Startup Salary Cap Strategy Advice

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
oaks2017
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Startup Salary Cap Strategy Advice

Postby oaks2017 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:00 am

Good Morning,

I'm going into my first salary cap startup auction soon and I'm looking for some advice on some strategy ideas.

The league is on RSO - $167,000,000 2017 cap
25 Roster Spots - We don't have to fill all the spots
Start
1 QB
2 RB
3 WR
1 TE
1 RB/WR/TE Flex
1 K - Unfortunately
1 D - Unfortunately

4 - 4 year contracts
6 - 3 year contracts
8 - 2 year contracts

50% penalty per contract year for dropping signed players.

I won't know my 3 round Rookie Snake Draft position until 30 minutes before the draft so some of this may change depending on who I can get. The rookie draft is before the auction so any of the rookies not picked will be available for auction.

No one in the league has ever played salary cap FF. I've listened to the DLF salary cap pods several times and my basic strategy is to treat this like more of a redraft than a dynasty league with a few exceptions. I plan to mostly sign veteran players to 1 and 2 yr contracts to stay flexible. One thing I've learned about dynasty auctions is that there are a ton of top 20 RBs and WRs available in the middle of the auction at really discounted rates. I'm going into the auction with this strategy because I assume that most if not all of the other owners will use most of their long term contracts on young players and ignore the older vets. Then they will have smaller amounts of cap space available for future annual FA auctions because their caps will be tied up long term. Plus, if this doesn't work out, I'm not stuck with a bunch of long contracts on guys that are not producing. Obviously if there are young high ceiling players going at discounts, I'll have to jump in and possibly use some of the 3yr deals. I'm going to attempt to have at least 5% of the cap available after the auction.

These are my questions....

1. I'm planning on using one of my 4yr contracts to sign a young low floor/high upside QB. Preferably Mariota or Winston or Carr. For my other QB, I'm thinking of getting someone like Brees/Brady/Ben for a 1yr deal. I assume that if I want to get them again next year, their value will not go up, if not drop, in value for 2018 because of their age.

2. Unfortunately, we have to have a K and D. I like to stream these positions in redraft or Dynasty but I really can't in RSO because of the cap implications. What do you think about locking the Seattle D (or maybe Baltimore) and Gostkowski up with 4yr deals? The NFC west is horrible and will be for at least a couple more years and Gostkowski is typically near the top of the kicker scoring. Then I could pick up and another D and K for Bye weeks at the minimum $500k contract. Those positions will be set for 4yrs except for Bye weeks. Using MFL average auction values projected to the RSO cap, it looks like on average this will cost about 3% of my cap or $5M per year for SEA and Gostkowski. Maybe Baltimore might be better because their average is more like $1M per year as opposed to $2.3M per year for the Seahawks.

3. I'm assuming that the high end WRs will be nominated at the beginning of the Auction so I'm not sure this will work because the other owners will not have shown their strategy yet. What do you think about getting OBJ or Evans signed to a 1yr contract? The idea would be to reacquire them in the 2018 FA auction on a longer contract at a discounted rate. That's assuming the other owners will not have nearly as much cap space as me because most of their cap is tied up in long term deals. I'm assuming that will cost me about 40% of my 2017 cap to sign either of them to a 1yr deal over a comparable 4yr deal (20-30%).

Please let me know what you think about these ideas and any other suggestions you may have for a salary cap startup league. Thanks for your time.

Chris
Chris Oelkers
MFL Empire League Commish
RSO Team Owner

kam011
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Re: Startup Salary Cap Strategy Advice

Postby kam011 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:19 am

Was wondering what you ended up doing in this draft. Anything that you learned that you care to share? thanks!

bsacks13
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Re: Startup Salary Cap Strategy Advice

Postby bsacks13 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:29 am

I run my league on RSO and love it. Believe it or not you can stream a K and DST even in this league as long as you don't strap yourself cap wise. I would not waste a 4 yr on a kicker or DST. My advice would be to lock up young RB's with your 4 year contracts. I think the WR position is loaded. It all depends how you are trying to build your team and where you want to spend your money. You def. do not want to be right up against the cap because it will be harder to execute trades. But I am def. wondering how you employ your strategy and how it turns out for you.
Team 1
Behind The Wall Fantasy Football League
10 Team 1pt PPR. Dynasty League Format.
Gotham City Jokers: 2022 0-0
QB: P. Mahomes, K. Cousins
RB: J. Mixon, J.K. Dobbins, B. Hall, J. Taylor, S. Perine, R. Johnson
WR: C. Kupp, M. Pittman, J. Jeudy, M. Thomas, A. Pierce, A. Thielen, J. Hyatt
TE: T. Kelce, E. Engram, L. Musgrave
DST: BUF, LAC

Team 2
Graterford FFL
12 Team. Standard Scoring - Redraft - Up to 2 Keepers - Must have 2 Kickers and 2 DST rostered.
1 QB, 2RB, 2WR, 1TE, 1K, 1DST
Jokers: 2022 0-0
QB: L. Jackson
RB: A. Ekeler, N. Chubb, J. Williams, D. Harris
WR:M. Pittman, D. Smith, M. Brown, E. Moore, J. Hyatt
TE: D. Goedart, C. Kmet, L. Musgrave
K: H. Butker, M. Gay
DST: DAL, NO