RSO Leagues

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
killionb
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

RSO Leagues

Postby killionb » Tue May 22, 2018 8:28 pm

I'm very experienced in dynasty fantasy football, but have never participated in a salary cap/contract league. I'm considering joining a league in RealitySportsOnline, but wanted to get some feedback/advice from anyone who has done a league like this through RSO. Specifically, have you found it enjoyable and worth your time? Thanks!

heyfeefellskee
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Re: RSO Leagues

Postby heyfeefellskee » Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:52 am

It's a fun idea. I go back and forth on writing a proposal to them about what needs to change on the site.

Their biggest obstacles right now are the auction itself, as well as price.

The auction is a super fun idea. It's advertised to take 3-4 hours. However, it is going to take much longer--even for a "normal" dynasty league. I have a league at the early startup phase and we have knocked out 6 hours and 140 players have been selected. In a 12-team, 30-man roster league where 360 players are going to end up on rosters, it's obviously going to take a while. I believe they need to being working on an alternative option that allows for a slow auction style that still utilizes their AI system. I think doing that would be a game changer.

2nd, they simply aren't offering a competitive price when considering the product. Out of the paid platforms that offer dynasty support, they are one of the most expensive ($12/team). Sites like MFL and Fantrax offer a flat rate for the league--more teams spread out the price. RSO charges per team, so there's no difference in joining an 8-team, 12-team, or 24-team league. Additionally, given their speed at which they update features and layout, you really aren't getting the best, most customizable, pretty product--they still don't have an app that can do more than set lineups or check scores, for example.

I'm still going with them this year because I believe they have the makings of a solid, industry-changing product, but I am a little worried that they've been around for 6 years and have continued to slow down since about 2015 or so.

Pros? Their support is pretty awesome. Kyle English usually gets back to me very quickly when I have questions.

FantasyDocOC
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby FantasyDocOC » Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:38 pm

heyfeefellskee wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:52 am It's a fun idea. I go back and forth on writing a proposal to them about what needs to change on the site.

The auction is a super fun idea. It's advertised to take 3-4 hours. However, it is going to take much longer--even for a "normal" dynasty league. I have a league at the early startup phase and we have knocked out 6 hours and 140 players have been selected. In a 12-team, 30-man roster league where 360 players are going to end up on rosters, it's obviously going to take a while. I believe they need to being working on an alternative option that allows for a slow auction style that still utilizes their AI system. I think doing that would be a game changer.

2nd, they simply aren't offering a competitive price when considering the product. Out of the paid platforms that offer dynasty support, they are one of the most expensive ($12/team). Sites like MFL and Fantrax offer a flat rate for the league--more teams spread out the price. RSO charges per team, so there's no difference in joining an 8-team, 12-team, or 24-team league. Additionally, given their speed at which they update features and layout, you really aren't getting the best, most customizable, pretty product--they still don't have an app that can do more than set lineups or check scores, for example.

I'm still going with them this year because I believe they have the makings of a solid, industry-changing product, but I am a little worried that they've been around for 6 years and have continued to slow down since about 2015 or so.

Pros? Their support is pretty awesome. Kyle English usually gets back to me very quickly when I have questions.

^^^^^^^^^This is really insightful, I would only add that they are growing the product and have new features and a community base that is spreading with the All About Reality Podcast that features RSO-specific content with guests like Matt Waldman, Matt Harmon, Graham Barfield, and even DLF's own Jaron Foster.

Luke
@FantasyDocOC

bsacks13
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby bsacks13 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:15 pm

heyfeefellskee wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:52 am It's a fun idea. I go back and forth on writing a proposal to them about what needs to change on the site.

I use RSO and absolutely love it. If you contact them about ideas they will listen and write you back. I have contacted them many times with ideas and they have ALWAYS responded. Also, the fee for the league is a flat rate, not $12 per team. I am not sure where you got that from. They just raised their price this year from $99.00 to $129.00 if I remember correctly, but you can either pay it in full as the commissioner or have each team pay.

