Starting a New Salary Cap League, Looking for Guidance

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
TheChuckstick
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Starting a New Salary Cap League, Looking for Guidance

Postby TheChuckstick » Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:35 pm

I am new to the Salary Cap, Auction, and Dynasty Formats, but not new to being a commissioner. After much discussion with some of the more militant members of other leagues I commish, I decided to create a league that is as close to the NFL as is possible without making the rules overly complex as all the members are new to this format. I am looking into my fantasy league but I am not sure if this is what I should be doing.

Here is what I am proposing, please feel free to provide advice or ask questions:

$300 salary cap, 75 years of contracts, initial auction to go 24 rounds. 1 QB, 2RB, 2 WR, 1TE, 2Flex, 1 K, No D.

Thereafter, restricted free agency long form/email format to end prior to NFL draft. after NFL draft hold rookie draft, then Offseason free agency in long form auction format until the start of the pre-season.

I will post the by-laws as soon as I have finished the first draft. I pulled ideas from some similar leagues I found but I am not sure if I am on the right track.

Cult of Dionysus
MVP
MVP

Re: Starting a New Salary Cap League, Looking for Guidance

Postby Cult of Dionysus » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:16 am

75 years of contracts is way to much. Most rosters have about 25 players total, so with 75 years, you can have EACH player on EACH roster at 3 years, and all starters at 4.

I made the same mistake with USFL Superflex (see link below). We have similar starting requirements, and 75 years of contracts. Check it out. Few guys use up more than 35 years.

My advice get it down to 35 years and limit contracts to 1-3 years. Then have a few tags to extend a couple of Ks by 1 year. This will promote much more turnover, which will make the veteran auctions a lot more fun.

TheChuckstick
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby TheChuckstick » Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:46 pm

Cult,

Thank you for the advice, that makes a lot of sense. I think I will reduce the number of contract years, I wanted long multi-year contracts to be somewhat rare and really meant for the truly great players like Aaron Rodgers. I am not sure about reducing the total contract time. I would like to see how a 5 year limitation plays out, is it catastrophic to the league?

One question I have right now is how does Myfantasyleague handle rookie draft pick trades and contracts?

dlf_jaronf
Administrator

Postby dlf_jaronf » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:36 am

You may also want to post this in the Commish Corner forum as there may be ideas from commissioners in there.

You can also contact Dan Meylor, Jeff Miller, Scott Fish and/or Jarrett Behar for their salary cap league/commissioner experience. If you need contact info (Twitter is best) for any of them, I'd be glad to send you in the right direction.

Cult of Dionysus
MVP
MVP

Re: Starting a New Salary Cap League, Looking for Guidan

Postby Cult of Dionysus » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:27 am

4 and 5 year contracts are really long. If it’s one or two per team, then that’s fine, but if it’s more, then you’ll have a certain level of stagnation. I would go with 1-3 years, plus the ability each year to add 1 or 2 years to any expiring contract, provided that if you use both years on one expiring contract, then the next year you have only one “extensi9n” year available.

Almost more important, how do you penalize a franchise when they cut a player. Most leagues just apply a penalty in the year they are cut. Much more dramatic, and this is what we have in USFL Superflex, apply the penalty over the course of the remaining years of the contract. So if you cut Aaron Rodgers on a 3 year contract, 50% of his salary stays on your books until 2020.

millworkguy
Captain
Captain

Postby millworkguy » Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:10 pm

I like 2.5 years per roster spot with a decent size dts. Allows for turnover, but also enables a smart / lucky owner who drafts well a chance to have a few year run...
PPR IDP Contract Cap:
ConF (16 Team)
DAF (16 team)
DW2- Co-Commish (16 Team)

PPR IDP Salary Cap:
Hardcore - LAC (32 team)
T1 - Commish (12 team)
T2 - Commish (16 Team)

TheChuckstick
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby TheChuckstick » Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:11 pm

Thank you for the great ideas. I reduced the contract year cap to 55 but put it across all players including taxi and IR spots, and left the 5-year limit per player. I am trying to let players play a bit and I think the limit will encourage that. In later years I will probably reduce it further if I dont see alot of movement.

