Start-Up - Dynasty - Salary Cap - Auction Draft -- Please Help

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
UNDKasey
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Start-Up - Dynasty - Salary Cap - Auction Draft -- Please Help

Postby UNDKasey » Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:13 am

Hello all! I am a long-time user of the site and lurking a bit on the message boards,

Settings:
12 Team Superflex -- 0.5PPR with 1PPR for TE Prem -- QB/RB/RB/WR/WR/WR/TE/SFlex/Flex/Flex -- 10 Starters, 22 Player Roster, 4 Taxi Squad (salary does not count while on taxi squad.
167 Salary Cap (moving up mirroring the NFL salary cap movement)
55 years/contracts per team to spread out on players 1-4 years (salary same per year, if you bid 4 on a player and go 3 years its 4-4-4)
https://www76.myfantasyleague.com/2017/ ... 58344&O=26 (Link to league)(Settings are changing a bit and 24 hour clock for auction)

I am a veteran of fantasy and somewhat a veteran of dynasty. I know all the sources for dynasty rankings, trade values, have my own personalized rankings, etc... I have even done a dynasty startup auction (granted a pretty shallow and much different format). My problem is I can find very few dynasty auction values/resources and some particular questions...

How much cap space should I leave open, since we use the remaining cap as FAAB type bids during the season?
You can roll over up to 20% of the cap or 33... How important is rolling over cap space to next season?
How much to expect to pay for the top studs (OBJ, Luck, Zeke, etc...)?
How much to allocate for each position? (I have a decent idea on this one, but not 100% clear on it.)
How to spread out the contracts?

I have browsed a little bit on the forum and a lot of people say to not over-prepare or be flexible, etc... which I am ok with... but I at least need to have a baseline to know what is a value and what is overpaying.

I would appreciate any help or links to active salary cap leagues that may be similar just to see what some of the contracts look like.

Thanks!

bruiser
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Re: Start-Up - Dynasty - Salary Cap - Auction Draft -- Please Help

Postby bruiser » Sat Jun 10, 2017 4:30 am

You've come to the right forum. I don't have any leagues with rollover cap, so that's a cool feature. How does that work? Is your cap space at the beginning of the season used, or is it the end of the season?

In my opinion, a team that is punting year one or rebuilding at any time would want to maximize their rollover cap toward the contending season. We saw the Jaguars and Raiders do this a couple years ago. However, many times salary cap/contract leagues fail to keep a fresh supply of players hitting free agency. This would make a hoard of cash useless. I see this league caps the contract years at 55. That's one way to accomplish the turnover rate. I just counted the contract years up on my oldest team, and I currently sit at about 120years (50-man roster).

Here's a link to my roster (Bruisers - 2014 Champion)

You can see that Tom Brady was just won in free agency for $10.8M and has not been given a contract yet. There are about 10 new players to my team. Notice Dez Bryant's new salary is way up there, but it should have been much higher given the supply of cash and the scarcity of game-changing players hitting the market. We've had this league going since the NFL cap was $133M. We pegged our cap to their number and give a 5% raise to all players annually, so retaining players is cheaper than the annual rate of inflation.

The problem with this league's original design was that it didn't penalize nearly enough for tearing up bad contracts. Dead cap penalties were so low and distributed out across the entire length of the voided contract that they were insignificant. Add this to the 8% cash increase each year - none of our teams were in cap trouble... ever. In fact, we were all in great financial shape. This caused offseason prices to soar!

We are still mitigating the damage done in our first three seasons. Because the league members will not vote for the final rule to rectify this (make the 5th year rookie option expensive and only give it to the first 32 selections) we will continue down this path. The commish has announced that he will make the executive decision next year to put an end to uber-cheap player retention, so we'll see how it shakes out with owners staying or leaving.
Just a guy who loves fantasy football - specifically defense.

UNDKasey
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Re: Start-Up - Dynasty - Salary Cap - Auction Draft -- Please Help

Postby UNDKasey » Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:49 am

1. Rollover is your cap space at the trade deadline. (max 20% of current cap).
2. 55 contract/years was voted on to give a little more player turnover.

I am finding this salary cap thing more and more interesting!