Upcoming Rookie and Auction draft

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Cowboysfan33
Legend
Legend

Upcoming Rookie and Auction draft

Postby Cowboysfan33 » Sun Jul 26, 2015 5:59 pm

I have two upcoming drafts in a league on Reality Sports Online. I have a pretty good amount of knowledge on dynasty rankings and values but I've never been in an auction draft. In this league that I'm in, we have a 4 round rookie draft and rookies contracts are for 4 years. We have two 4 year contracts besides the rookies, four 3 year contracts and six 2 year contracts, 24 man rosters + 2 injured reserve and a salary cap of $143,280 million and franchise tags. Are there any general rules on whom to give the longer contracts too, it's seems like you would give WRs longer deals because they generally have longer shelf lives or does it just depend on the league? I'm just trying to get a better idea, any help or advice would be great, thanks. It's a 1/2 point PPR league start 1QB 2RBs 3WRs 1TE 1Flex(RB, WR,TE) 1K 1D/ST.
12 TEAM PPR 1QB 1/3RB 1/3WR 1TE 2FLEX 1D 1K

Team 1: 8-5-2019 Champs 8-5-2020 Champs 11-3-2021 Champs
QBs: D.Carr, C.Wentz
RBs: J.Taylor, A.Jones, J.Mixon, B.Robinson
WRs: T.Hill, C.Lamb, C.Godwin, K.Allen, J.Jones, K.Golladay
TEs: T.Kelce, P.Freiermuth

DLF Series SF TE Premium
2020: 10-3-Championship 2021: 12-2-Runner Up
QBs: J.Allen, Winston, Trubisky
RBs: Ekeler, J.Williams, M.Gordon, J.Jacobs, I.Spiller
WRs: C.Kupp, T.Hill, C.Lamb, C.Godwin, D.Mooney, N.Collins, M.Hardman
TEs: D.Waller, D.Schultz, Albert O

DLF Series SF TE Premium
2020: 9-4

QBs: Mahomes, J.Allen, J.Love, Trubisky
RBs: A.Jones, M.Gordon, McKissic, K.Vaughn, B.Snell
WRs: J.Jefferson, T.McLaurin, K.Golladay, M.Pittman,T.Patrick
TEs: M.Andrews,D.Schultz

2019: 9 championships
2020: 7 championships-including 2 DLF Series Championships
2021: 9 championships-including 3 DLF Series Championships

thaniz
Role Player
Role Player

Re: Upcoming Rookie and Auction draft

Postby thaniz » Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:38 am

I tend to give longer contracts to cheaper players. If they hit you get really good value.
Huge contracts I like to keep at 1-2 years.
The Lost Boys Dynasty League - https://www59.myfantasyleague.com/2021/home/25061#0
QB: Jackson, Herbert, Cousins, Newton
RB: Cook, Howard, Michel, McKissic, Hyde, Mack, Mattsson, Mostert
WR: Julio, D. Johnson, Cooks, Hardman, Cobb, M.Jones, Hamler, Hilton, Bourne, Harris, Pringle, Toney, Washington, M.Johnson
TE: Kelce, Cook,

Cowboysfan33
Legend
Legend

Postby Cowboysfan33 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:31 pm

thaniz wrote:I tend to give longer contracts to cheaper players. If they hit you get really good value.
Huge contracts I like to keep at 1-2 years.
Ok, thanks. I'm excited about this upcoming draft but I'm so inexperienced at the auction/salary cap leagues that I'm trying to learn as much as possible in a short amount of time.

DLF Series SF TE Premium

DLF Series SF TE Premium

Capitalist Pig
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Capitalist Pig » Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:58 am

I'm in two RSO leagues, my strategy would be to use the 2 yr deals on RBs because of the high turnover and invest the 4yr and 3yr contracts in the positions with less flux, i.e. QB/WR/TE. Keep the 4 yr deals away from guys on the perceived back end of their careers (Peyton, AP, Forte, etc) where you could end up eating a lot of penalties in the future. If you DO feel the need to invest a 3 yr deal in a RB it would have to be Bell or Lacy.
Eat more BACON. You won't be sorry.

hankscorpio
Role Player
Role Player

Postby hankscorpio » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:47 am

The complicated answer is it's a combination of factors:

Cheaper = Tend to give longer deals
Younger = Tend to give longer deals
WR/QB = Tend to give longer deals
Best "value" (got him for 75% of my cheat sheet price vs. went close to my maximum price for that player) = Tend to give longer deals

But personally, the most important one for me is cheap players. Low risk/high reward plays. Even Bell or Lacy... they seem like locks for 3 years of great production, but you just paid top 5 RB prices for them. The best case scenario you're hoping for is that they hold value. Remember that if you give them a 1 year deal, it's very likely that you can re-sign them (and have the option of grabbing a different RB in the same tier) next offseason for roughly the same amount.

