Cap Penalty Advice

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.

Which is a better system?

Apply all of the guaranteed money when a player is cut (commish has no extra manual work)
18%
Apply a percentage of current salary as dead money and all future cap penalty to next season (commish has some manual work)
24%
Apply a percentage to each year's cap penalty over the duration of the contract (commish has a lot of manual work)
59%

Total votes: 17

bruiser
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Cap Penalty Advice

Postby bruiser » Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:56 pm

I just completed my 1st season at MFL and am very impressed with their platform and customization. So, I decided to form a very large startup for 2015, but I am undecided how to make cap penalties apply when cutting players with multi-year deals. Currently, the only option at MFL is to apply all of the dead money at once. While this is parallel to how the NFL applies dead money, I was wondering what others do in their salaries/contracts leagues.
Just a guy who loves fantasy football - specifically defense.

will6779
All Pro
All Pro

Re: Cap Penalty Advice

Postby will6779 » Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:25 pm

Im in two leagues where all contracts are 50% gaurented ., if you cut a player, one half of the value of his contract gets charged to your cap for the current year ( you must have enough cap space to do this). This makes it easy to dump bad cOntracts and is probably the best way to do things in a new league where owners dont have alot of experience playing in cap leagues. I prefer the third option above. In one of my leagues, if you cit a player with three years on his contract, your penality is 25% of his salary for each year of his contract and is charged to your cap the next three seasons. Its a bit more complicated and you have to be more careful with your signings. You dont have the option to buyout the entire contract and be done with it.
12 team, ppr,idp league. 35 man roster, 5 ts.
Start- qb,2-3rb,3-4wr,1-2te,pk, 2-3 dl, 2-3 lb, 2-3 db
Scoring- all tds 6 pts, lb&db 2/t, 4/sack. Dl 3/t 5/ sack

QB- luck, tannehill, mallet
RB- spiller,sproles,mathews,ingram p thomas, woodhead, f jackson, k davis, freeman
WR- brandon marshall d thomas,cobb,amendola , bolden, landry, bryant, watkins, carter
TE- Olsen, reed, ertz, housler, escobar
PK- Vinatary
DL- , quinn, dunlap, hankins
LB- Kueckly, bowman, greenway, v miller , ogletree, bostic, kirksey
DB- Beathea, weddel

junk_monkey
Role Player
Role Player

Postby junk_monkey » Mon Feb 02, 2015 4:06 am

Unfortunately, I find the MFL handling of salary caps isn't good enough, too basic, so I do ours manually in Excel and upload to google docs.

We have each contract having a percentage guaranteed, dependent on the value. Cheap contracts have a smaller guarantee percentage than more expensive contracts. The guaranteed money is payable in every year of the contract after the player is cut.

We don't accelerate because that could put teams in a situation where they can't afford to cut someone they probably should. Teams tend to live quite close to the cap, and leave the little room they do for in season pick ups. That said, we've not had a really big contract ended yet.
The DynaBowl Fantasy Football League (Commissioner) est 2014
10 team non-PPR, $600 salary cap, full IDP (big play), 50 Roster spots, 10 Taxi
QB, 2-3 RB, 3-4 WR, 1-2 TE (2 offensive flex), K, PN, 1-2 DT, 2 DE, 3-4 LB, 2 CB, 2 S (1 defensive flex)
Team: Dynablaster Bombermen
Roster - Too big to post(!)
2019 - Champions; 2016 - 3rd

The ChatterBowl Redraft Fantasy Football League - est 2012 - 16 team, non-PPR
2014, 2015 - Champions, 2012 - 3rd, 2017 - 4th

DonnieSmith14
Rookie
Rookie

Postby DonnieSmith14 » Tue Feb 03, 2015 6:16 am

I use the third option and it's actually not that difficult to manage.

A simple google doc / form with some formulas can manage future cap hits.

Just go into MFL at the start of each season and add a "dead money" salary adjustment.

bruiser
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby bruiser » Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:54 pm

This is a very large league. I have been going over this for a couple days and have also considered this: applying cap hits too many years into the future will penalize a replacement owner if taking over that team. Should replacement owners get reprieve from cap hits that were incurred before they took over a franchise?

Tsunami
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Tsunami » Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:52 am

Bobby Bruiser wrote:This is a very large league. I have been going over this for a couple days and have also considered this: applying cap hits too many years into the future will penalize a replacement owner if taking over that team. Should replacement owners get reprieve from cap hits that were incurred before they took over a franchise?
No reason to make that a rule, if the best team quits you could find a replacement without negating their penalty. In an emergency situation where you can't find anyone to replace a bad team, negating the salary cap penalty could help. But you should try to avoid this IMO. Requiring a portion of next season's fee up front could also help prevent this, assuming it is a pay league. If it isn't I'll take a spot!

bruiser
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby bruiser » Sun Feb 15, 2015 4:16 pm

Yes, I require the next seasons fees upfront. The league is $150 annually. I decided to make all contracts 40% guaranteed, with all future cap hits charged to next season. I'm implementing a Post-February 1st Cuts rule as a way to create incentive for owners to keep a player on his roster throughout the season and especially playoffs. When cut after February 1st, the season will be considered rolled over and cuts will be applied accordingly.

Our concern was mainly about players being cut before or during the playoffs that normally shouldn't be available. If the decision to cut a player before the season finished caused next season to be charged, then we solved the problem about keeping the playoffs free from studs dropped for salary reasons.