So what made you a fan of your team?

Discuss free agency, trade rumors, games, and everything else concerning the NFL HERE!
Dookmarriot
MVP
MVP

So what made you a fan of your team?

Postby Dookmarriot » Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:18 am

Easy question. Did you inherit your fandom from your Dad? Was your team a championship contender when you were a kid? Something else?

I live in Canada, so there's no natural NFL rooting interest. But when I was a kid, those great NFL Films shows filled up Sunday mornings. And hearing John Facenda intoning about "The Autumn Wind" and "The NFL's home for Lost Souls and Misfits" made me a Raider fan out of the gate. The mystique of the team was irresistable.

40 some-odd years later, I'm still a big fan of the Silver and Black. Yeah, it's a Commitment To Mediocrity these days, but I wouldn't dream of cheering for another team.

So what about you?
"I like reading the predictions of the morons on here and cashing in by doing the opposite. Especially Dookmariot." - Lotto4Life

"Because of (the Raiders), there's the no-clothesline rule, the no-hitting-out-of-bounds rule, the no-fumbling-forward-in-the-last-two-minutes rule, the no-throwing-helmets rule and the no-Stickum rule. So you see, we're not all bad." - Ted "The Mad Stork" Hendricks

bruiser
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Re: So what made you a fan of your team?

Postby bruiser » Sun Mar 22, 2015 7:28 am

Good thread. As a kid in Chicagoland, the Super Bowl Shuffle dominated the culture. As many Bears fans were born, Virginia Halas purged the team of cheerleaders and any future hope. As a non-fan of the Lovable Losers (Cubs) I am very shaky in my allegiance to the sister franchise. Many of us in Chicago are still hopeful of a return of the Chicago Cardinals from the desert. :vsad:
Just a guy who loves fantasy football - specifically defense.

Coogan Football
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Coogan Football » Sun Mar 22, 2015 4:44 pm

My uncles best friend played for the Saints for a few years before he retired. His name is Darren Perry, he was a FS #39, he's now the DB coach for the Packers. He got us tickets and met up with him and his family after the game and his wife made every single player and coach sign something for us or take a picture before they left the Saints parking garage. That was back in 1997? New Orleans is also our market team in the Florida panhandle so that helped too, they always use to do marketing stuff over here with players and coaches at malls and schools
12 team 6pts all TDs/.5ppr/SFlex/ balanced IDP, scoring est. 2008
Start QB,SF,2RB,3WR,TE,2Flex,3DL,3LB,3DB,2DFlex
3x Champion 2015, 2016, 2017
QB: Brees, Luck, Prescott, McCarron, C.Kelly, Peterman
RB: Elliott, Gurley, Hunt, Kamara, Gordon, Howard, McCaffrey, J.Williams,
WR: Julio, Hopkins, M.Thomas, TY, Watkins, Kupp, C.Davis, Thomas (LA), Carroo, Switzer, Tr. Taylor
TE: Olsen, Engram, Howard, Fleener, Swoope
DL: Watt, Mack, C.Jordan, Bosa, D.Hunter, Clowney, Armstead
LB: Kuechly, Ogletree, Mosley, McKinney, R.Foster, Bucannon, Z.Cunningham, Anzalone, ShaqT,
, Goodson, Pullard,
DB: H.Smith, Vaccaro, B.Jones, Neal, Adoree, K.Joseph, Geathers, M.Maye, J.Jones, D Thompson

Don't be the guy that asks for advice without giving some out yourself
#WhoDat

clarion contrarion
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby clarion contrarion » Sat Apr 04, 2015 1:15 pm

the immaculate reception , I was already drawn to the steelers as a little kid and then that locked it in , they started winning super bowls shortly after done deal forever . All my fellow hoosiers want to know why I don't like the colts - that is why 40 plus years and counting and I won't stop rooting for the steelers until they fire up the incinerator whenever the becomes my fate.SIXBURGH FOREVER!
.....this has been a public service announcement from forum superstar clarion contrarion
QB luck- driskell
WR ant brown evans c davis golladay godwin gordon j washington doctson watson lazard patrick henderson
RB mixon cohen chubb aaron jones hunt malcolm brown
TE eifert howard njoku
K tucker DEF pittsburgh chicago
2012 , 2014 2015 2016 2017 & 2018 ACDL Champion 5 IN A ROW 6 in 7 years- now that is dynasty!
2013 ACDL runner up
2013 2014 2017 & 2018 (Undefeated 15-0 ) WORILDS OF HURT CHAMPION
2010 2014 & 2015 7 Rings for Steeltown CHAMPION 2011 & 2013 7 rings runner up
2018 Experts Dynasty League Champion
there is no after football
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
— Leonardo da Vinci

