What would you do?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
packfntk
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

What would you do?

Postby packfntk » Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:19 am

So we have set up our salary cap league, and we are not doing auction style. We are doing the slotted draft pick method, where each pick in the entire draft has a designated dollar structure and contract length. This means your top round fantasy picks count the most against your cap of course and they are the longest contracts (5 years).

But the question to the experts here is, how would you approach setting up your dynasty? Do you draft your franchsie QB first if you have a desirable pick? Or do you go with a OBJ/Dez? Or a stud RB? Besides Lacy/Bell I am scared to invest a high pick with a RB with a short shelf life, and give them that much money and a long contract in fear of them getting "out of prime years, and sticking around in the NFL and getting stuck with the contract hit when they are a backup". We take heavy cap hits for multiple years when dumping guys before their contracts end.

So what would you do? I have the #2 pick overall. Rodgers/Luck? Or a WR/RB?

Eagles4life
Role Player
Role Player

Re: What would you do?

Postby Eagles4life » Fri Mar 27, 2015 6:42 am

Based on your league rules... I think your train of thought is good. I like the idea of Luck if he falls to you at #2. You will get the most consistent production from a stud QB for 5-10yrs. Bell/Lacy are good options but RB production can be inconsistent at times, more prone to injury due to the physical nature of the position, etc. If I'm in the middle of the 1st rd that's were I target those stud RB's IMO. Personally, I like having that peace of mind, knowing your set at the QB position for years to come with consistent production. Rodgers is a nice consolation prize should Luck go #1. I would also consider Russell Wilson into the mix at #2 should Luck go #1. I like the idea of getting some additional value out of his rushing ability and younger age vs Rodgers. But you still can't go wrong with Rodgers. As for WR... I think there is enough value to build a solid WR core if you go QB with your #1 pick, should your draft be linear instead of snake, you'll have some good options come rd #2.

will6779
All Pro
All Pro

Postby will6779 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:56 am

How many teams in Your league? If its 16 or less i wouldnt use the 1.2 on a qb, although i dont think drafting luck is a horrible idea. I would take bell if he were avalible or a stud wr. You can wait on a qb in smaller leagues and stack the rest of your roster.
12 team, ppr,idp league. 35 man roster, 5 ts.
Start- qb,2-3rb,3-4wr,1-2te,pk, 2-3 dl, 2-3 lb, 2-3 db
Scoring- all tds 6 pts, lb&db 2/t, 4/sack. Dl 3/t 5/ sack

QB- luck, tannehill, mallet
RB- spiller,sproles,mathews,ingram p thomas, woodhead, f jackson, k davis, freeman
WR- brandon marshall d thomas,cobb,amendola , bolden, landry, bryant, watkins, carter
TE- Olsen, reed, ertz, housler, escobar
PK- Vinatary
DL- , quinn, dunlap, hankins
LB- Kueckly, bowman, greenway, v miller , ogletree, bostic, kirksey
DB- Beathea, weddel

junk_monkey
Role Player
Role Player

Postby junk_monkey » Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:54 am

will6779 wrote:How many teams in Your league? If its 16 or less i wouldnt use the 1.2 on a qb, although i dont think drafting luck is a horrible idea. I would take bell if he were avalible or a stud wr. You can wait on a qb in smaller leagues and stack the rest of your roster.
I agree with Will. This method of starting the league means you can essentially stick with the standard dynasty rankings on this site, which means I'd be looking at one of the elite WRs - Julio, Dez and AJG in any particular order - at the top of the draft.

Locking up an elite QB is less important, particularly in a league with 12 or fewer teams, unless it's a 2QB or superflex league - obviously line-up requirements like these will alter the strategy. I personally wouldn't be putting Russell Wilson into that top tier. By way of comparison, in the DLF Hall of Fame and DLF Premium Leagues that started up recently he went in the mid-3rd round of those 16 team leagues (picks 38 and 44 respectively), which feels about right. I would be delighted if another league member took him in the first round.

