What did your 2016 League Winning Salary Cap Team Look Like?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Ravenous
Role Player
Role Player

What did your 2016 League Winning Salary Cap Team Look Like?

Postby Ravenous » Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:56 pm

I am curious,

If you won your salary cap league in 2016, what did your team look like as far as the cap % of your main contributors, and how many more years are they signed for?
Too many teams and lineup changes to keep track of them all.

bruiser
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Re: What did your 2016 League Winning Salary Cap Team Look Like?

Postby bruiser » Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:08 am

I did not win any leagues in 2016 due to a heavy investment in the same players across the board (Cutler, Dez, AJG, Ameer, Keenan Allen). But I will chime in that my winning teams in previous years had important role players that were just one year cogs. I typically lose about one-third of my roster to free agency each offseason.

As to cap commitments and roster construction: this is going to vary as wide and inconsistent as there are innumerable league formats. In 2014, my main contributor was OBJ on rookie contract, but I also had JJ Watt at about 13% of my cap and Gronk at 10%. You will not draw any reasonable conclusion from this data because everything is so league-specific.
Just a guy who loves fantasy football - specifically defense.

SmiceHiggins
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Re: What did your 2016 League Winning Salary Cap Team Look Like?

Postby SmiceHiggins » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:11 am

Didn't win but the 2 teams in the championship of our start up league both didn't spend more than 12-15% of their budget on a player (they got guys like Bell, Evans, Cooper for relatively cheap).

These 2 teams ended up having a lot of cap staying on the books for next year (15-20% of their budget will be available in the auction) but I think that was by luck of getting some blue chip players for friendly deals.

I went in investing in a lot of older or semi unproven players on 1 year deals while committing a lot of cap my longer term deals to rookies and WRs and QBs, hoping to either strike gold in a quick win now team or flame out and build for the future (latter won out). I think I was set to have 30-40% of my budget come off the books but pivoted during the deadline when I noticed the upcoming FA class wasn't that amazing so I sold off my win now assets for injured/suspended/disappointing players with longer term contracts.

I think if you give yourself 25-33% of your cap space for year in/year out auction flexibility you should be able to retool on the fly. If you notice your league is willing to pay for expiring deals you can always load up on some older players with the goal of selling if things don't work out