You'd be shocked what just 1 or 2 near-minimum salaries for guys that turn into WR1's or RB1's does to the landscape of your team.
12 teams, 20 roster spots, hard salary cap $225, 40% drop penalty, max contract 3 yrs (4 yrs for rookies), unlimited total yrs
Start: 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 Flex, DEF, K; PPR, 6 pts/TD pass
QB: Cam ($29/2015); Wilson ($5/2016)
RB: Gurley ($12/2018), McFadden ($4/2015); C. West ($11/2015), Spiller ($26/2016), Abdullah ($6/2018), Mason ($6/2016)
WR: Demaryius ($64/2015), Decker ($9/2017), DeSean ($22/2015), DGB ($1/2018), M.Jones ($2/2016); Allen ($1/2016)
TE: Walker ($1/2015), Bennett ($11/2017)
2016: 2 1sts

12 teams, 20 roster spots, Start: 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 2 Flex, DEF, K; PPR, 4 pts/TD pass
QB: Wilson, Brees
RB: Forte, Ellington, C. Johnson, J. Allen, Michael, Starks,
WR: Mega, Allen, J.Matthews, Boldin, Stills, Britt
TE: Gronk, Witten
2016: 2 1sts

Cowboysfan33
Legend
Legend

Postby Cowboysfan33 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:18 pm

Chapelboy wrote:I'm in two RSO leagues, my strategy would be to use the 2 yr deals on RBs because of the high turnover and invest the 4yr and 3yr contracts in the positions with less flux, i.e. QB/WR/TE. Keep the 4 yr deals away from guys on the perceived back end of their careers (Peyton, AP, Forte, etc) where you could end up eating a lot of penalties in the future. If you DO feel the need to invest a 3 yr deal in a RB it would have to be Bell or Lacy.
Thanks, good advice, I'm just soaking it all in.

DLF Series SF TE Premium

DLF Series SF TE Premium

Cowboysfan33
Legend
Legend

Postby Cowboysfan33 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:26 pm

hankscorpio wrote:The complicated answer is it's a combination of factors:

Cheaper = Tend to give longer deals
Younger = Tend to give longer deals
WR/QB = Tend to give longer deals
Best "value" (got him for 75% of my cheat sheet price vs. went close to my maximum price for that player) = Tend to give longer deals

But personally, the most important one for me is cheap players. Low risk/high reward plays. Even Bell or Lacy... they seem like locks for 3 years of great production, but you just paid top 5 RB prices for them. The best case scenario you're hoping for is that they hold value. Remember that if you give them a 1 year deal, it's very likely that you can re-sign them (and have the option of grabbing a different RB in the same tier) next offseason for roughly the same amount.

You'd be shocked what just 1 or 2 near-minimum salaries for guys that turn into WR1's or RB1's does to the landscape of your team.
Thanks, good advice. Do you come up with your own cheatsheet or is there somewhere that I can get one? I know who I'm high on and kind of have a good idea what positions to spend certain amounts on but is there somewhere else to find some of this?

DLF Series SF TE Premium

DLF Series SF TE Premium

matrixinla
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby matrixinla » Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:40 pm

Don't forget to leave cap space for after the auction for free agent pick ups and trades so you can take advantage of other owners cap mismanagement. Avoid bidding wars by knowing how much you would spend per roster spot as well as per player. Don't chase a specific player, but tiers of players that make good deals according to your budget. I create an excel file listing all the positions and how many players I think I will need in each position including starters and bench players, then how much I want to spend on each position (ex. 40% of total cap on WR), then how much I want to spend on my starter (80% of WR budget on the 2 starters) and backup (20% of the WR budget on 3 backups) at that position. This gives me a budget per position. Then I create my rankings list per position and rank the players in tier groups. As the auction goes on I compare both lists to see how much I want to spend on a player based on how many players left in that ranking tier. You have to be patient and find the best value for the player not the best player in general. If you want Andrew Luck you can get him but you'll end up with lessor players at other positions.

But nothing ever goes as planned so you have to adjust. Knowing you went over on budget in one area means you need to go under in other areas. Let the other owners make the costly mistake then take advantage of their situation with the remanding cap space you will have because you budgeted and bid within your budget. Owners get desperate when they use up all their cap space and the bye weeks start.