Anyway, basically just stick with the standard strategy...
The DynaBowl Fantasy Football League (Commissioner) est 2014
10 team non-PPR, $600 salary cap, full IDP (big play), 50 Roster spots, 10 Taxi
QB, 2-3 RB, 3-4 WR, 1-2 TE (2 offensive flex), K, PN, 1-2 DT, 2 DE, 3-4 LB, 2 CB, 2 S (1 defensive flex)
Team: Dynablaster Bombermen
Roster - Too big to post(!)
2019 - Champions; 2016 - 3rd

The ChatterBowl Redraft Fantasy Football League - est 2012 - 16 team, non-PPR
2014, 2015 - Champions, 2012 - 3rd, 2017 - 4th

TommyL31
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby TommyL31 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:47 pm

Agreed, standard dynasty rankings value young stud WRs both because of their production and their longevity so having them on a long contract is a bonus.
"whiners kill more leagues than incompetent trades" - clarion contrarion

DFFL - Flea Flickers, 12 team PPR dynasty
Legends of the Gridiron - Boss Hawgs, 12 team PPR Superflex Salary Cap league
USFL - Memphis Showboats, 12 team PPR Superflex Tiered Salary Cap League

packfntk
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby packfntk » Tue May 19, 2015 11:46 am

This is a 12 man startup dynasty PPR. So it seems that the majority thinks I should draft Dez/Julio over Luck?

I am just a little gunshy because the only other dynasty league I am in I have Brees and not much after that and it is scary. I have Dez in that league (below), and I struggled last year and it would be nice to not worry about QB for a LONG time. WR is just so deep and I don't see any consistent WR (week to week) that separates himself as the number 1 guy. Some sites have Dez, some have Julio, some have OBJ, etc. Dez can blow up some weeks and have 35 points, and other weeks he can have 5. I know I will be fine with either (WR or Luck), but what is the trade off from drafting 1st and 2nd round Luck/Jordy, to having someone like Dez/Rivers as my QB.

StraightCashHomie
Starter
Starter

Postby StraightCashHomie » Wed May 20, 2015 11:21 am

If this is a 6 pt passing TD league, then I could understand you considering Luck, but if it's only 4 pts and it's PPR then you have to go WR IMO.

Rivers is an extreme example you are using as well, which isn't really fair. I'd be willing to bet that you could get Russell Wilson or Cam Newton atthe end of the 2nd round or start of the 3rd.
Your 2013 Prediction Contest Champion

Barely active anymore... adulting is tough. Down to three dynasty leagues, one keeper, and two redrafts.

packfntk
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby packfntk » Thu May 21, 2015 11:36 am

StraightCashHomie wrote:If this is a 6 pt passing TD league, then I could understand you considering Luck, but if it's only 4 pts and it's PPR then you have to go WR IMO.

Rivers is an extreme example you are using as well, which isn't really fair. I'd be willing to bet that you could get Russell Wilson or Cam Newton atthe end of the 2nd round or start of the 3rd.
It is a 6 pt passing TD league. I know for a fact that Russell will be drafted in the first 10 picks, we are all from Wisconsin, and we have a few QB guys in our draft that will want to lock down a young possible stud. So I just figured if I would end up not drafting Luck I would end up with a guy like Rivers, probably the 8th-10th QB taken off the board.

Kaz
Captain
Captain

Postby Kaz » Fri May 22, 2015 1:26 am

I'd wait a few rounds and target someone like Tannehill or Ryan. I'd also probably be willing to wait for Bridgewater, but I'm a huge fan...
QB: Brees, Ryan
RB: J.Taylor, K.Hunt, R.Jones, Dillon, McKinnon
WR: D.Adams, T.Hill, A.Rob, Lockett, Anderson, P.Campbell, C.Samuel
TE: Kittle, Olsen, D.Sample
DL: Ngakoue, E.Griffen, J.Sweat, Bowser
LB: Mosley, D.Jones, Warner, Treviathan, R. Evans, Okereke, M.Harrison
DB: J.Johnson, T.Mathieu, T.Walker, J.Jones, X.Woods

StraightCashHomie
Starter
Starter

Postby StraightCashHomie » Fri May 22, 2015 2:14 pm

packfntk wrote:
StraightCashHomie wrote:If this is a 6 pt passing TD league, then I could understand you considering Luck, but if it's only 4 pts and it's PPR then you have to go WR IMO.

It is a 6 pt passing TD league. I know for a fact that Russell will be drafted in the first 10 picks, we are all from Wisconsin, and we have a few QB guys in our draft that will want to lock down a young possible stud. So I just figured if I would end up not drafting Luck I would end up with a guy like Rivers, probably the 8th-10th QB taken off the board.
6 pt passing touchdown is a big difference. I say go for it if that's how you think things will go. I wouldn't do it, but I certainly understand going that route.
Your 2013 Prediction Contest Champion

Barely active anymore... adulting is tough. Down to three dynasty leagues, one keeper, and two redrafts.

packfntk
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby packfntk » Tue May 26, 2015 2:41 pm

Well, I traded the 1.02 for the 1.04 and the 3.02. In a startup, did I give up too much? I know the top two picks will be Rodgers and Luck, so I have pretty much anyone else at 1.04.