First time Dynasty Auction Startup Draft Help

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
RCarr
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

First time Dynasty Auction Startup Draft Help

Postby RCarr » Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:55 am

I'm no stranger to fantasy football, but this will be my first ever dynasty league. We are doing a startup auction draft Monday, August 28th. I basically have no idea what I'm doing, as far as strategy.

I can't seem to find dynasty auction rankings (AKA dollar amount values for players in a dynasty format). I can find re-draft auction values, or dynasty snake format ADP, but I can't find $$ values in a dynasty league setting.

Does such a thing exist?

Also, how should I plan to spend my money? What % of my money should I put into each position? How much should I put into the starting lineup vs. my bench.

Here is the link to my league's settings: http://fantasy.nfl.com/league/4953518/settings

10 teams, ppr, 1QB/2RB/2WR/1TE/3FLEX(RB/WR/TE)/16 BENCH SLOTS/3IR SLOTS

25 round auction draft, $200 budget. Players salaries increase by 10% or $1 each season (Whichever is higher). WAAB blind bidding for waivers, $100 budget for the season. Salary Cap is $250 (starting next year). No limit on amount of seasons you can keep a player for (granted you can afford their salary each year).

Any help, resources, tips, and/or strategies would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you

oaks2017
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Re: First time Dynasty Auction Startup Draft Help

Postby oaks2017 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:22 am

Good Morning,

Below is a link to the MFL Average Auction Values (AAV). There are a few options that you can set to customize your draft criteria. The average value on there is based on $200 not $2000 like it shows on the page. It's pretty obvious but it was confusing at first.

I'd set it for 500 players (338 or so show up so you get all the data), PPR, All types and After August 15. Use All Types because the data set is much larger and you should shade a salary cap more towards re-draft than dynasty because age is not really a factor in salary cap. Especially because your league seems like a modified dynasty / salary cap league without contracts. As of now, there appears to be about 40 drafts since Aug 15 so the data set is pretty good. You can choose an older date and get more data but that doesn't take into account the preseason so far and any injuries.

http://www60.myfantasyleague.com/2017/aav?L=20723

If you have an MFL league, go to the Links pull down on the top of the page: Links => Fantasy Links => Average Auction Values. I can never seem to remember where to find this info.

If it was me, I'd spend the bulk of the money on mid-round WR's and RB 0's. 2-QB's 2-TE's. Given that it is a dynasty league, you should be able to get vets like Brees and Brady cheap. Then grab a young QB or 2 depending on the value. I like Mariota, Winston, Carr, etc just like everyone else so the actual auction values for those guys will likely be a bit higher than the AAV's. TE's, I'd go with someone like Ertz (back end of the top 10) and one of the TE rookies. Or maybe take a flyer on Reed if he's cheap because of the injury issues. You have a ton of bench spots, it might be good to grab a few of those rookie TE's. The beautiful part of auction is that you can really get whoever you want so if there are bargains, make sure to get in on it.

My experience with Auctions is that a majority of the owners will blow a ton of budget early in the auction on the high dollar players. I'd definitely stay out of those. It can be hard to stay out of the fray because guys like AB, Bell, DJ etc are great to have but I guarantee you it will take at least $60 to get those guys. You can get 3-4 really solid, consistent RB's and WR's for that same price. If you really want one of those guys, don't go for the first couple, wait till the 4-6 nomination because the sticker price will start to scare guys and you will probably be able to get a guy like Evans or Cooper at a bargain compared to AB and OBJ. The really solid, re-draft mid round guys go cheap. Guys like Diggs, Baldwin, etc... Look at the guys on the AAV from No. 25 - 75. You can get DHop and DThomas for the same price as AB. Let the rest of the league blow their money on the high dollar guys and buy a bunch in the middle. You'll kick their bleep in the WR2 and the 3 flex spots. If it's 1 point per reception, I'd look for the mid round RB's and WR's with lots of receptions. It's amazing how the points pile up at 1 PPR. I'd plan to spend about 10-15% more than the AAV for those mid round guys because there is bound to be some guys in your league doing the same thing.

You can copy the AAV data off the MFL site and paste it into a spreadsheet to manipulate the data however you want. I'd create another column and add 20% to the top 20 or so, add 15% to 20-80 or so and 10% to the rest of the AAV data set to get a more accurate cheat sheet to what will actually happen. Then there won't be any big surprises. I'd find the 2016 Stats and add a column for receptions because 1 PPR is a big deal in your scoring system. I'd sort it by position and make tiers. Then you can grab the bargains in each tier as the auction unfolds. Typically the guys in the middle of your tiers will be the best bargains.

It's going to be hard to stay out of the high end and big hype guys auctions but if you do, you'll end up with a deep roster that will win more that it will lose. You'll be in a better position during the bye weeks and you'll be in a much better position when the cap hits next year.

Good Luck.
Chris Oelkers
MFL Empire League Commish
RSO Team Owner

RCarr
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Re: First time Dynasty Auction Startup Draft Help

Postby RCarr » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:47 am

Wow, that is quite the answer! Thank you so much! This is exactly what I was looking for. Time to do some research! :)