Budgeting advice

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
mroschew
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Budgeting advice

Postby mroschew » Sat Aug 27, 2016 12:58 pm

If my salary cap is $500, how much should I budget to spend on the initial draft?

In other words, how much should salary cap space would most people leave for waiver pick up and flexibility with trades, etc?

bruiser
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Re: Budgeting advice

Postby bruiser » Sun Aug 28, 2016 8:23 am

5%
Just a guy who loves fantasy football - specifically defense.

Goirish374
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Goirish374 » Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:36 am

to a some degree, this will depend on the rules of your league. factors that weigh into that include, but are not limited to:
-the minimum free agent signing amount for an in-season acquisition (is it big or small? is it guaranteed or pro rated per game?)
-hard or soft cap wrt acquisitions by trade and waiver assumption (can you acquire players by trade/waivers first and then arrange things to get back under a cap or must you already have space under the cap to fit any contract-bound acquisitions)

a quick review of my leagues shows a range of 3-12%

i would add, just as a thought, that it is preferable (to me, at least) to have the stud players and not be in contention for the hot waiver wire pick ups than be able to push the fat stack around the table for waiver wire adds but have missed out on the stud players during your auction.
Dynasty League Football Premium League Almanac:
2020 Champ: me again! (no, for reals!)
2019 Champ: me!
2018 Champ: Qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj
2017 Champ: Irishdoom
2016 Champ: DDT(wakelawyer)
2015 Champ: BigChiefBC

collbey
All Pro
All Pro

Postby collbey » Mon Aug 29, 2016 3:15 pm

I take it somewhat fluidly during the auction. I try to spend where I see value, in some years that means I end with very few waiver $$ and in other years a few more. Especially if you can trade for waiver $$ during the year, wouldn't get hung up about a set budget.

StormSurge
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby StormSurge » Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:07 am

Great question. My startup auction with $500 hard cap is just ending.

I had hoped to save about 5% but I ended up spending $498. :wtf:

I'm hoping to swing a trade to free up some cap space but if I have to roll with this, I'll be fine. (I'll free up about $10 once I move some rookies to the TS)

The Red Rooster
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby The Red Rooster » Sat Sep 03, 2016 6:06 pm

collbey wrote:I take it somewhat fluidly during the auction. I try to spend where I see value, in some years that means I end with very few waiver $$ and in other years a few more. Especially if you can trade for waiver $$ during the year, wouldn't get hung up about a set budget.
This. Win bids when it is great value.