Anyone have good set of rules?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
HailState89
Role Player
Role Player

Anyone have good set of rules?

Postby HailState89 » Sun Dec 20, 2015 3:19 pm

Making a new league and looking for some salary cap league rules. A couple of things looking for:

a) Assigning contract years & good balance of years/# of players
b) good way to deal with 1st year rookie draft (include in normal draft or not)
c) Good cap penalty for cutting players w/ contracts

Thanks

bruiser
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Re: Anyone have good set of rules?

Postby bruiser » Fri Dec 25, 2015 11:52 am

A) A salary cap league should not need a cap on the total # of years. The salary aspect of this format forces enough decisions about roster construction, that capping contract years becomes an excessive measure. Assigning a max contract length of 3-5yrs is normal.
B) I used the Kentucky Derby to slot our first rookie draft. We drafted rookies before the startup auction. You will get at least one or two owners that are adamant that they know best and beg you to include rookies in the auction. If you are using rookie contracts/wages, just keep the rookie draft separate. ***A little-known secret: rookie draft order has no impact on the final standings. Good owners always end up on top regardless of their rookie draft position.
C) Cap penalties should be easy to calculate/automate whatever you decide to do. Do not create a system that you have to track by hand. I had a commish burn out on us because he wouldn't simplify his job and maximize the software. Tracking the franchise salary cap by using googledocs sounds like fun, but it will wear on you and eventually you will fall behind. Let the software do the heavy-lifting.

Releasing Players
All contracts are 40% guaranteed. Releasing a player incurs a 40% cap charge for the current season and 40% for each remaining year of a contract (calculated using original salary). The dead cap for future seasons will be applied as a lump sum toward the season. For this purpose, February 1st will be the start and end to each fiscal year. For example: cutting Andrew Luck in 2016 with a 2yr/$20M contract will be charged 40% in 2016 ($8M) and 40%(x1) in 2017 ($8M). To give owners relief from injuries during the preseason, releasing recently-signed players before final roster cut-down (September 1st) will only be charged 40% to the current season. A recently-signed player’s salary only becomes 40% guaranteed for future seasons if he makes the final roster on Sep 1st.

For a look at the complete set of bylaws, see the MANIFESTO tab in the DLA league in my sig.
Just a guy who loves fantasy football - specifically defense.

dlf_tomk
Starter
Starter

Postby dlf_tomk » Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:36 am

a) Assigning contract years & good balance of years/# of players

In our league we have no contract years - just 20% wage inflation YoY. You can hold on to anyone you want for as long as you want them - but it causes big problems elsewhere on the roster eventually. Think Detroit over the last few years or NO with Brees' contract.

Keep them seperate. That way you get twice the fun of drafting. And as you're setting up rosters for the long term having imbalance brought on from different players assessment of rookie vs veteran value could be an issue for years.

c) Good cap penalty for cutting players w/ contracts

Bruiser had a god response above. I see nothing to disagree with. But the alternative is of course no contract years - just inflation.
It boils down to where you want the activity in the league. If you want moves to be centred in the offseason then have a high cap penalty. If you want active waivers and trading then make it a low penalty
IDP guy from England. Bashes out articles with dodgy graphs

@TomDegenerate

UnsafeAtAnySpd
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby UnsafeAtAnySpd » Thu Dec 31, 2015 12:19 pm

Feel free to take a look at mine here http://football29.myfantasyleague.com/2 ... 52450&O=26

Probably a couple of changes to make this off-season after the first year, but nothing off the top of my head in regards to cap stuff. This league does have some pretty ridiculous (imo) contracts for some players, but I think it will normalize over a couple years.

dawgs4life
Captain
Captain

Postby dawgs4life » Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:40 pm

[quote="TomK27"]

Keep them seperate. That way you get twice the fun of drafting. And as you're setting up rosters for the long term having imbalance brought on from different players assessment of rookie vs veteran value could be an issue for years.

(I agree, I did a league that combine them in the initial auction draft and salaries got way out of control for rookies)

Search MFL for these 2 leagues......really good set ups .....go to by laws tab.
World Fantasy Football Challenge Devy League
Braggin Rights Salary Cap Dynasty.
I only play in 16x53 with 10+ taxi size leagues with full IDP. All are PPR and most value return yardage. So my opinions may be skewed To these deep roster leagues.

Dynasty Fantasy is not a game, it’s a full time hobby.

theone
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby theone » Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:39 am

We put the top 12 rookies listed in the DLF rankings in the auction startup and randomly assigned the snake rookie draft. It was a nice balance that eliminates the issues of teams randomly obtaining the top rookies, whose value is so much higher than later picks. The fun of the rookie draft was still there and the random assignment of draft order is not as much of an issue as values between players are closer the deeper you go.