Creating the perfect league

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
dlf_tomk
Starter
Starter

Creating the perfect league

Postby dlf_tomk » Wed Nov 16, 2016 2:09 am

Hi all

I've been commissioning a redraft league for ten years now and as I've got more into dynasty I'm thinking I might give it up. Redraft just doesn't excite me that much any more.

Obviously that'll mean I have space for something else so I'm starting to pull ideas together on what sort of league I want to put my time and energy into running. And with the theory that many heads are better than one I thought I;d start gathering opinions.

What features do you love about leagues you're in?
What do you wish more leagues did?
What do you dislike about some of your leagues?

My initial thoughts are:

- 32 teams would be great [double player copies]. 16 as a minimum.
- Auction setup draft including contract years. Priority for contract decisions would be total value rather than annual average. So GMs could offer studs long contracts but obviously be locked in.
- For setup all rookies would be included in the draft. In a big league a random rookie draft order is too damning for some teams.
- 50 player rosters + 10 man taxi squads. I want the emphasis to be on sourcing talent rather than waiver pickups
- Salary cap that would be the current NFL cap. So it would change a little unpredictably every year.
- Fairly steep dead money from cancelled contracts. To work against people offering long contracts and then cutting those players.
- Player wage inflation - 10% maybe. To ensure additional roster churn once league is settled and running.
20 starting players. Full IDP lineups [natch]
- Free agent auction every June/July. Bidding to continue on each player until no bids are made. All bids have to be 10% higher in total value of current highest bid.
- Holdouts. Top-performing players will demand a salary hike.
- Renewals. If players are outside top X players at their position their contract years can be extended with a commensurate increase in salary.
- QB-premium. 6 pts for passing TDs.
- TE-premium. Full point PPR. [league would be 0.5 PPR as standard]
- DT premium. Sacks and tackles increased.
- Big-play medium-heavy IDP scoring to allow top pass rushers to be useful.

All thoughts welcome ladies and gents
IDP guy from England. Bashes out articles with dodgy graphs

@TomDegenerate

theone
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Re: Creating the perfect league

Postby theone » Wed Nov 16, 2016 3:48 pm

I am not a IDP guy so I will limit my response to an offensive only league. I really like the idea of using something like 20-24 teams,20 man rosters, 1SF/1RB/ 2WR/ 1TE/ 2 Flex spots, non-PPR, QB and TE premium scoring. These settings really help balance player values between positions (one of my key issues now), allow for roster flexibility, and makes for a competitive, deep league that is not too deep. Hate double copies (just adjust the size of league instead).
-Really like the RSO platform for a salary cap/contract league as it automates a lot of the issues you brought up (changing NFL cap, wage inflation, contract dead money and guarantees, FA auctions, etc.).

Just a few thoughts. Hopefully helps.

Eagles4life
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Eagles4life » Fri Nov 18, 2016 1:36 pm

I agree RSO's platform is pretty slick, I commission a league on their site and it does alleviate a lot of the administrative nightmares. Downside to their site is lack of customization features and setup abilities for commissioners, I assume this is intentional as they try to mimic the real NFL salary cap rules as much as possible. You cannot extend players as of yet (but it's a feature they may look to be adding as soon as next season) and their mobile app is poor. This is not intended to be a slight against RSO as they are growing site and their customer service is top notch!! I have no doubt it's going to be a better product in the months/years ahead. As a commissioner, it would be nice to have some additional flexibility with setup features, etc to make the league your own.

