Tendering Option for Contract Year Players?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Miah35
Captain
Captain

Tendering Option for Contract Year Players?

Postby Miah35 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:35 am

Thinking about adding an option to tender players for rookie picks before they enter the final year of their contract. Has anyone done anything like this before? Does it work? Is it worth it?

Before free agency starts that season I would have a "Restricted FA" period where owners can tender those players. Say Melvin Gordon was on a 4 year contract and is about to enter his 4th year. That owner could tender Gordon for the Rookie 1.04 or better. If one of the owners that have 1.01-1.04 want to grab Gordon in a contract year, they can give up their pick and get Gordon with an option to extend him for one more year with no inflation (or some sort of discount). The former Gordon owner would then be free of all of Gordon's cap hit and could get a rookie on a rookie deal. If no one responds to the tender, that owner forfeits the ability to franchise the player the following year. It would be a gamble for the tendering owner but could pay off.

Thoughts?
Entering my 10th Year of Dynasty.

I believe Every Player has Two Values:

1. The Price it would take for you to SELL a Player
2. The Price you would PAY to acquire a Player

YOU create your own market

millworkguy
Captain
Captain

Re: Tendering Option for Contract Year Players?

Postby millworkguy » Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:09 am

I have an option for each owner to renegotiate 1 contract per off season. For $500 per year ($65000 cap you can add or take away years from any player with a max 7 yr deal.

Your pick system sounds interesting but how would you set up the scale? Points last season, average points per game, positional ranking?
PPR IDP Contract Cap:
ConF (16 Team)
DAF (16 team)
DW2- Co-Commish (16 Team)

PPR IDP Salary Cap:
Hardcore - LAC (32 team)
T1 - Commish (12 team)
T2 - Commish (16 Team)

Miah35
Captain
Captain

Postby Miah35 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:04 am

The owner would set his own tender. Obvious risk involved and it would require that owner to have a decent understanding of a players market. If he sets it too high, no one will tender him and he loses out on his chance to franchise that player the following year. If he sets it too low, he will for sure have his tender accepted and lose out on a player in lew of a rookie.

If he sets the player at the right tender, he unloads that contract for a rookie deal on a player he deems worthy of replacing his player.

millworkguy
Captain
Captain

Postby millworkguy » Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:13 pm

Would you then restrict the number of players who could be tendered, how about the right to trade a player who didn't receive a tender ( could the new team then franchise them?), furthermore how many players do you allow to be franchised? I think the pool of eligible teams maybe too small to make this work with top tier talent. A 1.01 tender could only be bid on by 1 team, (therefore likely not accepted, what bottom feeder would take a 2 year player over the top pick, who they could have for- 5 plus years-), if the 3rd worst team put a tender of 1.04 only 3 teams could bid. I think you would have to enable owners to bid with their 1st plus a future pick of the same round for top tallent, or restrict tenders to the 2.01 pick or less, which in theory would allow every team a chance to bid on all tendered players.

And while i find it an interesting way to try and encourage player movement, i'd be worried about its effect on the free agent pool, a solid dynasty team, has both - older role players and top youth, by putting in the bidding system you may find those top teams consistently end up with a glut of picks by intentionally placing a mid draft pick tender on a player (on an aging player with a year or two left), hoping they get snapped up. It may actually work against teams trying to improve. And create a market where players with 2 years left have more value, as you could get a 2nd or 3rd round pick for them at the end of the season. Heck, the ability to tender fitz, gore, McCoy, wallace, Lynch, Cobb, DT, sanders, Witten, Walker, a year ago could have brought in some very nice extra draft picks.
PPR IDP Contract Cap:
ConF (16 Team)
DAF (16 team)

PPR IDP Salary Cap:
Hardcore - LAC (32 team)
T1 - Commish (12 team)
T2 - Commish (16 Team)

Miah35
Captain
Captain

Postby Miah35 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:47 am

Each owner gets 2 Franchise tags per season. 1 Offense and 1 Defense.

They will only get to use one Tender per season as well. As far as what they tender the player for, anything goes as long as it is rookie picks. Had someone put up Larry Fitz or Gore for Tender last year, I doubt anyone would have accepted giving up a 1st rd pick for either of those guys. I'm a big fan of added strategy and this tender option could be exploited by both the contending and the rebuilding. If I went full rebuild an have a large stable of picks with a chance to load for a playoff spot, I'm going to looking for the right tender deal for an Antonio Brown, Sammy Watkins etc. If I just won the ship and have cap space issues, I can tender an expensive stud like Devonta Freeman for a future 1st or something and get some cap relief to sign rookies or go after cheap FA. Sure, I'd lose out on value but it beats having the guy walk for free the following year.

For instance, lets say my team is cap trouble and I have Melvin Gordon entering his contract year and I tender him for the 1.06 or better. Someone might jump all over getting Gordon instead of a Nick Chubb, DJ Moore, or Rojo. In a standard league, I wouldn't trade Gordon for any of those guys but if it gives me cap space and a lotto ticket rookie, it's worth it.

millworkguy
Captain
Captain

Postby millworkguy » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:53 pm

Miah35 wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:47 am
For instance, lets say my team is cap trouble and I have Melvin Gordon entering his contract year and I tender him for the 1.06 or better. Someone might jump all over getting Gordon instead of a Nick Chubb, DJ Moore, or Rojo. In a standard league, I wouldn't trade Gordon for any of those guys but if it gives me cap space and a lotto ticket rookie, it's worth it.
Again, as a building team I dont see spending my 1.06 for a 2 year Melvin Gordon over an unlimited (and cheaper?) Rookie. I think your going to have a hard time if the original draft picks owners have their own first to see much movement. Which is why I thought that restricting tenders to a 2.01 pick or later may increase player movement.

In my $65000 league, 1.01 is $ 2000. I like your idea just not so sure how it would actually function, its effects on free agency, and if many players would actually trade hands.

Example : Rojo at $1700 for 6 years or Gordon at $4500 for 2. Unless I'm certain I'm in the playoffs I'll go for youth and cheaper player in a salary cap league to allow me to spent money elsewhere. I look for teams that are fubr by the cap, and try to work deals that are win/win (I get better player, they get cap help with a lesser player)

In my 32 team single player pool, crowder at $94 went for 2 1sts last year (worked out to 1.16 and 1.25) out cap is $30000. (That's 0.3% of cap) cheap players (through great drafting) allow for expensive players .
PPR IDP Contract Cap:
ConF (16 Team)
DAF (16 team)

PPR IDP Salary Cap:
Hardcore - LAC (32 team)
T1 - Commish (12 team)
T2 - Commish (16 Team)

millworkguy
Captain
Captain

Postby millworkguy » Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:03 pm

Forgot to ask if your league has a taxi squad?
PPR IDP Contract Cap:
ConF (16 Team)
DAF (16 team)

PPR IDP Salary Cap:
Hardcore - LAC (32 team)
T1 - Commish (12 team)
T2 - Commish (16 Team)

Miah35
Captain
Captain

Postby Miah35 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:19 am

Yes, it has unlimited taxi squad spots. It's going to be a "Pipeline" devy league. Where you select a school, like Bama, and you get to streamline players from your school to your active squad.

As for your concern with pick limits, I'm not worried about it. It will be a $200M salary Cap and rookies come in on 3 year deals based on where they're drafted. The 1.06 would be about an $8M contract. I don't think an owner with Cap issues is going to even come close to considering tendering a guy like Gurley for just the 2.01. I get that Barkley as the 1.01 on a cheap contract is a no brainer but typically, I'd give up the 1.01 for a top 10 asset if I had the room to do so.