knotts4372
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby knotts4372 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:29 pm

mine is so stupid lol but yeah um i started watching football in the late 80's and my last name is young so i just loved the 49ers and steve young. fave player ever.
DLF hall of famers 16 teams 25 man roster
http://football29.myfantasyleague.com/2 ... =07&F=0016

IRONCLAD 16 teams 40 man rosters http://www.fleaflicker.com/nfl/leagues/133985/teams/

@donnynutz on twitter

JasonNorin
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby JasonNorin » Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:49 pm

My father and his brothers became my main influencers in becoming a Chicago Bears fan. Him and his brothers are always bringing back the time when the Bears won against the Patriots on a 46-10 victory back in 1985 Super Bowl XX. The bears had it all with hall of famers Richard Dent, Mike Singletary and Walter Payton on their roster. Due to my father's influence, I have always been stuck to the idea that the said team will always be my favorite. haha!
Part time sports news contributor, football odds setter and boxing analyst.

wreckeray1
Rookie
Rookie

Postby wreckeray1 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:48 pm

1st nfl game I remember watching; 8 yrs old, super bowl 6 dallas vs Miami. started hating dallas lol and lovin the DOLPHINS although I live 3hrs east of dallas, although at 8 yrs old didn't know that,and Miami won next 2. Still waiting for that next one lol; hopefully ill see it in my lifetime.
p.s. still hate the cowgirls lol; although i loved me some Emmith Smith in mid 90's in redrafts and Dez today in dynasty.
2013 and 2015 champ
10team dynasty .5ppr 1qb 2rb 2wr 1flex 1te 1k 1def
qb Luck, Tannehill a. smith
rb Charles Gurley Martin Ameer Du. Johnson Riddick Ware
wr D.Thomas Dez Evans Marshall Micheal Flloyd Treadwell Coleman Carroo Adams Smelter
te Ertz Ebron
k Crosby Lambo
def Denver jacksonville
2017 4 1st /3 2nds

Walter W.
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Walter W. » Fri Apr 17, 2015 2:10 pm

Grew up in San Diego, so it was a natural choice. As a kid I followed casually, glad when they won but not real involved. Then Don Coryell came to town. Dan Fouts, Charlie Joiner, Kellen Winslow, John Jefferson and later Wes Chandler. It was a lot of fun to watch and I was hooked.
The One Who Knocks
12 team league, 27 man rosters (more during the offseason), 7 man Practice Squad. Standard league with big play scoring for IDPs.

QB: L. Jackson, K. Mond, K. Murray, A. Richardson, D. Thompson-Robinson
RB: L. Bellamy, Z. Charbonnet, N. Chubb, N. Harris, K. Hunt, K. Ingram, C. Edwards-Helaire, J. Mixon, D. Vaughn, J. Warren, K. Williams
WR: C. Austin, O. Beckham, A. Cooper, C. Davis, J. Downs, M. Goodwin, N. Harry, J. Jefferson, J. Jeudy, T. Johnson, M. Jones, A. Lazard, M. Mims, S. Moore, R. Rice, J. Smith-Schuster, J. Washington, A. Wesley, N. Westbrook-Ikhine
TE: N. Fant, H. Henry, K. Pitts, D. Washington
K: Z. Gonzalez, R. Gould, B. McManus
DL: J. Hughes, T. Wilson
LB: D. Harris, J. Houston, S. Leonard
DB: E. Forbes, A. Robertson

