Tight Cap/Offseason Move Advice

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
SmiceHiggins
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Tight Cap/Offseason Move Advice

Postby SmiceHiggins » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:57 am

I just completed my first year in a salary cap league. My team did not pan out and after making a slew of trades involving older win now pieces or expiring deals (ex. Brees, Hyde, Olsen) and trading for under performing or injured/suspended players (ARob, Jeffery, future 1sts) I am now up against the cap heading into this next season with a couple glaring weaknesses.

I'm looking for advice on any cuts or players to try and trade off.

League Settings: 10 teams, 24 man rosters (plus 4 IR), start 2 QB/2 RB/2 WR/ 2 Flex/1 TE, Cap: $250 (allowed to go over the cap during the regular season, hard cap during offseason activities)

Penalties: 25% of remaining contracts (can front load for the current year, or take a 25% penalty for each remaining year), Penalties end after each auction. Example: a 3 year $50 player can be cut for $37.50 this year (staying on your cap until post 2017 auction) or you can cut him for $12.50 for the next 3 years.

Luxury Tax: If you are over the $250 cap at the end of the trade deadline, you are taxed 25% of the amount over, in addition to having to get under the cap before offseason trading is opened up again.

My Team: Currently sitting at $239 in cap room with only Tyreek worth trying to resign. I own Picks 1.03, 2.03, 2.06 3.04, 4.03, which will TOTAL $7 in cap space if I use all of them, leaving me at $246 and no room to really pursue anyone new to my roster.

Anyone who is expiring I can "match" the free agency bid if I can fit it under my cap.
Team.png
Team.png (41.08 KiB) Viewed 339 times
Assuming I can't find anyone to take on any of these players in a trade, I plan to start off by cutting the following:

Hill - freeing up $12
Gio - freeing up $6
Hackenberg - freeing $1 (assuming Jets Draft a QB/ sign Cutler)
Jordan Matthews - freeing up $6

Based on empty roster spot rules I'd be looking at opening up the possibility of a Max bid of $27 or just spreading $31 across a few different players.

For reference to other league contracts:
Wilson is the 3rd highest QB after Luck and Cam, barely above Rodgers, most of the other QBs are around $30 or less

ARob is the 6th highest paid WR (behind OBJ, Brown, Julio, Hopkins, AJG)
Jeffery is 14th
Keenan is 17th

RBs went for either $25 - $46 or under $16, about half the expensive RBs or more busted and could be available with cuts. None are expiring though.

If you've read this far I'd appreciate some advice on whether I'm in the right mind set with my cuts or if I should cut more/less. We're in an offseason trade freeze period so I can't really do anything until post NFL draft, hoping the Bengals don't draft another RB so I can pawn Hill off.
Salary Cap: $250
Current Cap: $231

10 Team Standard, 24 Man Rosters, 2 QB/2 RB/2 WR/ 2 Flex/1 TE

Cap Penalties: 25%, Auction is RFA so I can match any contract

Name (Salary @ Years )
QBs: Dak Prescott ($12 @ 1), Phil Rivers ($19 @ 3), Matthew Stafford ($13 @ 1), Christian Hackenberg ($2 @ 1)
RBs: Todd Gurley ($46 @ 1), Tevin Coleman ($3 @ 1), Gio Bernard ($8 @ 1), Paul Perkins ($5 @ 2),CJ Prosise ($4 @ 3), Dion Lewis ($4 @ 2)
WRs: Allen Robinson ($35 @ 3), Alshon Jeffery ($25 @ 3), Keenan Allen ($23 @ 2), Jordan Matthews ($8 @ 1), Tyler Lockett ($7 @ 3), Corey Coleman ($6 @ 3), Laquon Treadwell ($6 @ 3),Leonte Carroo ($1 @ 2) Tyreek Hill (RFA)
TEs: Zach Ertz ($2 @ 2), Dwayne Allen ($1 @ 1), Tyler Higbee ($1 @ 3)

Draft Picks:
2017: 2.02, 2.03, 3.04, 4.03
2018: 2 1sts, 2nd, 3rd, 4th
2019: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th

Mighty4tress
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Re: Tight Cap/Offseason Move Advice

Postby Mighty4tress » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:26 am

For me - your first and best option would be to trade Wilson. followed by Jeffery and A Rob....in that order. Look for a QB or WR needy team that has some cap space. Jeffery is likely to be a tougher sell than A Rob, If your league permits it - look for creative opportunities for a multi-team trade. On of the dynasty leagues I commish has a three team deal cooking now. Team needs a #1 back, Team needs a #1 receiver, Team C needs to free up a butt load of cap space. Team B had no interest in Team A's offer for Gurley. Team B wanted Julio from Team C - but Team C didn't have the cap space to absorb the package from team B. Enter a three way deal - Gurley from B to A, Jones from C to B in exchange for a 2nd pick. Team A packages Stephon Diggs, TJ Yeldon, and a second in 2018.

I won't take time to detail the salary cap ramifications - but you get my drift. You may have to be creative and look for potential needs across multiple teams.