Retirement in salary cap league

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
sportstrucker
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Retirement in salary cap league

Postby sportstrucker » Thu Mar 10, 2016 4:21 am

Would like to know how others handle this. In 3 of my salary cap leagues we have a rule that states when a player officially retires not just announces retirement he can be dropped and cap penalty removed. Team must post a link showing official retirement to get penalty removed.

Good rule however where do you find official retirement?

I look I find announcement. I ask I'm told official when placed on reserve/retirement( see Payton and Johnson). But what about the others well some have their contract terminated and some are FA. So how do you know when official.

How is this done in your salary cap league?
Braggin Rights - Matt Ryan, Mike Glennon, Geno Smith,Derek Carr, Jamaal Charles, Roy Helu, Latavius Murray, Jerick McKinnon, Mike Evans, AJ Green, Julio Jones, Jarvis Landry, Vincent Jackson, Marquise Lee, Brandon Marshall, Kendall Wright, Charles Clay, Austin Serferian-Jenkins, Gronk, Sen'Derrick Marks, Dontari Poe, Calais Campbell, Will Sutton, Mohammed Wilkerson, Anthony Barr, Demorio Davis, Justin Houston, Mychal Kendricks, Deandre Levy, Curtis Lofton, Sio Moore, Paul Posluszny, Paul Worrilow, Cortez Allen, AJ Bouye, Kyle Fuller, Captain Munnerlyn, Michael Griffin, Tyrann Mathieu
Taxi- Bryce Petty, David Johnson, JJ Nelson, Jalen Strong, Damarious Randall, Ibraheim Cambell
Start- 1-QB 10-WR/RB/TE 1-DT 2-DE 4-LB 2-CB 2-S

dlf_tomk
Starter
Starter

Re: Retirement in salary cap league

Postby dlf_tomk » Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:26 am

This is the section from our rulebook:

12) RETIREMENTS AND PLAYER DEATH

a) When a player retires from the NFL, the team owner can drop the player from the roster without penalty.

b) If that player later announces a return to the NFL, that team has retained his rights

c) The team owner must decide within 1 week of the player becoming un-retired whether to acquire the player again for the same contract terms as the player had prior to retiring, or relinquish his rights to the player.

d) It is each team owner's individual responsibility to monitor their own retired players, and to notify the commissioner if they wish to reinstate any players in this scenario.

e) Once the 1 week period expires, the un-retired player is considered a free agent and may be acquired by another team as per the usual free agency processes.

f) If a player passes away whilst under contract, this player will be dropped from their contract without salary cap penalty.
IDP guy from England. Bashes out articles with dodgy graphs

@TomDegenerate

Justice024
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby Justice024 » Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:52 am

In the league I'm in we have the "Brett Farve" rule and the "Ricky Williams" rule. If the player retires and announces it or the team announces it then they are retired. We don't have to find proof from the NFL as long as there are credible news stories on it. Once retired they are removed from the team contract and all. If they come back then they are a FA. I suppose if an owner wanted to keep the players contract after announcing retirement if they thought they would come back. That hasn't happened before.
10 Team League, Salary Cap $500; Entering 3rd season PPR-.5PPC
Start- 2QB/3RB/4WR/2TE/1Flex/2K/2DEF/2IDP
My team: (contract details) [Cost if contracted, minimum length shown]
Contracted:
QB: Teddy Bridgewater ($7,8,9) Derek Carr (4,5,6) Drew Brees (68)
RB: Jamaal Charles (71) Carlos Hyde (25)
WR: Julio Jones (73) Allen Robinson (3,4) Mike Evans (20,22,24) Davante Adams (3,4)
TE: Tyler Eifert (3,4,5) Zach Ertz (22)
Remaining Roster:
RB: James White [45,48] Charchandrick West [35,37] Jeremy Hill [55,58]
T.J. Yeldon [45,48] Ronnie Hillman [2,3] DeAngelo Williams [37,39]
WR: Kevin White [2,3] Tyler Lockett [23,25] DeVante Parker [8,9] Breshad Perriman [2,3] Terrance Williams [6,7]
TE: Austin Serifan Jenkins[26,28] Ladarius Green[2,3]
K: Mason Crosby [13,14] Dustin Hopkins [2,3] Josh Lambo [2,3]
DEF: Miami[45,48] Houston[17,19] Tennessee[2,3]
IDP: James Laurinitis [2,3] LaVante David [8,9]

moishetreats
Legend
Legend

Postby moishetreats » Mon Mar 14, 2016 6:14 pm

In my league, there are no special considerations for a retired/retiring player. But, there is a provision that, each year, one player may be cut for half his penalty.
10 tms 27 plrs PPR
Start: 2QB 2RB 3WR 2TE 2Flex / best ball

