have a scale for their salary so are predetermined. Also, rookies are a standard 25% guaranteed, except those on $1-3 deals.

There's also a contract extension thing in place whereby the new contract 'demanded' by a player is determined by his performance in the last three years and the average salary of players - eg if a player was a top 5 WR at least once in the last three years, his contract extension will cost the average of the top 5 paid WRs + 15% more. This scale slips as players drop down the performance tree. And then the guaranteed money is determined by the value of the new contract.

Hope that all makes sense. If you want to read about it all in intricate detail - you can (lucky you) - http://dynabowl.com/rules/#Contracts

We're only a year into this league so haven't quite experienced everything that could be thrown up by it but if you have any questions, fire away.
The DynaBowl Fantasy Football League (Commissioner) est 2014
10 team non-PPR, $600 salary cap, full IDP (big play), 50 Roster spots, 10 Taxi
QB, 2-3 RB, 3-4 WR, 1-2 TE (2 offensive flex), K, PN, 1-2 DT, 2 DE, 3-4 LB, 2 CB, 2 S (1 defensive flex)
Team: Dynablaster Bombermen
Roster - Too big to post(!)
2019 - Champions; 2016 - 3rd

The ChatterBowl Redraft Fantasy Football League - est 2012 - 16 team, non-PPR
2014, 2015 - Champions, 2012 - 3rd, 2017 - 4th

DonnieSmith14
Rookie
Rookie

Postby DonnieSmith14 » Thu May 14, 2015 11:28 am

Thanks, I'll take a look at this.

Capitalist Pig
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Capitalist Pig » Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:03 am

Here's a thought: you want a realistic contract and salary, why don't you used the actual contract/salaries from spotrac.com? My league does and it doesn't get any "realer" than that! 8-)
Eat more BACON. You won't be sorry.

moishetreats
Legend
Legend

Postby moishetreats » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:09 am

I have many complicated contract scenarios in my MFL league, too. Next to each player is a section for notes. I simply note the future contract status there, and, after each season ends, update the notes and the salary of each player accordingly. It's a little time-consuming at the end of every season, but I find it MUCH preferable to keeping a separate spreadsheet (which I used to do): all the league's info is in one place at all times.
10 tms 27 plrs PPR
Start: 2QB 2RB 3WR 2TE 2Flex / best ball

QB: Herbert, Love, Rodgers, G Smith, Stidham, T Taylor, Hall
RB: McCaffrey, Mixon, Pacheco, Montgomery, Z White, Allgeier, Dillon
WR: Hill, St. Brown, Kupp, Allen, Lockett, B Johnson
TE: Kelce, Kmet, Kraft, Okonkwo, Dulcich, Tremble

2024: 2.09, 3.07, 3.08, 3.10, 4.08
2025: 2nd (x2), 4th, 5th (x2)
2026: 1st, 2nd (x2), 3rd, 4th, 5th

12 tms 22 active plyrs. Salary Cap $300 PPR
Start: 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1SF 1Flex / best ball

QB: Lawrence (contract through 2026), Love ('24), Rodgers ('24), Stidham ('25), Lock ('25)
RB: Bijan Robinson ('25), Pollard ('27), Dillon ('24), Rodriguez ('24), Spiller ('24)
WR: G Wilson ('26), AJ Brown ('26), DJ Montgomery ('25)
TE: --
2024 Cap Spent: $186

IR: --
TAXI SQUAD (4 max): --

rmdaddy72
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby rmdaddy72 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:44 pm

Chapelboy wrote:Here's a thought: you want a realistic contract and salary, why don't you used the actual contract/salaries from spotrac.com? My league does and it doesn't get any "realer" than that! 8-)
So how do you establish the salary cap using the player's actual salary? I am commish in what was trying to be a dynasty league that is going into it's 2nd year, but 1st using MFL. I originally wanted to
Chapelboy wrote:Here's a thought: you want a realistic contract and salary, why don't you used the actual contract/salaries from spotrac.com? My league does and it doesn't get any "realer" than that! 8-)
So how do you establish the salary cap using the player's actual salary?

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Capitalist Pig
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Capitalist Pig » Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:48 am

We take the NFL cap of 143.28M and divide it by 42 players (we take out 10 OL and 1 P) and then take the result and multiply it by 35 players, our roster limit. This gives us a 2015 cap of 119.4M which is perfect for our 16-team league. Owners still find a way to go over, LOL. Also you need to figure cap penalties. We use 5% of salary x remaining years on contract, i.e. a player cut with 3 yrs left on his contract will result in a 15% cap penalty.
Eat more BACON. You won't be sorry.