Evaluating value for players on RSO

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
jf1349
Rookie
Rookie

Evaluating value for players on RSO

Postby jf1349 » Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:53 am

New to salary cap dynasty.
Did a few mocks on RSO which is the platform my new league will be starting. I know value is different based on each league. Just curious how to build a team. A 25 man roster, I don't want to waste all my cap on the top 3 players and loose depth. Does player values have more of an impact on construction?

For example: OBJ $168M for 4 years. You lose a massive amount of cap on 1 player

Maybe someone has a value chart, even from last year. I've used other sites based on 2018 auction ranks but idk if I should because it's dynasty.
Team1: 12 team PPR
QB: Cousins, Winston, Allen
WR: OBJ, Landry, C Godwin, TY Hilton, A Jeffery, M Boykin, J Ross, H Butler, Kumerow, J Watson
RB: Mixon, Chubb, K Johnson, L Miller, Darrell williams, Ito smith, Justin Jackson
TE: Hockenson, Gesecki, Burton

Team 2: 10 team PPR superflex league
QB: Brees, Winston, Mayfield, Keenum, Bridgewater
WR: Hopkins, J Jones, Diggs, A Miller, J Kumerow, J Moore, M lee, T Quinn
RB: Chubb, T Coleman, J samules, Hyde, Dixon, Ty Mont, Ito smith, CJ Anderson
TE: Hunter Henry, J cook, V mcdonald, H hurst

Team 3: 16 team standard league
QB: Cousins, Winston
WR: M Jones, C Godwin, D Pettis, A miller, D Hamilton,
RB: M Mack, Guice, K ballage, C edmonds
TE:

Team 4: 10 PPR 2 QB league. 2QB, 2RB, 3WR, 3Flex
QB: Dak, Stafford, Kizer
RB: Gurlery, Guice, Penny, Lat Murrary, TJ Yeldon, Ware, Clement, M Brown
WR: OBJ, M Thomas, A Theilan, Kupp, Pettis, T Boyd, A Wilson, ESB, Agholor, Meredith, C Conley, E Sanders, Kumerow
TE: Burton, J Graham

apbohannon
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Re: Evaluating value for players on RSO

Postby apbohannon » Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:42 pm

I've been on RSO for several years, and I even asked about their "recommended salaries"; I've never seen salaries that high, but I'm only in 3 leagues, not all of them.

It's hard to predict how a startup will go, so you really have to be adaptive and understand the league scoring so you know how to prioritize.

I'd be more than happy to share some of my more detailed info from my leagues so you can kind of see what "normal" salaries look like. Send me a PM.
Team 1:
12 Teams, PPR
QB - J. Garoppolo, J. Goff, P. Mahomes
RB - Tevin Coleman, Rashaad Penny, CJ Prosise, Mike Gillislee, Derrius Guice, Tarik Cohen, Joe Mixon
WR - C. Davis , J.Doctson, Ty. Williams, T. Lockett, M. Mitchell, M. Gallup
TE - A. Hooper, OJ Howard, D. Njoku

Team 2:
12 Teams, PPR, SF
QB - A. Rodgers, A. Luck, M. Mariota, K. Lauletta
RB - K. Hunt, A. Kamara, K. Dixon, J. Adams, M. Breida, CJ Prosise, B. Scarbrough
WR - M. Evans, D. Hopkins, A. Robinson, C. Godwin, K. Golladay, M. Valdes-Scantling, J. Ross, A. Darboh, A. Lazard, I. Zamora, L. Carroo
TE - E. Engram, OJ Howard
DT - S. Day, D. Hand, D. Irving, M. Jackson, S. Williams
DE - V. Curry, K. Ealy, J. Jenkins, R. Quinn, J. Sheard, D. Walker
LB - D. Bucannon, P. Smith, D. Trevathan, S. Griffin, R. Ragland, J. Bynes, B. Hager, K. Ishmael, M. Jefferson, M. Judon, B. Marshall, C. Matthews, W. Mercilus, P. Onwuasor
DB - A. Amos, T. Apke, A. Bethea, P. Chung, D. Everett, T. Gipson, M. Hyde, G. Quin, D. Hill

Goirish374
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Goirish374 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:17 am

one of the things that makes the format so much fun is that there are often no apples-to-apples comparisons. SC&C leagues can sometimes be almost completely unique in the value they generate, even in comparison to other SC&C leagues.

some things do carry over from regular dynasty, though (though, my personal opinion: SC&C leagues are really much close to complex keeper leagues than they are to dynasty leagues):

-the size of the league and available player pool still matters when it comes to prioritizing studs vs depth. what size is your league? small leagues (8-10) means you need those studs and i might well pay $40M a year for OBJ. large leages (14-16) reward depth and i wouldn't want any part of a contract that big for one player.