QB: Herbert, Love, Rodgers, G Smith, Stidham, T Taylor, Hall
RB: McCaffrey, Mixon, Pacheco, Montgomery, Z White, Allgeier, Dillon
WR: Hill, St. Brown, Kupp, Allen, Lockett, B Johnson
TE: Kelce, Kmet, Kraft, Okonkwo, Dulcich, Tremble

2024: 2.09, 3.07, 3.08, 3.10, 4.08
2025: 2nd (x2), 4th, 5th (x2)
2026: 1st, 2nd (x2), 3rd, 4th, 5th

12 tms 22 active plyrs. Salary Cap $300 PPR
Start: 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1SF 1Flex / best ball

QB: Lawrence (contract through 2026), Love ('24), Rodgers ('24), Stidham ('25), Lock ('25)
RB: Bijan Robinson ('25), Pollard ('27), Dillon ('24), Rodriguez ('24), Spiller ('24)
WR: G Wilson ('26), AJ Brown ('26), DJ Montgomery ('25)
TE: --
2024 Cap Spent: $186

IR: --
TAXI SQUAD (4 max): --

buck6380
Starter
Starter

Postby buck6380 » Sun Mar 27, 2016 6:30 am

The league I am in allows a retired player to be cut in the offseason for no penalty, if it's during the season you would have to pay a 25 percent cap hit
12 team, dynasty non ppr SC/ Contract league 275 cap, 50 contract yrs
QB's Bortles $7/4, Palmer $16/1
RB's Miller $21/2, Matt Jones $1/2, Howard $3/2,Sims $6/2
WR's Julio. Jones 38/1,Allen Robinson $21/5,Cooper $17/5, Moncrief $9/3, Shepard $15/4
TE's Kelce $8/3, Tamme $1/1
K Boswell
D
IDP Kuechly $1/1, L.David $6/2, T. Smith $1/2
Taxi-K Dixon $9/3, Dewayne Washigton $10, J. Williams

jay$$
Rookie
Rookie

Postby jay$$ » Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:24 am

In all of the salary cap leagues I am in once it is announced that a player is retiring you can drop him for no penalty
Commissioner

Signing Day FFL Superflex IDP Dev league
NCAAFFL- Dev league
NCAAFFL 2 - IDP dev league
Recruiting Wars - Superflex Dev league
Home of The Brave - IDP dev league
Adult Beversge 2.0 - Salary cap, superflex, IDP league

InvestLikeKB
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby InvestLikeKB » Mon Apr 04, 2016 5:07 pm

I was the recent owner of both Lynch and Manning this past year. I was able to use my league's retirement rule (based on how many yrs remaining on each salaries) to drop them. Basically anything that signals a player's retirement works for us. So for Manning his press conference and for Lynch I actually used his tweet. So really any public announcement should suffice. It's probably not a bad thing to have multiple sources confirm. Like an agent or the team thanking him in some way through social media which was the case for Lynch as well.

Goirish374
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Goirish374 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 3:03 am

well, this is interesting. i didn't expect to have anything different to add but it looks like what we do hasn't been mentioned yet.

in both of my RSO leagues:

all contracts are equally binding and subject to the same rules and penalties for release.

there are explicitly no special clauses for retirement, death, suspension, banning, failed reinstatement, firecracker injury recovery, or anything else.

you'd better think long and hard before giving peyton that multiyear deal in the 2015 offseason. we feel the frustration experienced by ray rice, ap, gordon and blackmon owners is justified by the gravity it lends the decision to offer older but productive players. its one of my favorite factors in our live free agency auction each offseason (disclosure: i just ate the 4th year of calvin's four year mega dea).

no special clauses means no enforcement, no worrying about whether someone officially retired or not, or whether retirement is the same as a Rice situation vs an AP situation. there are no judgment calls and therefore no opportunity for bias or hurt feelings. everyone knows that if you win that auction contract, yay!...but also you're stuck with it if something goes south.
Dynasty League Football Premium League Almanac:
2020 Champ: me again! (no, for reals!)
2019 Champ: me!
2018 Champ: Qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj
2017 Champ: Irishdoom
2016 Champ: DDT(wakelawyer)
2015 Champ: BigChiefBC