Salaries for Dropped Players

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
StormSurge
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Salaries for Dropped Players

Postby StormSurge » Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:13 pm

I'm looking for some clarification on how to handle the salaries of dropped players.

In a league I used to commish, any player that was dropped was available to be claimed on waivers, without bidding, based on inverse order of standings. Their current salary/contract status stayed with the player. If no one claimed them that week, they would go back to the free agent pool and have to be bid on like other free agents.

Is this standard? I'm now running a start-up dynasty with a hard cap & I want to make sure I'm handling the salary of dropped players correctly.

Thanks!

Goirish374
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Re: Salaries for Dropped Players

Postby Goirish374 » Fri Aug 19, 2016 4:33 am

it's relatively standard to have a multi-phase system for players under contract who are dropped. a typical example, similar to what you've described, would look something like this:

>>>Player under contract is dropped.
>>>Player enters "waivers" where other teams can acquire him along with full transfer of existing contract for certain clearly specified amount of time. worst to first is not an uncommon approach for waiver priority.
>>>Player "clears waivers" and contract is expunged. The team that dropped him is now responsible for whatever the rules of the league indicate wrt guarantee, cap hit, etc.
>>>Player enters free agency and may be bid on or claimed depending on the normal rules of the league for free agents.
(>>>Some leagues have a further tier once the blind bidding period is passed that enables unclaimed free agents to be acquire first-come-first-served [FCFS].)

i would worry less about what is "standard" and set it up the way you want it to be run. the important things are that the time that a player spends on waivers and each phase of free agency be clearly spelled out, as well as the cost to the acquiring team (contract assumption in waivers, bid and tie breakers in free agency, or something like 1 yr league minimum if there is a FCFS period).
Dynasty League Football Premium League Almanac:
2020 Champ: me again! (no, for reals!)
2019 Champ: me!
2018 Champ: Qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj
2017 Champ: Irishdoom
2016 Champ: DDT(wakelawyer)
2015 Champ: BigChiefBC

StormSurge
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Re: Salaries for Dropped Players

Postby StormSurge » Fri Aug 19, 2016 5:36 am

Thank you, that sounds exactly like I had envisioned it.

Thanks!!