2024 picks: 1, 1, 3, 5, 5, 6, 7
2025 picks: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Coogan Football
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Coogan Football » Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:28 pm

wreckeray1 wrote:1st nfl game I remember watching; 8 yrs old, super bowl 6 dallas vs Miami. started hating dallas lol and lovin the DOLPHINS although I live 3hrs east of dallas, although at 8 yrs old didn't know that,and Miami won next 2. Still waiting for that next one lol; hopefully ill see it in my lifetime.
p.s. still hate the cowgirls lol; although i loved me some Emmith Smith in mid 90's in redrafts and Dez today in dynasty.
Emmott Smith is from my hometown and I can personally tell you that he is a grad- A doosh bag, I've encountered him numerous times and he's the biggest prick ever, Roy Jones Jr (5 time world champion and Olympic boxing great) and Derrick Brooks who are hometown legends for all they've done for Pensacola and they make Emmitt look like an even bigger asshole.
12 team 6pts all TDs/.5ppr/SFlex/ balanced IDP, scoring est. 2008
Start QB,SF,2RB,3WR,TE,2Flex,3DL,3LB,3DB,2DFlex
3x Champion 2015, 2016, 2017
QB: Brees, Luck, Prescott, McCarron, C.Kelly, Peterman
RB: Elliott, Gurley, Hunt, Kamara, Gordon, Howard, McCaffrey, J.Williams,
WR: Julio, Hopkins, M.Thomas, TY, Watkins, Kupp, C.Davis, Thomas (LA), Carroo, Switzer, Tr. Taylor
TE: Olsen, Engram, Howard, Fleener, Swoope
DL: Watt, Mack, C.Jordan, Bosa, D.Hunter, Clowney, Armstead
LB: Kuechly, Ogletree, Mosley, McKinney, R.Foster, Bucannon, Z.Cunningham, Anzalone, ShaqT,
, Goodson, Pullard,
DB: H.Smith, Vaccaro, B.Jones, Neal, Adoree, K.Joseph, Geathers, M.Maye, J.Jones, D Thompson

Don't be the guy that asks for advice without giving some out yourself
#WhoDat

thaniz
Role Player
Role Player

Postby thaniz » Tue May 05, 2015 8:55 am

Great thread. If allowed, I want to develop this a bit further.

I live in Europe, started watching NFL 2-3 years ago. I have never seen an NFL game live, I have no attachments to a team whatsoever, so I find it very difficult to choose. Somehow got caught with the Browns but man I don't know. Its really difficult.

Say you lived in Europe, and discovered football when you are over 30 years old, how would you choose your favorite team?
The Lost Boys Dynasty League - https://www59.myfantasyleague.com/2021/home/25061#0
QB: Jackson, Herbert, Cousins, Newton
RB: Cook, Howard, Michel, McKissic, Hyde, Mack, Mattsson, Mostert
WR: Julio, D. Johnson, Cooks, Hardman, Cobb, M.Jones, Hamler, Hilton, Bourne, Harris, Pringle, Toney, Washington, M.Johnson
TE: Kelce, Cook,

FF_Magz
Captain
Captain

Postby FF_Magz » Wed May 13, 2015 12:26 pm

Born and raised in New England. Born and raised a Pats fan. My first game was in 1990 at the old Foxboro Stadium during the 1-15 year. I've lived through all the other horrible years throughout the 90s. I remember going to those games knowing full well that Marino was going to torch the Pats. Then, after he did, we had to hear it from every Miami fan as we walked out of the stadium. So I feel zero remorse when I talk bleep about the Dolphins. No one seemed to have any remorse back then (or even today for that matter) when they talk bleep about the Patriots so whatever.

I get to one or two games a year at Gillette. I live about 45 minutes away.
Team 1 (Victory Points) - 12 Team, PPR - Start 9 1QB, 2-3RB, 2-4WR, 1-2TE, D/ST
QB: Jackson, Goff, Mac Jones,
RB: Montgomery, Gordon, Gallman, Mack, J. Patterson, K. Herbert, S. Perine, Juszczyk,;
WR: Hill, Jefferson, Metcalf, Renfrow, Tyrell Williams, K. Cole, D. Harris, Callaway , T. Patrick, F. Swain;
TE: Jonnu, Engram, Alie-Cox, Juwan Johnson;
2022: 1 (Mid), 1 (Late), 2, 4, 5
Championship: 2020

Dookmarriot
MVP
MVP

Postby Dookmarriot » Thu May 14, 2015 5:40 am

thaniz wrote:Great thread. If allowed, I want to develop this a bit further.

I live in Europe, started watching NFL 2-3 years ago. I have never seen an NFL game live, I have no attachments to a team whatsoever, so I find it very difficult to choose. Somehow got caught with the Browns but man I don't know. Its really difficult.

