Value of IDP contracts in an RSO league

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
RSO Baller
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Value of IDP contracts in an RSO league

Postby RSO Baller » Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:21 am

Hi to all. So I've decided to go all in on the dynasty experience by joining a startup RSO league with full IDP and 40 man rosters, with 20 starters. Previously I've played redraft and best ball for about the last five years, but wanted a more immersive experience. I think this is probably as close in fantasy as you get to the real thing, and although the rookie draft and free agent auction are a long way off, I'm getting in as much research as possible.

Enough waffle though, what I'm really interested in at this stage is the cost of free agent IDPs in a startup? I've looked at the spreadsheet for last season that I use for calculating VBD in redraft, and applied auction values. I know that the calculations on the offensive players are out by a factor of about 2, which is easily resolved (David Johnson at $48.4 as an example). However, I want to get an idea of how much the IDPs are out. The most valuable IDP works out at $9.5M, and the drop off to the minimum contract value happens a lot quicker. I know that scoring system has an impact, but I think that the IDP scoring in this league is fairly standard, or if anything a little tackle heavy, as follows: Tackles for loss 3; Tackles 1 point; Assists 0.5; Sacks 3; Half Sacks 1.5; Interceptions 3; Fumble Recovery 2; Safeties 2; Forced Fumble 1; Passes Defended 2; Interception and fumble recovery return TD 6.

I also appreciate that age is a factor that I need to work into my calculations at some point, but any input that more experienced members may be able to offer would be greatly appreciated.

RSO Baller
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Re: Value of IDP contracts in an RSO league

Postby RSO Baller » Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:59 am

Maybe I need to simplify my question given the lack of responses, . If the amount of IDP starters are the same as the offensive starters, what tends to be the difference in price between the two?

EDIT: Mods - if this thread is more suited to the IDP board, then please feel free to move it.

heyfeefellskee
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby heyfeefellskee » Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:12 am

I'm interested in this as well. I would expect there to be a lot of short contrat, large salary amounts for IDPs--LBs could be on longer-term deals. In terms of actual amounts, though, I have no clue.

FantasyDocOC
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby FantasyDocOC » Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:52 am

As one of the hosts of the new RSO-centric "All about Reality" podcast, we can scrape that data and address these questions for you. Send a question on twitter to @fantasydococ. The pod is only two episodes deep so far: https://anchor.fm/rsopodcast/episodes/E ... 6/a-a1ptlh and can be found on iTunes

sportstalkryan
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby sportstalkryan » Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:20 am

The most accurate answer is also going to be the least rewarding: it depends.

Specifically, it depends on the other owners in your league. This is an auction after all, and so the price will be determined by the market. And so it's best to be flexible, and anticipate multiple scenarios so that early on in an auction you can identify which will best fit and focus your strategy quickly. In my experience, defensive players are almost always UNDERVALUED related to the points that they can accumulate. And the opposite applies as well, offensive players will be overvalued. I always like to get a sense of prices at each position before committing to a big contract, and then determine which positions to target.

I did a RSO startup last year, and for some bizarre reason CBs were going for way too much money. That's the least important IDP position because of the year-to-year variability in stats. I usually fill my roster with minimum salary CBs. So I was quite happy to see other teams wasting their money at that position while I focused on defensive linemen, who score quite well under that league's scoring rules.
Commish of 4 leagues. Prefer full roster, IDP, salary cap, contract leagues designed to replicate the NFL GM experience as much as possible. Because THAT'S the fantasy.