So what made you a fan of your team?

Discuss free agency, trade rumors, games, and everything else concerning the NFL HERE!
Steelersfan
GOAT
GOAT

Re: So what made you a fan of your team?

Postby Steelersfan » Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:55 pm

Dookmariot wrote:Easy question. Did you inherit your fandom from your Dad? Was your team a championship contender when you were a kid? Something else?

I live in Canada, so there's no natural NFL rooting interest. But when I was a kid, those great NFL Films shows filled up Sunday mornings. And hearing John Facenda intoning about "The Autumn Wind" and "The NFL's home for Lost Souls and Misfits" made me a Raider fan out of the gate. The mystique of the team was irresistable.

40 some-odd years later, I'm still a big fan of the Silver and Black. Yeah, it's a Commitment To Mediocrity these days, but I wouldn't dream of cheering for another team.

So what about you?
Great story man! I was born and raised a Steelers fan and live in the area so my story is an easy one.

Dawich77
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby Dawich77 » Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:20 am

Steelers, I liked their uniforms and the names of their players. But I was young so it stuck. Going to my first game this year.

Never Veto1
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Never Veto1 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 7:41 am

Being from North Dakota there is no specific team to really root for, so when I was just a kid in the 80's watching football on Sunday with Dad was all about the Vikings. Funny thing is my brother is a Raiders fan :wtf:

I love the Vikings. Have gone through some really good times watching them, and also some really bad lows, but there is no way I'm jumping ship. Lol, every year is "the year". Words can't explain how awesome a Championship would be, people that root for the Patriots or Steelers have no idea how bad it sucks to have never seen the team you root for in the big game. 30 years now and the closest is a couple of NFC Championships that they probably should have won. Gary Anderson was a hated man for awhile.

SKOL VIKINGS!!!

20 Team Superflex (1/2 PPR / 6pt TD's)
11 Starters - QB 1(2), RB 2(4), WR 2(5), TE 2(3)

QB - Kirk Cousins, Deshaun Watson
RB - Christian McCaffrey, JK Dobbins, Tony Pollard, Jaylen Warren
WR - Odell Beckham, Adam Thielen, Allen Robinson, Donavan Peoples-Jones
TE - Mark Andrews, Jonnu Smith

Friction
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Friction » Sat Jul 11, 2015 10:35 pm

I always liked random teams from different place than my home state. As far as NFL, I became a Bills fan a year or so before the start of their Super Bowl runs because Thurman Thomas was the first athlete to personally respond back to an autograph request letter I sent him. He sent me back his rookie card with his auto on it and a short letter. He was not a star yet or really known at all. That got me glued to their games when I could. It meant a lot to me and since it was hard to get any type of legit response from any athlete back then, I felt some strong loyalty towards them/him. Them getting good obviously helped, but even at a young age, I never jumped on or off a bandwagon no matter what, and I have stuck with them through four Super Bowl losses and then the futility since. Playoffs this year for the first time since 1999 Music City Debacle.
Valhalla's Father
12 Team 1PPR 1QB/1-3RB/1-3 WR/1TE/1DST
QB:Brady
RB: Barkley, Chubb, Jacobs, Henry, Mack, Etienne
WR: Nuk, Thielen, Cooks, Diontae, Pittman, Gallup
TE: Henry

Barneso
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby Barneso » Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:01 pm

My dad came back from the States one day with a Denver Broncos cap. He has always been a Pats fan but I didn't want to inherit all of his sports teams.

I like the colours, found out they were a solid franchise have been a fan since.

foogeq9
Role Player
Role Player

Postby foogeq9 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:01 am

Born in the Bay Area but my Dad was a Steelers fan. Being a rebellious little s**t I became a fan of the Raiders and have been miserable ever since.
12 team PPR QB/RB/RB/WR/WR/Flex/Flex/K/DST
QB: D. Brees, C. Wentz
RB: J. Howard, L. Murray, T. Coleman, D. Booker, K. Dixon, J. Richard
WR: O. Beckham, D. Hopkins, A. Cooper, S. Watkins, K. Allen(IR), C. Coleman, D. Parker, K. White(IR), B. Perriman, M. Mitchell, L. Carroo, D. Inman, J. Gordon, R. Anderson
TE: T. Kelce, R. Gronkowski,
K: C. Santos
DST: Ravens
2017 picks: 1.02, 1.06, 1.09, 3.03, 4.09, 5.09
2018 picks: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
PERRENIAL RUNNER-UP

slaughterrt
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby slaughterrt » Fri Jul 24, 2015 1:11 pm