Lastly, if you do get this league off the ground, I would be interested in joining... keep me in mind. :D

Goirish374
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Goirish374 » Fri Nov 18, 2016 2:16 pm

i just want to "third" the props for RSO! you would have to manually execute some of the more creative ideas, hold outs for example, but that's true of MFL as well.

eagles: the ios app seems to update pretty sneakily. they don't do a good job of announcing what it can do that is new, probably bc its just one fan working on it, but i keep being surprised at new feature when i go dig into it. hopefully soon we will be able to execute contract related functions.
Dynasty League Football Premium League Almanac:
2020 Champ: me again! (no, for reals!)
2019 Champ: me!
2018 Champ: Qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj
2017 Champ: Irishdoom
2016 Champ: DDT(wakelawyer)
2015 Champ: BigChiefBC

bruiser
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby bruiser » Sat Nov 19, 2016 7:40 pm

TomK27 wrote: What features do you love about leagues you're in?
What do you wish more leagues did?
What do you dislike about some of your leagues?
A. 16-team (32/2) NFL salary caps, head coaching with good scoring/value, dead cap that hurts for cutting contracts, trade deadlines that protect the offseason work (week 8-10), trading blind-bid dollars to offset high contracts, requiring one full season of dues in advance in order to replace teams
B. Protect the playoff push by punishing incomplete lineups with future cap hits
C. Payouts are too spread out by NFL pools that I can get into elsewhere (I am in a league that has multiple pools like ESPNs Eliminator Challenge, Pick'em, etc); keep funds tied to league-specific games, require one full season of dues in advance in order to replace teams

I would recommend MFL if you are very specific about what you want in a league. There are many options there that will automate your functions/ideas. However, many commissioners try to implement ideas that are not automated. You must know what the software can do in order to let it work for you.

See my bylaws/settings here for a very similar setup.

See rule change/proposals we are currently debating

My startup was in 2015, and we began with a snake rookie draft that was determined by the Kentucky Derby standings. It was a lot of fun to watch the derby (an historic even that I would otherwise have no horse in the race). It is also fun to look back and point out just how insignificant rookie draft order really is when all of the worst teams in the league drew better draft slots. All of the better teams drew late.
Just a guy who loves fantasy football - specifically defense.

dlf_tomk
Starter
Starter

Postby dlf_tomk » Tue Nov 22, 2016 1:47 pm

theone wrote:I am not a IDP guy so I will limit my response to an offensive only league. I really like the idea of using something like 20-24 teams,20 man rosters, 1SF/1RB/ 2WR/ 1TE/ 2 Flex spots, non-PPR, QB and TE premium scoring. These settings really help balance player values between positions (one of my key issues now), allow for roster flexibility, and makes for a competitive, deep league that is not too deep. Hate double copies (just adjust the size of league instead).
Thanks. The reason Im thinking double player copies is because I love big leagues and I hate there being severely restricted player pools. To the point that some game weeks there might not be enough QBs or Ks to actually go around. I know some leagues award average points for those teams but for me thats a bad solution. So the options are either: have a league with 16 teams max or have double copies.

@TomDegenerate

dlf_tomk
Starter
Starter

Postby dlf_tomk » Tue Nov 22, 2016 1:54 pm

Eagles4life wrote:I agree RSO's platform is pretty slick, I commission a league on their site and it does alleviate a lot of the administrative nightmares. Downside to their site is lack of customization features and setup abilities for commissioners, I assume this is intentional as they try to mimic the real NFL salary cap rules as much as possible. You cannot extend players as of yet (but it's a feature they may look to be adding as soon as next season) and their mobile app is poor. This is not intended to be a slight against RSO as they are growing site and their customer service is top notch!! I have no doubt it's going to be a better product in the months/years ahead. As a commissioner, it would be nice to have some additional flexibility with setup features, etc to make the league your own.

Lastly, if you do get this league off the ground, I would be interested in joining... keep me in mind. :D
I'll do some research into RSO. From what Ive seen it seems a bit rigid but I havent done that much work.

And of course you're on my list :D All the IDP crew are of course welcome

@TomDegenerate

dlf_tomk
Starter
Starter

Postby dlf_tomk » Tue Nov 22, 2016 1:59 pm

Bruiser wrote: A. 16-team (32/2) NFL salary caps, head coaching with good scoring/value, dead cap that hurts for cutting contracts, trade deadlines that protect the offseason work (week 8-10), trading blind-bid dollars to offset high contracts, requiring one full season of dues in advance in order to replace teams
B. Protect the playoff push by punishing incomplete lineups with future cap hits
C. Payouts are too spread out by NFL pools that I can get into elsewhere (I am in a league that has multiple pools like ESPNs Eliminator Challenge, Pick'em, etc); keep funds tied to league-specific games, require one full season of dues in advance in order to replace teams