-what are you envisioning for your team? you have almost unlimited flexibility in how you approach it. there are lots of nice articles on DLF talking about 'studs and duds vs balanced' approaches...here are some other ideas: a bad contract situation is only one year away, so some people save their big spending for one year deals and save their longer ones for generating cheap contracts on flyers, kind of like an extra late rookie pick (if the first bid is league min and the second bid is the cheapest possible 4 yr contract, you can average less than league min for 4 years!)...a more conventional idea is to break the starting positions into your own tiers and decide to get *someone* from the tier you want. nominate some you don't want and let others spend on them, then make your moves on the 2nd or 3rd remaining player in a tier. holding out for the last guy in a tier can either be great (if no one else needs that position) or awful (if you are locked in a battle with 1-2 other owners who also have that player as the last in a tier.

-you may have come across this already, but here is RSO's list of recommended values. it isn't meant as any kind of gospel, but it can be a starting point for bracketing your guys. you can look at it and ask yourself what about that player or that situation is driving that value, where do i agree, where do i disagree? https://realitysportsonline.com/Content ... act-values
Dynasty League Football Premium League Almanac:
2020 Champ: me again! (no, for reals!)
2019 Champ: me!
2018 Champ: Qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj
2017 Champ: Irishdoom
2016 Champ: DDT(wakelawyer)
2015 Champ: BigChiefBC

bsacks13
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby bsacks13 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:01 pm

I use RSO and love it, but I have never seen a projected cap hit that high for any player either. If you look on the site they have a suggested contract value for most players. But like someone already said above, when it comes to salary cap leagues there really is no comparison going from league to league. Every league is different and how players are valued is different. Just don't crazy overspend and be smart about it.
Team 1
Behind The Wall Fantasy Football League
10 Team 1pt PPR. Dynasty League Format.
Gotham City Jokers: 2022 0-0
QB: P. Mahomes, K. Cousins
RB: J. Mixon, J.K. Dobbins, B. Hall, J. Taylor, S. Perine, R. Johnson
WR: C. Kupp, M. Pittman, J. Jeudy, M. Thomas, A. Pierce, A. Thielen, J. Hyatt
TE: T. Kelce, E. Engram, L. Musgrave
DST: BUF, LAC

Team 2
Graterford FFL
12 Team. Standard Scoring - Redraft - Up to 2 Keepers - Must have 2 Kickers and 2 DST rostered.
1 QB, 2RB, 2WR, 1TE, 1K, 1DST
Jokers: 2022 0-0
QB: L. Jackson
RB: A. Ekeler, N. Chubb, J. Williams, D. Harris
WR:M. Pittman, D. Smith, M. Brown, E. Moore, J. Hyatt
TE: D. Goedart, C. Kmet, L. Musgrave
K: H. Butker, M. Gay
DST: DAL, NO

Goirish374
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Goirish374 » Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:59 am

a few more thoughts on overspending:

-its hard to know what that is. I have been in auctions where i refused to follow the bids on players i wanted...and i found myself overpaying later to get the last remaining guy in a tier OR missing out on starters completely. sure, you can try to fix some of that with trading after the auction (but see more on that below) but don't be afraid to spend to acquire something you need. your salary cap is a resource, so don't be tooooo afraid to use it if missing out puts you in danger of not being able to field a reliable starter (for example).

