Start-up Auction Using Guaranteed Values

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
chuy1530
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Start-up Auction Using Guaranteed Values

Postby chuy1530 » Wed May 31, 2017 10:07 pm

I'm joining my first salary cap league (1QB/2RB/3WR/3FLEX/1SFLEX 10 teams) and they're picking a rather unconventional way to do the start up auction. 20 players are going to be nominated at a time. Bidding will be slow-paced and you win a player if your bid is the highest for 24 hours, at which time you'll nominate another player.

That all I can deal with. The thing I'm having trouble with is that it looks like we're going to use guaranteed contract value instead of one-year contract value to determine who wins the auctions. So for example, if I bid $20 for 1 year on a guy and another guy bids $7 for 3 years then the other guy will win. Also there is a cap on total contract years you can hand out.

It seems to me like every stud player is going to be on a 4 year contract, whether that makes any real sense or not. At QB and WR I guess that isn't such a terrible thing, but at RB it seems like a nightmare. There's a vanishingly small handful of RBs I would be comfortable handing a 4 year deal to and those guys are going to be the ones everyone is going after.

I kind of see two strategies I could use. The first would be to go all-out for at least one of those young stud RBs, potentially two, and build around them. The idea is that I'll be able to find mid-tier WRs that I'm at least somewhat confident will have value in 3-4 years, but I can't say the same about RBs.

The second would be to go with a 'traditional' 0-RB strategy. I can start 5 WRs if I want, and it'll help lower my risk of getting stuck with more dud contracts. If I let the other teams blow their money on the RBs then hopefully I can pick up some good and ascendant WRs and build up around there.

Does anyone have experience with this sort of start up draft? Any advice/articles/podcasts that deal specifically with guaranteed value auctioning?
Team 1 (Regular Dynasty)
12 Team .5 PPR league, no D or K, 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 3 Flex (RB/WR/TE)

QB: Aaron Rodgers, Eli Manning, Patrick Mahomes
WR: Odell Beckham Jr, Dez Bryant, Stefon Diggs, Jordan Matthews, Terrell Pryor, Willie Snead, Breshard Perriman, Chris Godwin
TE: Tyler Eifert, Austin Hooper, Jonnu Smith
RB: Leonard Fournette, Carlos Hyde, CJ Anderson, Doug Martin, Paul Perkins, Terrance West, Bilal Powell, Tarik Cohen

Team 2 (Salary Cap, $167 cap, finishing auction so years not assigned yet)
12 team league. .5PPR but 1PPR for TEs. 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 2 FLEX, 1 SFLEX
QB: Manning (16), Roethlisberger (22)
RB: Gordon (19.50), Gurley (17), West (3), Joe Williams (4.75)
WR: Hill (11.50), Pryor (10.50), Crowder (8), Britt (5.50), Ross (5.25), Godwin (4.75), Garcon (4.5), Treadwell (2), T. Williams (.75), Higgins (.75)
TE: Gronkowski (17.75), Hooper (5.75), Julius Thomas (1.75)
Taxi Squad: C. Kelly, S. Curtis, T. Taylor, J. Smith

pokerplayer1000
All Pro
All Pro

Re: Start-up Auction Using Guaranteed Values

Postby pokerplayer1000 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:07 am

My question would be...how is this auction going to be managed? through MFL? because if that is the case there is no way to assign, through their auction system that you are bidding 7m for 3 years or 20m for 1 year.
10Team-2QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 2FLX 1DL 1LB 1DB
QB: Watson/Lamar/FitzMAGIC
RB: Cook/Jacobs/Kamara/Guice/JWilliams
WR: Kupp/Landry/CRidley/Sutton/Fitz/Campbell/Agholar/Boykin
TE: Henry/Hooper/Fant
DL: Houston/Calias
LB: Littleton/Blake
DB: Walker/Bell
20: 1.02,1.08,2.01,2.05,2.08
21: 2 1sts
-
10Team-2QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 2FLX 1 DE,DT,LB,S,CB,FLX,DL/DB
QB: Goff/Stafford/Fitz/Allen/Luck
RB: Zeke/CMC/DJ/Thompson/Barber/Laird
WR: OBJ/Amari/Keenan/Thielen/Fitz/Deebo/Beasley/Boykin/Renfrow/Harmon(TS)
TE: Ebron/Hooper/Vance/Hurst(TS)/Knox(TS)
DE: Jordan/Bosa/Lawerence
DT: Lawerence/Reader
LB: Jaylon/Martinez/Roquan/Campbell
CB: TWhite/King
S: Johnson III/Bell/Jenkins
-
10Team-2QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1FLX 1DL 1LB 1DB 1FLX
QB: Goff/BigBen/Ryan/Rivers/Minshew
RB: MG3/Kamara/Thompson/AP
WR: Julio/Nuk/Adams/MJones/Fitz/Lazard/Tate/Isabella(TS)/Renfrow(TS)
TE: Ertz/Higbee/Ebron/Vance/Knox
DL: Lawerence/Jones(KC)/Ingram
LB: DWhite/Leonard/Werner
DB: Walker/Humphrey
20: 1.06, 1.10, 2.06

gv514974
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Re: Start-up Auction Using Guaranteed Values

Postby gv514974 » Sun Jun 11, 2017 1:17 pm

My league does bid amount for one year and then has built in raises. We also have a cap on contract lengths.

After the player is won on the initial auction the player assigns a contract length to them 1-5 years.