Brand New Salary Cap Dynasty League

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
packfntk
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Brand New Salary Cap Dynasty League

Postby packfntk » Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:32 am

Ok, so after many years of having a simple 2 keeper redraft league, my league is transitioning into full blown dynasty. We are clearing everything and starting from scratch. We are in the process of writing the rules and are about 75% done but have a large hurdle.

Salary Cap.

I may sound like an idiot, but how do you even start to set your cap for your league? How do you give every player values? I assume you start with giving players values and then set the cap based on that right? We are just doing a 25 man roster. Any ideas for how I go about getting this kicked off? Any information is greatly appreciated here. Thanks.

Rollllers
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Re: Brand New Salary Cap Dynasty League

Postby Rollllers » Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:32 am

The best way is to give each team the same amount of money and have an auction.
In our league all started with $300. No team can go over $300 during the auction draft.
Auctions are the best way so everyone has a shot at every player as long as they have cap left. I can send you a link to our rules if you need something to go by they are pretty in depth since it's been tweeted nicely over our 6-7 year stretch. Good luck n have Fun the auction is one of the funnest parts.

bruiser
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby bruiser » Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:02 am

I am in multiple salary/contract type leagues. If I were to do it over again, I would reduce all zeros from the equation where possible. Start here: decide what percentage the minimum salary should be of the salary cap.

For example: I'm in multiple NFL salary cap leagues ($143M in 2015). This creates many zeros that are really unnecessary (unless you are really into the NFL cap thing). If the league minimum salary is $500k, then the minimum salary is only .3% of the cap (that is pretty close to the NFL's numbers).

If you reduce the league minimum to $1, that percentage works out to a cap of $300. This really only applies to NFL-deep rosters of 45-50 players.
Just a guy who loves fantasy football - specifically defense.

Eagles4life
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Eagles4life » Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:28 pm

I've also started a new dynasty league... I'm using Reality Sports Online... very simple and user friendly interface and a lot less work from an administrative standpoint. Not sure if t's exactly what your looking for, but worth a look. There's some discussion in another thread that you can take a look through on RSO.

packfntk
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby packfntk » Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:36 pm

Well is there a site that simply has settings for it that I could look up? I am trying to find one with no success. I am just in a 10 man league with no IDP, and I just need to know what we need to set values at and an idea for cap for the year with the amount of rostered players we have.

Telperion
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Telperion » Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:50 pm

I think the point everybody is making is you don't set values, you hold an auction and that's the contract.
- Don't waste your time on late round NFL draft picks: Success rates by NFL draft round and speed.
- Team(s): Team 1

Eagles4life
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Eagles4life » Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:05 pm

packfntk wrote:Well is there a site that simply has settings for it that I could look up? I am trying to find one with no success. I am just in a 10 man league with no IDP, and I just need to know what we need to set values at and an idea for cap for the year with the amount of rostered players we have.
As I mentioned in a prior post, I'm setting up a league with reality sports online (RSO). I would suggest checking out their site www.realitysportsonline.com and click on the tab "how it works"

What really impressed me with the site was the simplicity of it's interface, you really don't need to draw up a league constitution for a league on this site as it takes care of all those fine details for your and your league mates. Every transaction you do in-season or off-season generates a pop up window outlining the ramifications of your decision. i.e. cutting players, FA pick ups, trades, etc. Very little governance is required by the commissioner as I stated above the site looks after all those details for you. By reading the FAQ on their site you will get a better understanding of how the cap and contracts work, free agency auction, rookie contracts, franchise tags, etc.

I you haven't yet read the thread in this forum on "Thoughts on Reality Sports Online" I would suggest reading through that. GoIrish374 provided me with lots of great insight on his two leagues that he's participated in to help me set up my inaugural season.

Hope this helps.