Being from Virginia, the closest team was probably the Redskins. Was not a fan of them at all. My dad was and still is a huge Cowboys fan. Not a fan of them either. My uncle, however, was a Minnesota Vikings fan from the Purple People Eater days. I thought, hell, I can do that. And my allegiance was forged. 20 years later and still riding it out. Have been through more downs than ups, but I wouldn't change it for anything.

MilwaukeesBest
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby MilwaukeesBest » Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:42 pm

I played QB on the playground as Don Majkowski. Little did I know he would get hurt and a guy unknown to me as a grade schooler named Brett Favre would play the next 16 seasons in Green Bay. Every Sunday he was out there. Sundays were for church and Green Bay Packers football. Some of my greatest memories of football to this day are of Favre, playing his heart out and leaving it all on the field. I have a hard time believing I will ever see someone play with such joy and emotion. Happy to have him back in Green Bay where he belongs.

Go Pack!
Team 1: 10 Team, 4 Keeper League, Non-PPR
QB: Deshaun Watson
RB: Ezekiel Elliott, Leonard Fournette, Kareem Hunt
WR: Julio Jones, Dez Bryant
TE: Rob Gronkowski

Steelersfan
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Steelersfan » Sun Aug 02, 2015 7:21 pm

foogeq9 wrote:Born in the Bay Area but my Dad was a Steelers fan. Being a rebellious little s**t I became a fan of the Raiders and have been miserable ever since.
:lol:

Coogan Football
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Coogan Football » Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:44 pm

Steelersfan wrote:
foogeq9 wrote:Born in the Bay Area but my Dad was a Steelers fan. Being a rebellious little s**t I became a fan of the Raiders and have been miserable ever since.
:lol:
Remember Darren Perry #39 Free Safety for the Steelers in 1995? He's my uncle's best friend and he's the reason I'm a Saints fan. He played for the Saints after he left the Steelers and he got us Saints tickets and got us into the Saint's player parking garage after games and made every player meet us and sign stuff for us. He was the nicest guy, his wife also. I was probably 12, it was awesome.
12 team 6pts all TDs/.5ppr/SFlex/ balanced IDP, scoring est. 2008
Start QB,SF,2RB,3WR,TE,2Flex,3DL,3LB,3DB,2DFlex
3x Champion 2015, 2016, 2017
QB: Brees, Luck, Prescott, McCarron, C.Kelly, Peterman
RB: Elliott, Gurley, Hunt, Kamara, Gordon, Howard, McCaffrey, J.Williams,
WR: Julio, Hopkins, M.Thomas, TY, Watkins, Kupp, C.Davis, Thomas (LA), Carroo, Switzer, Tr. Taylor
TE: Olsen, Engram, Howard, Fleener, Swoope
DL: Watt, Mack, C.Jordan, Bosa, D.Hunter, Clowney, Armstead
LB: Kuechly, Ogletree, Mosley, McKinney, R.Foster, Bucannon, Z.Cunningham, Anzalone, ShaqT,
, Goodson, Pullard,
DB: H.Smith, Vaccaro, B.Jones, Neal, Adoree, K.Joseph, Geathers, M.Maye, J.Jones, D Thompson

Don't be the guy that asks for advice without giving some out yourself
#WhoDat

Lenny16
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby Lenny16 » Sat Aug 08, 2015 1:08 am

MilwaukeesBest wrote:I played QB on the playground as Don Majkowski. Little did I know he would get hurt and a guy unknown to me as a grade schooler named Brett Favre would play the next 16 seasons in Green Bay. Every Sunday he was out there. Sundays were for church and Green Bay Packers football. Some of my greatest memories of football to this day are of Favre, playing his heart out and leaving it all on the field. I have a hard time believing I will ever see someone play with such joy and emotion. Happy to have him back in Green Bay where he belongs.