TheChuckstick
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby TheChuckstick » Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:25 pm

Cult of Dionysus wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:27 am Almost more important, how do you penalize a franchise when they cut a player. Most leagues just apply a penalty in the year they are cut. Much more dramatic, and this is what we have in USFL Superflex, apply the penalty over the course of the remaining years of the contract. So if you cut Aaron Rodgers on a 3 year contract, 50% of his salary stays on your books until 2020.
So what I am proposing to do is allowing both amortization and one-time buyout provisions. Here are the two provisions as currently written:

(a) Amortized: The Fee shall be of 25% of the total dollar amount remaining on said player’s contract to be rounded up to the nearest dollar. This 25% dead money will be assessed each year of contract remaining.
(b) One Time: For termination of contracts greater than 2 years and an overall contract value of $60 or more. A team may pay a onetime fee of 50% of the total value of remaining on the contract with the cap hit to be assessed in the current contract year, if the termination occurs in the offseason, this shall be applied to the upcoming season cap.

Also if another owner picks the terminated player up via waivers, there is no penalty

sportstalkryan
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby sportstalkryan » Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:03 am

TheChuckstick wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:25 pm
Cult of Dionysus wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:27 am Almost more important, how do you penalize a franchise when they cut a player. Most leagues just apply a penalty in the year they are cut. Much more dramatic, and this is what we have in USFL Superflex, apply the penalty over the course of the remaining years of the contract. So if you cut Aaron Rodgers on a 3 year contract, 50% of his salary stays on your books until 2020.
So what I am proposing to do is allowing both amortization and one-time buyout provisions. Here are the two provisions as currently written:

(a) Amortized: The Fee shall be of 25% of the total dollar amount remaining on said player’s contract to be rounded up to the nearest dollar. This 25% dead money will be assessed each year of contract remaining.
(b) One Time: For termination of contracts greater than 2 years and an overall contract value of $60 or more. A team may pay a onetime fee of 50% of the total value of remaining on the contract with the cap hit to be assessed in the current contract year, if the termination occurs in the offseason, this shall be applied to the upcoming season cap.

Also if another owner picks the terminated player up via waivers, there is no penalty
Those sound good, but be aware of how much work it's going to put on you as Commish. MFL has an option to automatically calculate and apply a cap hit when cutting a player based on a percentage of their salary (which you enter as Commish) times the number of remaining years. I use it in all my sal cap leagues.

You also may want to consider requiring a certain minimum amount of multi-year contracts in each free agency, including at least 1 5-year deal. With the cap penalties, it increases the risk on getting the right player (which I think is a good thing). I was in a similar league once when after a few years everyone just signed players to 1 or 2 year contracts to minimize risk, basically turning the whole thing into a re-auction league, which was not the point.
Commish of 4 leagues. Prefer full roster, IDP, salary cap, contract leagues designed to replicate the NFL GM experience as much as possible. Because THAT'S the fantasy.

TheChuckstick
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby TheChuckstick » Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:05 am

Thanks SportsStalk, I'm new to MFL and I'm still learning what it supports and what it does not. As for as deadcap and salary cap its running over multiple years I would prefer that something like that be handled and tracked by the system. One thing I was also trying to figure out is how to track FAAB. Right now I'm set at $25 FAAB budget but I'm not seeing how I can have MFL enforce this rule. Is this anoutger case of just adding work for myself?

sportstalkryan
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby sportstalkryan » Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:18 am

I’m pretty sure MFL will allow FAAB under a separate budget, different from the auction $ amounts. You can make it the same for all teams or set different amounts for each team (if you allow teams to roll over some unused auction money, or unused FAAB $ from year to year).

MFL’s blind bidding system takes some getting used to, however. If you allow conditional bidding. Make sure you read up on that in the Help section before deciding how what FA system to use.
Commish of 4 leagues. Prefer full roster, IDP, salary cap, contract leagues designed to replicate the NFL GM experience as much as possible. Because THAT'S the fantasy.

TheChuckstick
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby TheChuckstick » Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:01 pm

Ok thanks, I'm still confused. We had our auction last night and some owners went off the rails without bidding limits. It looks like I will need to open Waivers/FA prior to the start of the season so owners can start a valid lineup. I was considering using an email auction, is that the best way to handle this? should I just open up the waivers and put blind bidding on or what? If email is the best, how do I start a new email auction though MFL while keeping the current lineups?