When you nominate, try to pick a player you think is over valued or the last good player in a top tier that will start a bidding war to deplete others bankroll.

Cowboysfan33
Legend
Legend

Postby Cowboysfan33 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:34 am

matrixinla wrote:Don't forget to leave cap space for after the auction for free agent pick ups and trades so you can take advantage of other owners cap mismanagement. Avoid bidding wars by knowing how much you would spend per roster spot as well as per player. Don't chase a specific player, but tiers of players that make good deals according to your budget. I create an excel file listing all the positions and how many players I think I will need in each position including starters and bench players, then how much I want to spend on each position (ex. 40% of total cap on WR), then how much I want to spend on my starter (80% of WR budget on the 2 starters) and backup (20% of the WR budget on 3 backups) at that position. This gives me a budget per position. Then I create my rankings list per position and rank the players in tier groups. As the auction goes on I compare both lists to see how much I want to spend on a player based on how many players left in that ranking tier. You have to be patient and find the best value for the player not the best player in general. If you want Andrew Luck you can get him but you'll end up with lessor players at other positions.

But nothing ever goes as planned so you have to adjust. Knowing you went over on budget in one area means you need to go under in other areas. Let the other owners make the costly mistake then take advantage of their situation with the remanding cap space you will have because you budgeted and bid within your budget. Owners get desperate when they use up all their cap space and the bye weeks start.

When you nominate, try to pick a player you think is over valued or the last good player in a top tier that will start a bidding war to deplete others bankroll.
Ok, thanks for the advice. So basically, I should nominate players that I don't really want and overall, try to stay out of bidding wars? How much would you save out of the $143 million if it were your team?

DLF Series SF TE Premium

DLF Series SF TE Premium

matrixinla
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby matrixinla » Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:11 am

I am budgeting for 10% left over in RSO. It's a new league like you with people new to the format so I am banking on many of them learning by mistake I can capitalize on. Also know your scoring and how it may benefit one position tier over another. I am doing IDP which is new for me. We have weighted scoring per position for receptions and tackles on defense.

In the auction try to hold back the 4yr contracts until later in the draft when others are low on funds and you get a great value deal then lock it in long term. Don't get concerned if you sign alot of 1yr deals, you get more long term deals the next year. Short contracts are better for aged vets and players you know are already at their ceiling.

And come back to share your draft results. Mine is August 8th

Cowboysfan33
Legend
Legend

Postby Cowboysfan33 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:00 am

matrixinla wrote:I am budgeting for 10% left over in RSO. It's a new league like you with people new to the format so I am banking on many of them learning by mistake I can capitalize on. Also know your scoring and how it may benefit one position tier over another. I am doing IDP which is new for me. We have weighted scoring per position for receptions and tackles on defense.

In the auction try to hold back the 4yr contracts until later in the draft when others are low on funds and you get a great value deal then lock it in long term. Don't get concerned if you sign alot of 1yr deals, you get more long term deals the next year. Short contracts are better for aged vets and players you know are already at their ceiling.

Ok, thanks. Our 4 round rookie draft is August 9th and my free agent auction is August 16th. I can't wait and our league is non IDP but it's half point PPR, 12 teams start 1QB 2RBs 3WRs 1 Flex 1TE 1K 1D/ST. I'll post the results afterwards.

DLF Series SF TE Premium

DLF Series SF TE Premium

matrixinla
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby matrixinla » Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:39 am

I have been thinking about a strategic way to use the IR rules to my advantage since the player doesn't have to be injured to go on IR. If I am deep at one position and a rookie with low salary gets the start over the more expensive vet I may put the vet on IR to free up cap space.

I too, am really looking forward to this new format. I don't think I can go back to simple redraft anymore...lol

Cowboysfan33
Legend
Legend

Postby Cowboysfan33 » Sat Aug 08, 2015 7:16 am

matrixinla wrote:I am budgeting for 10% left over in RSO. It's a new league like you with people new to the format so I am banking on many of them learning by mistake I can capitalize on. Also know your scoring and how it may benefit one position tier over another. I am doing IDP which is new for me. We have weighted scoring per position for receptions and tackles on defense.

I recently had my RSO rookie draft. It was a 4 round rookie draft each with 4 year contracts. I drafted Nelson Agholor, Maxx Williams, Chris Conley and Kenny Hilliard. I know my first two picks aren't "flashy" but I think they can play alot pretty much from the start and be solid NFL players. I really like Conley's size and talent but don't like where he landed but if KC can get a stronger armed QB soon maybe he would fit in well. Hilliard was just a shot in the dark with Arian Fosters injury.

DLF Series SF TE Premium