-another thing to keep in mind is that you have one salary cap for the entire season. This means not only who you acquire during the Free Agency Auction, but this is also your budget for who you acquire off the waiver wire and who you trade for during the upcoming season. Your blind bid budget is what you don't spend in FAA. Your ability to accept (or offer!) a trade you want depends on your ability to take on the offered contracts...so you need cap space to do that....leave some cap space after the FAA for in season blind bids and trading!

jf1349
Rookie
Rookie

Postby jf1349 » Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:31 am

Cap is $177.2 Million. We are drafting 30 players.
PPR scoring with fractional points for first downs and I think 0.08 points per yard for punt and kick returns. QB. 2WR, 2RB, 2 Flex 1TE
WR: OBJ, Landry, C Godwin, TY Hilton, A Jeffery, M Boykin, J Ross, H Butler, Kumerow, J Watson
RB: Mixon, Chubb, K Johnson, L Miller, Darrell williams, Ito smith, Justin Jackson

TE:

WR: OBJ, M Thomas, A Theilan, Kupp, Pettis, T Boyd, A Wilson, ESB, Agholor, Meredith, C Conley, E Sanders, Kumerow

jf1349
Rookie
Rookie

Postby jf1349 » Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:32 am

Goirish374 wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:59 am a few more thoughts on overspending:

-its hard to know what that is. I have been in auctions where i refused to follow the bids on players i wanted...and i found myself overpaying later to get the last remaining guy in a tier OR missing out on starters completely. sure, you can try to fix some of that with trading after the auction (but see more on that below) but don't be afraid to spend to acquire something you need. your salary cap is a resource, so don't be tooooo afraid to use it if missing out puts you in danger of not being able to field a reliable starter (for example).

-another thing to keep in mind is that you have one salary cap for the entire season. This means not only who you acquire during the Free Agency Auction, but this is also your budget for who you acquire off the waiver wire and who you trade for during the upcoming season. Your blind bid budget is what you don't spend in FAA. Your ability to accept (or offer!) a trade you want depends on your ability to take on the offered contracts...so you need cap space to do that....leave some cap space after the FAA for in season blind bids and trading!
Do you recommend saving 10% of my cap ?

TE:

bsacks13
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby bsacks13 » Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:57 pm

I personally don't think you should go into it with a set number. You don't really want to limit yourself or lose out on someone because you have a set number in your head. I know personally when I try and plan for my RSO auctions every year I have set numbers for how much I want to spend on certain positions, but I know sometimes I may have to overspend for certain people where at the same time I may get someone I really wanted on the cheap. Your strategy will constantly change based on that and how your auction unfolds. I can promise you one thing, your first time will be a learning experience one way or another.
Team 1
Behind The Wall Fantasy Football League
10 Team 1pt PPR. Dynasty League Format.
Gotham City Jokers: 2022 0-0
QB: P. Mahomes, K. Cousins
RB: J. Mixon, J.K. Dobbins, B. Hall, J. Taylor, S. Perine, R. Johnson
WR: C. Kupp, M. Pittman, J. Jeudy, M. Thomas, A. Pierce, A. Thielen, J. Hyatt
TE: T. Kelce, E. Engram, L. Musgrave
DST: BUF, LAC

Team 2
Graterford FFL
12 Team. Standard Scoring - Redraft - Up to 2 Keepers - Must have 2 Kickers and 2 DST rostered.
1 QB, 2RB, 2WR, 1TE, 1K, 1DST
Jokers: 2022 0-0
QB: L. Jackson
RB: A. Ekeler, N. Chubb, J. Williams, D. Harris
WR:M. Pittman, D. Smith, M. Brown, E. Moore, J. Hyatt
TE: D. Goedart, C. Kmet, L. Musgrave
K: H. Butker, M. Gay
DST: DAL, NO

Goirish374
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Goirish374 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:40 am

jf1349 wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:32 am Do you recommend saving 10% of my cap ?
That's a really good question. I agree with bsacks13 about having a plan going in but not being too fixed to that plan if the flow of the auction takes you away from it.

When the cap was $130-140M i was trying to keep $10M in cash for inseason moves. in the era of 150-170 i have thought i would need to keep more but found out it is very hard not to use that space to win on players. also, its important just to keep a finger on the pulse of what your leaguemates are doing. if you have several people spending down to $0, you obviously can hold much less back. if you have already realized that you aren't going to be in competition, it can sometimes make sense to leave a lot of space so you can take on the bad contracts other teams are stuck with while acquiring picks to do so. Another issue is roster depth...you mentioned 30 roster spots and with 12+ teams in a league that is not going to leave too much on the wire to save for! In an 8-10 team league you might have more talent available on the wire weekly.