Dynasty Leagues/Free Agent Auctions

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
PFKFootball
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Dynasty Leagues/Free Agent Auctions

Postby PFKFootball » Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:59 pm

Guys,

Looking for information on what some of the dynasty leagues out there do with your free agent auctions. Up until 2016, we would have owners bid on an annual salary only. Then, after the auction, the owner could determine the contract length. Using a formula, some of that contract could be guaranteed. Last year, we started using a formula (loosely based on RSO's free agent auction room) where an owner could bid number of years, guaranteed money % and total contract. The spreadsheet would calculate a value on that bid and the highest score would win the player. We had some very realistic contracts come out of the auction but, as you can imagine, it was a bit too complex and overwhelmed some owners and caused the auction to get held up at times.

I'd love to hear how you guys are doing your free agent auctions in your salary cap/dynasty league. I'd love to find a happy medium into between the simplistic single dollar amount bid and the advanced length, guaranteed money, full contract amount process.

Any suggestions are welcomed. Thanks in advance.

Andy

moishetreats
Legend
Legend

Re: Dynasty Leagues/Free Agent Auctions

Postby moishetreats » Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:54 pm

Our league is entirely free market: when a free agent is bid on and won in-season, then the winning owner must assign him a contract immediately, same as during the off-season auction.
10 tms 27 plrs PPR
Start: 2QB 2RB 3WR 2TE 2Flex / best ball

QB: Herbert, Love, Rodgers, G Smith, Stidham, T Taylor, Hall
RB: McCaffrey, Mixon, Pacheco, Montgomery, Z White, Allgeier, Dillon
WR: Hill, St. Brown, Kupp, Allen, Lockett, B Johnson
TE: Kelce, Kmet, Kraft, Okonkwo, Dulcich, Tremble

2024: 2.09, 3.07, 3.08, 3.10, 4.08
2025: 2nd (x2), 4th, 5th (x2)
2026: 1st, 2nd (x2), 3rd, 4th, 5th

12 tms 22 active plyrs. Salary Cap $300 PPR
Start: 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1SF 1Flex / best ball

QB: Lawrence (contract through 2026), Love ('24), Rodgers ('24), Stidham ('25), Lock ('25)
RB: Bijan Robinson ('25), Pollard ('27), Dillon ('24), Rodriguez ('24), Spiller ('24)
WR: G Wilson ('26), AJ Brown ('26), DJ Montgomery ('25)
TE: --
2024 Cap Spent: $186

IR: --
TAXI SQUAD (4 max): --

bruiser
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Re: Dynasty Leagues/Free Agent Auctions

Postby bruiser » Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:40 am

Andy, salary/contract leagues are very complex in nature and require tedious commissioners. The amount of extra work required to run them is hard to explain to the non-commish participants. I try to let the software do as much of the heavy lifting as possible because there is just so much work to do. With this, I do not do external tracking on spreadsheets.

The MFL software is always taking heat for what it doesn't do, etc... but I've found it to perform very well for S/C leagues. I've even called for emergency votes, offseason rules changes, etc to tailor these types of leagues to the software in order to prevent commissioner burnout.

I can't over-state this: the commissioner in a S/C league is the engine driving the ship. If the engine burns up, the ship will just drift out to sea and be lost. Tailor your S/C league setup to the software.
Just a guy who loves fantasy football - specifically defense.