Scaled salary penalty for dropping players

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
SauceBoss
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Scaled salary penalty for dropping players

Postby SauceBoss » Sun Jun 11, 2017 7:08 pm

Does anyone know of a good way to apply a salary penalty for dropping a contract player that decreases yearly? We are on MFL.

I know that there is a setting to apply a salary percentage multiplied by the years left on a player's contract but our league has a penalty that continues for the length of that player,s contract but decreases by a percentage each season.

i.e. player signed to a 3 year contract is dropped the second year of the contract. Our system says that the penalty is 25% in the second year and then 10% the last year of the contract.

Is there script or any add in or any other method of making this happen other than tracking separately and then manually doing the adjustments to salary?

Any help would be awesome! Thanks!
Started with orphans in contract leagues, not doing too bad. Thirsty for more.

bruiser
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Re: Scaled salary penalty for dropping players

Postby bruiser » Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:21 pm

NO. I had a league that started this way and the commish burned out. Wayyyyyyyy too much hand-tracking pennies. Do yourself a favor and adopt a better system. The most important cause-effect of that system is that is does not penalize enough for cutting a player with a bad contract.... hyper-inflation ensues at a rapid rate with each new season.

Still interested to hear the cure?
Just a guy who loves fantasy football - specifically defense.

Capitalist Pig
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Capitalist Pig » Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:14 pm

I used to do it by hand as well, tracking penalties in Excel. You could request a future fix to MFL regarding a scaled option for subsequent years' penalties...short-term fix, probably not gonna happen.
Eat more BACON. You won't be sorry.

SauceBoss
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby SauceBoss » Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:43 pm

Bruiser wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:21 pm NO. I had a league that started this way and the commish burned out. Wayyyyyyyy too much hand-tracking pennies. Do yourself a favor and adopt a better system. The most important cause-effect of that system is that is does not penalize enough for cutting a player with a bad contract.... hyper-inflation ensues at a rapid rate with each new season.

Still interested to hear the cure?
I'm interested. We're discussing the framework of another contract league to start next spring and will likely have to cross that bridge.
(been swamped at work, sorry for the late post)
Started with orphans in contract leagues, not doing too bad. Thirsty for more.

bruiser
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby bruiser » Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:00 am

Ok, here goes:

Use a fixed %age penalty. I started a league in 2015 using 40% guaranteed salaries. It's working very well, and here's how: 40% against the current season will give an owner 60% of his current salary as cap relief. If a player with more than 1 year left on his contract is dropped, he is due the balance of the 40% guarantees against the next year's cap.

EXAMPLE: Nelson Agholor was dropped (Salary: $3,000,000, Years: 3, Type: R)
His penalty against 2017 is $1,200,000 as handled directly by the software. The commish would then want his penalty to be 40% x 2 years due as dead cap against 2018 (similarly handled this way in the NFL). In 2018, you leave the transaction record on the owner's SALARY ADJUSTMENT page next year (delete all trans records from expired years). You then add the dead cap year (3) to his debit as an adjustment. In 2019, you delete all transaction penalties related to this Nelson Agholor early release.

IN SUMMARY
Releasing a player incurs a 40% hit in the current season. All of his dead cap guarantees (40% x yrs rem) are due on the 1st day of the next season. I use February 1st as the fiscal rollover date. In contract/salary leagues, it is important to have all owners paid by this date if you plan on executing rollover in conjunction with unfreezing transactions like trading and Post-Feb 1st cuts. This is a parallel to the NFL's Post-June 1st cuts where players are held until after this date to spread out his dead cap. For the purpose of new/replacement owners, you do not want to carry dead cap penalties more than one year into the future. I include dead cap numbers in the dispersal draft each February where each new owner must select a dead cap package (custom player) in the dispersal draft. This will maintain a complete financial landscape of your league.
Just a guy who loves fantasy football - specifically defense.

millworkguy
Captain
Captain

Postby millworkguy » Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:40 pm

We have a sliding scale penalty for dropping players and lock the ability to drop players. So all srops are done by a waiver commish who not only adds the penalty on mfl but also keeps a written notes. We also allow accelerated drops, nut only prior to week 1. In order to cut down the work by the waiver commish, all released players (fa) are eligible to be sropped without penalty as long as thet are unsigned. Our sliding scale starts at 50% and drops by 10% for the first 4 years, then stays at 10%. For accelerated cap hits, the first 3 years are 75% each and further years are 20% each
PPR IDP Contract Cap:
ConF (16 Team)
DAF (16 team)
DW2- Co-Commish (16 Team)

PPR IDP Salary Cap:
Hardcore - LAC (32 team)
T1 - Commish (12 team)
T2 - Commish (16 Team)