Say you lived in Europe, and discovered football when you are over 30 years old, how would you choose your favorite team?
Could be a million things. Drawn to a player, drawn to a team because they're successful, drawn to a team because you want to cheer for an underdog, drawn to a team because you like their logo...

That's the great thing about fandom. Never has to be logical!
FF_Magz wrote:Born and raised in New England. Born and raised a Pats fan. My first game was in 1990 at the old Foxboro Stadium during the 1-15 year. I've lived through all the other horrible years throughout the 90s. I remember going to those games knowing full well that Marino was going to torch the Pats. Then, after he did, we had to hear it from every Miami fan as we walked out of the stadium. So I feel zero remorse when I talk bleep about the Dolphins. No one seemed to have any remorse back then (or even today for that matter) when they talk bleep about the Patriots so whatever.
I've had this discussion with my friends who are Red Sox fans (Jays fan, myself). How do you feel about the younger New England sports fans, who have known such incredible success across the four major sports? You have one group of Boston fans who suffered for decades, and you have the young generation who must think that titles come along as frequently as buses...
"I like reading the predictions of the morons on here and cashing in by doing the opposite. Especially Dookmariot." - Lotto4Life

"Because of (the Raiders), there's the no-clothesline rule, the no-hitting-out-of-bounds rule, the no-fumbling-forward-in-the-last-two-minutes rule, the no-throwing-helmets rule and the no-Stickum rule. So you see, we're not all bad." - Ted "The Mad Stork" Hendricks

SteelLake
Starter
Starter

Postby SteelLake » Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:41 pm

thaniz wrote:Great thread. If allowed, I want to develop this a bit further.

I say this as a Steeler fan, but stick with the Brownies! When they finally become good, it'll be so much sweeter for you than if you just hopped on a bandwagon IMO

How I would choose though? Really don't know, every non-Steeler game I generally somewhat pull for some team, usually without much logic.
Drew Christopher Brees Football Squad
Dynasty League (10 team)
2013-Present (11 years)
2017, 2022 Champion
8 playoff appearances
Record: 95-61

Keenan Alexander Allen Football Squad
Contract League (12 teams)
2015-Present (8 years)
2022, 2023 Champion
8 Playoff appearances
Record: 84-42

Dar's Outcasts
Redraft league (8-10 teams)
2020- Present (4 years)
2023 Champion
4 Playoff appearances
Record: 41-16

Sorcerer54
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby Sorcerer54 » Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:06 pm

I bleed scarlet and gold. When the San Francisco 49ers lose, a little piece of me dies. In fact, I’m a bit surprised that there is any living tissue still surrounding these old bones. I believe I’ll lose what I have left this season.

My dad was a TV & Radio Repairman in and around San Francisco. He’d make service calls out to customer’s houses that had big console models. Many were 49er season ticket holders. Sometimes they would trade him their tickets, if they weren’t going to be able to attend the game on Sunday, for his service call fee. We went to a number of games at Kezar Stadium. My first game was in October of 1959.

Kezar was an old school stadium built in 1926. There were wooden benches, few amenities and lots of seagulls and their droppings. There was a lot of pageantry as well. There was a marching band at halftime and red-and-gold clad pom pom girls. Dad would bring his transistor radio and we’d listen to the play-by-play on the radio as the game unfolded. I still love listening to football games on the radio to this day. I was hooked.

Dookmarriot
MVP
MVP

Postby Dookmarriot » Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:40 am

Sorcerer54 wrote:I bleed scarlet and gold. When the San Francisco 49ers lose, a little piece of me dies. In fact, I’m a bit surprised that there is any living tissue still surrounding these old bones. I believe I’ll lose what I have left this season.

My dad was a TV & Radio Repairman in and around San Francisco. He’d make service calls out to customer’s houses that had big console models. Many were 49er season ticket holders. Sometimes they would trade him their tickets, if they weren’t going to be able to attend the game on Sunday, for his service call fee. We went to a number of games at Kezar Stadium. My first game was in October of 1959.

Kezar was an old school stadium built in 1926. There were wooden benches, few amenities and lots of seagulls and their droppings. There was a lot of pageantry as well. There was a marching band at halftime and red-and-gold clad pom pom girls. Dad would bring his transistor radio and we’d listen to the play-by-play on the radio as the game unfolded. I still love listening to football games on the radio to this day. I was hooked.
Great story. Can't beat the "Dad" factor when it comes to being a fan.