Go Pack!
The Majik man, I thought he was gonna be the next stud qb.

kwade7575
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby kwade7575 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 1:04 am

I am Seattle born and raised. My dad is a die-hard Cowboy fan because he grew up when there was no Seahawks and the Cowboys were great. So, even though we are both fans of all other Seattle sports, my dad's fandom of the Cowboys led my young mind to believe that for football you are supposed to find the team you like. As a 9 year old I dabbled into fandom with a bunch of different teams based on my football card collection and my favorite color schemes. That was about the time that the Oilers had switched to the Titans and I loved their new logos. They then pulled off the Music City Miracle and I was hooked! A couple games later in the Superbowl I was hit with the reality of Titan fandom: disappointment. It started as a bandwagon move but I never actually got the winning that most bandwagoners get. Now it is about 15 years later and I am still waiting for another music city miracle, but ill tell you what... it has been a great 15 years. Let's hope Mariota is that miracle I have been waiting for!
The Vaders 10-team .5PPR QB/RB/WR/WR/TE/Superflex/Flex/Flex
QB - C.Wentz, A. Luck
RB - S. Michel, N. Chubb, R. Jones, D.Murray, S.Ware, B.Powell, Du.Johnson
WR - D.Hopkins, S.Watkins, A.Cooper, M.Lee, D. Parker
TE - Z.Ertz, J. Reed

Saskatchewan Roughriders 16-team .5PPR QB/RB/RB/WR/WR/FLEX/FLEX/FLEX/DEF/K Orphan 2016
QB - Mitchell Trubisky
RB - L.Fournette, Brian Hill
WR - M.Thomas, J.Doctson, Corey Davis, L.Treadwell, J.Crowder, M.Lee, Zay Jones
TE - Z.Ertz
2018 picks 1,1,2,3

Csl312
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Csl312 » Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:08 am

Bruiser wrote:Good thread. As a kid in Chicagoland, the Super Bowl Shuffle dominated the culture. As many Bears fans were born, Virginia Halas purged the team of cheerleaders and any future hope. As a non-fan of the Lovable Losers (Cubs) I am very shaky in my allegiance to the sister franchise. Many of us in Chicago are still hopeful of a return of the Chicago Cardinals from the desert. :vsad:
Having grown up in Chicagoland myself, I must say I don't think I have ever heard anyone wish the Cards would come back to Chi Town. Is that sentiment specific to one part of the area?

I grew up in a household that could not really care less for football outside of the Super Bowl. Eventually all my friends who were Bears fans made it an easy choice and they are my #1 team today. However I started to really become interested in the sport right as the Patriots won their first championship. I liked the underdog story with Tom Brady coming in and winning it all and they became the first NFL team that I would say I was a fan of. The regional influence (and a move to Wisconsin) solidified my Bears fandom but I have always held the Pats as a close second favorite.

Moody
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby Moody » Sun Dec 27, 2015 9:24 am

Spite.

My older brother was a Miami fan from the heyday. My first pack of football cards had Bob Griese and Nat Moore in the same pack.
I refused to trade them out of spite, claiming to be a Dolphin fan too.
MOODY
WR - Brown, Hilton, Cooks, Landry, D Jax, Garcon, Parker, Bolden Wallace
K - Crosby, Tucker Def - Packers, Dolphins
2016 - Pick 7, (9 or 10)

HummaK
Rookie
Rookie

Postby HummaK » Mon Jan 04, 2016 7:17 am

The NFL is just getting more popular in germany, so i didn't really noticed it for a long time. Superbowl 47 was the first game i ever watched, it got me immediatly. Read much, looked much. The way that lead me to becoming a pats fan was quite simple then, vollmer as one of the few germans in the NFL and Gronk as a player who got me..
Team 1: 12-Team, 15 Keeper (10 IOP, 3 IDP, 2 free) 0.5 PPR Superflex

QB: Cam, Mariota, Carr, Smith
RB: Zeke, M. Gordon, Miller, Abdullah, Mixon, Hunt, Foreman, Perine, Henderson
WR: Julio, ARob, Dez, Moncrief, Parker, Doctson, Treadwell, J. Brown, Ross, Z. Jones
TE: Gronk; Brate, Engram