My startup was in 2015, and we began with a snake rookie draft that was determined by the Kentucky Derby standings. It was a lot of fun to watch the derby (an historic even that I would otherwise have no horse in the race). It is also fun to look back and point out just how insignificant rookie draft order really is when all of the worst teams in the league drew better draft slots. All of the better teams drew late.
Thanks Bruiser. I love MFL. Took me a year or so to get used to it but it does everything I want [with the exception I cant build a custom site on it yet]. Id assume any league would be on it these days really.

Obviously in agreement with future subs. Although I favour 50% of the season after's fee.

I like your points about rookie drafts but even if early picks are fools gold people dont think thats true - for me its too much of a crapshoot to have it as random [even if that randomness can be fun]. The other solution would be to include rookie draft position in the initial setup auction. That might be fun. If you dont buy any slot then you go into a random draw for remaining spots.

@TomDegenerate

bruiser
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby bruiser » Wed Nov 23, 2016 5:13 am

TomK27 wrote:The other solution would be to include rookie draft position in the initial setup auction. That might be fun. If you dont buy any slot then you go into a random draw for remaining spots.
That's not a bad idea. I wonder how many fools would buy a slot, lol. We assign a wage for each slot in the rookie draft, so essentially some owners would pay twice for rookies in that scenario. Cool idea.

bruiser
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby bruiser » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:11 am

How's this idea coming along? I've been crunching some numbers and found a sweet spot for awarding offensive line as a position. According to PFF, my formula is on par with their rankings. Here are the top ten MVPs in my demo. I used the DLF IDP Championship scoring and made a minor tweak for QB Hits (2pts). Without further adieu:

14.2 RB1
14.1 RB2
12.8 QB1
12.1 DE1
12.0 RB3
11.7 WR1
11.1 QB2
10.7 WR2
10.5 DT1
10.2 OL1

These top ten "players" are ordered by PPG over the baseline starter in this format (16-team). For example: RB1 and RB2 scored a bit more than 14 pts/game more than RB40 (replacement level). This model uses a 2yr moving average, so you can say DJ, Bell, or Zeke as whoever you want. DE1 is the 4th most valuable in the league (Watt '15, Mack '16). A pair of QBs in the top 10 is good to see. Everyone likes QB value, and some will sacrifice their morality by playing superflex to get it...

But, most importantly here, DT1 comes in at #9 and OL1 comes in at #10 most valuable. It's a work in progress because I'm not satisfied with my addition of the head coach's value. HC1 is currently #55 most valuable, and that's just not an accurate representation. Personally, I'd rather have Belichick than Brady. I'd love to have both or either, but if forced to choose which is more important to NE.... it's Belichick - hands down.

bruiser
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby bruiser » Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:20 am

Upon tweaking, I've come up with better values on the defense where:

14.2 RB1
14.1 RB2
13.4 DT1
13.2 DE1
12.8 QB1
12.0 RB3
11.7 WR1
11.1 QB2
10.7 WR2
10.3 DT2
10.2 OL1

#14 DE2
#15 DT3
#18 LB1
#21 HC1
#23 TE1
#24 S1
#25 LB2
#26 LB3
#27 DE3
#28 QB4
#30 OL3

dlf_tomk
Starter
Starter

Postby dlf_tomk » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:20 am

Thanks Bruiser - always great to get more input

Meeting a chum of mine in a lovely pub [The Harp on Chandos Place just off The Strand FYI] shortly to discuss this. I'll get back to you...

@TomDegenerate

dawgs4life
Captain
Captain

Postby dawgs4life » Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:40 pm

Tom, I play in a few large IDP salary cap and contract leagues on MFL. Here are a few to search and check out. They commis crew does an awesome job. All these leagues have slightly different rule sets. But all rules are listed on the site. Hit me up if u have any questions.

World Fantasy Football Challenge Devy League
Braggin Rights
UK GridIron
Patriots League