They just revamped their site and are working on a new app. They admit that they are a small operation which is why they are so expensive, but I absolutely love the platform. I can also agree that the auction does take AWHILE, but all in all I don't think you will be disappointed. It's not as flashy as ESPN or CBS and they don't have as much as far as cheat sheets or anything like that, but they are always trying to better themselves as a company, which I appreciate. Just know it's not a perfect product.
Team 1
Behind The Wall Fantasy Football League
10 Team 1pt PPR. Dynasty League Format.
Gotham City Jokers: 2022 0-0
QB: P. Mahomes, K. Cousins
RB: J. Mixon, J.K. Dobbins, B. Hall, J. Taylor, S. Perine, R. Johnson
WR: C. Kupp, M. Pittman, J. Jeudy, M. Thomas, A. Pierce, A. Thielen, J. Hyatt
TE: T. Kelce, E. Engram, L. Musgrave
DST: BUF, LAC

Team 2
Graterford FFL
12 Team. Standard Scoring - Redraft - Up to 2 Keepers - Must have 2 Kickers and 2 DST rostered.
1 QB, 2RB, 2WR, 1TE, 1K, 1DST
Jokers: 2022 0-0
QB: L. Jackson
RB: A. Ekeler, N. Chubb, J. Williams, D. Harris
WR:M. Pittman, D. Smith, M. Brown, E. Moore, J. Hyatt
TE: D. Goedart, C. Kmet, L. Musgrave
K: H. Butker, M. Gay
DST: DAL, NO

sportstalkryan
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby sportstalkryan » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:33 am

This is my 2nd year in an RSO league, and I was very disappointed in the auction.

First off, their player database needs to be cleaned up. There are often multiple copies of players, except the copy is listed as free agent instead of with an NFL team. But once Derek Carr, QB, FA was nominated even though he was already a keeper on another team. Much laughs were had at the guy's expense who was faked out, until it started becoming a big problem (more on that below). There's also a number of players in the database that haven't been in the NFL for a looooong time, including Tim Tebow and Aaron Hernandez. Additionally, while offensive players are in ADP order, defensive players are not. Nor are they in alphabetical order. So to find them, you have to know who you're looking for, and spend time clicking on team and position windows to find them, all while a short clock is ticking on the current auction. That was incredibly annoying.

The auction room is VERY similar to ESPN's (which has been around a lot longer). In both, you can find players and place them in a queue so that when it's your turn to nominate a player you can just go to the top guy in the queue, select him, and hit nominate. Except in the RSO auction room, this didn't work. After highlighting the player in the queue, the Nominate button didn't light up to be pressed. In ESPN, if the timer runs out when nominating, it automatically nominates the next highest player in your queue. RSO didn't do this. Instead, it nominated a random player. So the queue was completely useless, and instead was a distraction as I had spent a lot of time searching for and adding players to the queue for no purpose. The only way to nominate a player was to find him in the player database, select him, and then hit the nominate button (see the problems with the player database above). Because of the short time clock for nominating players, you'd better have the player visible in the player database when it was your turn to nominate so you could then select him and hit the nomination button before the timer ran out. Only one time I did that and the auction board STILL nominated a random player instead. A third of our owners never figured out how to nominate a player. I don't know if they were idiots or if maybe the auction room was being quirky with their browser. This still wasn't a big deal for the first half of the auction because the random players being nominated all received multiple bids. But when the big names were gone, some really rare players started being nominated, and they would undoubtedly go to the nominating team for the minimum $500K salary. Our Commish would try to halt the auction and remove the player from the team's roster, but quickly gave up on this when the same player came back up for nomination. I think Buffalo rookie WR Austin Proehl came up for bid 3 times.

Finally, if I wanted to give a young, low salaried player a multi-year deal, I'd better hope either someone else nominated him, or upped my initial bid. Because you could only nominate a player with a 1-year, minimum offer, and there wasn't enough time to manually enter a higher salary, click the number of years, and then click bid, before the timer ran out.

Also, the prices are too high. And I swear their user interface is even worse this year than last, and I thought last year's was the worst thing about their site.

So, yeah. They've got some things to work on. I don't know if I'll quit next year, as I like the other guys in the league, and I like my team. But I'm certainly not going to join any other RSO leagues until they fix these issues. All my other leagues are on MFL.
Commish of 4 leagues. Prefer full roster, IDP, salary cap, contract leagues designed to replicate the NFL GM experience as much as possible. Because THAT'S the fantasy.