Open-ended contract 14-team IDP league formation

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Krytellan
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Open-ended contract 14-team IDP league formation

Postby Krytellan » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:52 pm

Posted this in another subforum. In hindsight, it's probably better here.

I'm starting up a new dynasty league and have been pondering a couple of things that I thought some people might have opinions on. This is a contract league (14-team full IDP).

After the inaugural auction, all players contracts start at that cost, but there is no defined contract length. The maximum a player can be kept is 5 years, however. So in lieu of defining contracts up front there are different rates of increase. Veteran contracts increase yearly at a rate of 10%, and rookie contracts increase at a rate of 25%. As a point of reference, salary cap is $150k and a Rookie 1.01 pick is $7k (2.01 is $3k).

The intent is to try to straddle the line of keeping players in the FA pool every year for the auction, but also allow someone to really hang onto someone who pans out for them in a significant way. I want to provide freedom to make hard choices year-to-year, but also keep the pond well stocked. The high rate jump for rookies will make people really think hard on keeping a middling player on a rookie contract.

With all that said, my biggest dilemma is on the rate of a guaranteed contract. I figure the cost of such high flexibility is that once you choose to retain a player, that next year is 75% guaranteed should you drop them. I have actually been thinking that maybe I should take the plunge and go for a 100% guarantee (for the current year only). There is a (4-player, any time, any reason) IR that allows 50% relief, so it's not barbaric.

Given that there is such flexibility and people get to make decisions on every single player on their roster from year to year, does 100% guaranteed contracts after season rollover seem too ridiculous?

Any opinions are welcome.