Adding A Salary Cap To An Existing League - Advice

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
ecossesteve
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Adding A Salary Cap To An Existing League - Advice

Postby ecossesteve » Fri May 27, 2016 12:57 am

Hi all,

I have recently started a new, 10 team league, 25 player squads on MFL which has had a rookie draft and then a start up draft.

We are new to dynasty, and only after the drafts did we discover salary caps and contracts.

As the draft has already taken place, I'm assuming I need to manually decide and input contract years and salaries. Is there a recommended formula for calculating this?

We don't want to blow up the league and start again.

Also, any advice on salary caps size, contract lengths, penalties for dropping players, franchise tags etc. would be appreciated.

If possible, we want to continue having a rookie draft every year based on final standings and then an auction for the free agents as in real life.

An additional question, does MFL recalculate salary caps etc. when trades are made and FAs picked up or does this need to be manually done by the commish (me)?

Any advice/pointers gratefully received.

Thanks

moishetreats
Legend
Legend

Re: Adding A Salary Cap To An Existing League - Advice

Postby moishetreats » Fri May 27, 2016 6:15 pm

I can think of one of three feasible options.

1. Find a website that ranks auction values and simply use those. Each owner may then assign each player a 1-5 year contract. There will DEFINITELY be buyers' remorse many a time, but that comes with the package.

2. Blow it up. Bottom line: guys would draft much differently if it's a dynasty or a dynasty cap league, no way around it.

3. Start a new league. :)

Good luck!
10 tms 27 plrs PPR
Start: 2QB 2RB 3WR 2TE 2Flex / best ball

QB: Herbert, Love, Rodgers, G Smith, Stidham, T Taylor, Hall
RB: McCaffrey, Mixon, Pacheco, Montgomery, Z White, Allgeier, Dillon
WR: Hill, St. Brown, Kupp, Allen, Lockett, B Johnson
TE: Kelce, Kmet, Kraft, Okonkwo, Dulcich, Tremble

2024: 2.09, 3.07, 3.08, 3.10, 4.08
2025: 2nd (x2), 4th, 5th (x2)
2026: 1st, 2nd (x2), 3rd, 4th, 5th

12 tms 22 active plyrs. Salary Cap $300 PPR
Start: 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1SF 1Flex / best ball

QB: Lawrence (contract through 2026), Love ('24), Rodgers ('24), Stidham ('25), Lock ('25)
RB: Bijan Robinson ('25), Pollard ('27), Dillon ('24), Rodriguez ('24), Spiller ('24)
WR: G Wilson ('26), AJ Brown ('26), DJ Montgomery ('25)
TE: --
2024 Cap Spent: $186

IR: --
TAXI SQUAD (4 max): --

ecossesteve
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby ecossesteve » Sun May 29, 2016 3:10 pm

Thanks for the advice.

Option one is definitely the preferred one. Is there anywhere in particular you would search for auction values? Can't seem to find them with much ease. Is there a formula you would use to calculate them too?

The most rational method I've seen so far is to take redraft league values, then replace the name with a dynasty rank; WR 1, QB 1 etc.

Also, what would be a reasonable percentage to set the salary cap at above the highest salary total? Eg. if the most valuable team totals $318. would $350 be a reasonable cap?

Thanks for the advice to this point, appreciated.

moishetreats
Legend
Legend

Postby moishetreats » Mon May 30, 2016 1:15 pm

Great questions. I would start by using this webpage: https://www.fantasypros.com/nfl/auction ... ulator.php

From there, I would then plug it in for all the rosters. As for the questions of what to do with teams over cap, I would wait until the numbers are plugged in to decide. One option is giving every team, say, 2-3 years to get within the cap. Another option would be to allow teams to make penalty-free transactions, with all free agents being $1. Again, I would let the state of teams dictate that.
10 tms 27 plrs PPR
Start: 2QB 2RB 3WR 2TE 2Flex / best ball

QB: Herbert, Love, Rodgers, G Smith, Stidham, T Taylor, Hall
RB: McCaffrey, Mixon, Pacheco, Montgomery, Z White, Allgeier, Dillon
WR: Hill, St. Brown, Kupp, Allen, Lockett, B Johnson
TE: Kelce, Kmet, Kraft, Okonkwo, Dulcich, Tremble

2024: 2.09, 3.07, 3.08, 3.10, 4.08
2025: 2nd (x2), 4th, 5th (x2)
2026: 1st, 2nd (x2), 3rd, 4th, 5th

12 tms 22 active plyrs. Salary Cap $300 PPR
Start: 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1SF 1Flex / best ball

QB: Lawrence (contract through 2026), Love ('24), Rodgers ('24), Stidham ('25), Lock ('25)
RB: Bijan Robinson ('25), Pollard ('27), Dillon ('24), Rodriguez ('24), Spiller ('24)
WR: G Wilson ('26), AJ Brown ('26), DJ Montgomery ('25)
TE: --
2024 Cap Spent: $186

IR: --
TAXI SQUAD (4 max): --

ecossesteve
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby ecossesteve » Mon May 30, 2016 1:59 pm

I used the Fantasy Pros website and redraft figures based on a $300 dollar cap, then I used a dynasty ADP ranking and calculated player values.

The highest team came out at $443 so I could make the cap $500?

I would then give all the teams a week or so to chop and change rosters to suit their needs, then contracts (between 1-5yrs and 60yrs in total for a 25 man roster) would be assigned and penalties come into play.

Do you think this system sounds fair?

ecossesteve
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby ecossesteve » Tue May 31, 2016 9:16 am

Another quick note, cap penalties.

If making these 25% per year of contract and Elliott was signed to a 3yr $60 contract and was cut after one year, would the cap hit be $30 immediately, $15 for each year?

Thanks

dlf_tomk
Starter
Starter

Postby dlf_tomk » Thu Jun 09, 2016 1:20 am

ecossesteve wrote:I used the Fantasy Pros website and redraft figures based on a $300 dollar cap, then I used a dynasty ADP ranking and calculated player values.

The highest team came out at $443 so I could make the cap $500?

I would then give all the teams a week or so to chop and change rosters to suit their needs, then contracts (between 1-5yrs and 60yrs in total for a 25 man roster) would be assigned and penalties come into play.

Do you think this system sounds fair?
This doesn't sound at all fair to me. The guy who drafted the team with the highest salaries did the best job on an even playing field. And now he gets the worst salary situation because you've changed the rules? That sounds harsh. From a league PoV it makes sense of course but this is a very unusual situation. Coming to this late it really seems like drafting again seems the best way to do it to me. :(
IDP guy from England. Bashes out articles with dodgy graphs

@TomDegenerate