Roger G. is ruining the game for fans.

Discuss free agency, trade rumors, games, and everything else concerning the NFL HERE!
whalerman
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Roger G. is ruining the game for fans.

Postby whalerman » Sat Aug 18, 2012 6:29 pm

I can hardly watch anymore. Seems like every single play is under review now. Every turnover, every TD. Give me a break. Momentum is destroyed and the game is no longer fun to watch. Its crazy. No wonder they havent contracted with the officials, they are going to review everything anyway so why does it matter if they have beginners reffing the games or not. If there was a way to get ahold of Goddell I'd give him a piece of my mind. Anyone else feel the same way?

FF_Magz
Captain
Captain

Re: Roger G. is ruining the game for fans.

Postby FF_Magz » Sat Aug 18, 2012 6:34 pm

I actually enjoy watching the game and the official reviews don't bother me at all. You'll miss out if you don't want to watch anymore.
Team 1 (Victory Points) - 12 Team, PPR - Start 9 1QB, 2-3RB, 2-4WR, 1-2TE, D/ST
QB: Jackson, Goff, Mac Jones,
RB: Montgomery, Gordon, Gallman, Mack, J. Patterson, K. Herbert, S. Perine, Juszczyk,;
WR: Hill, Jefferson, Metcalf, Renfrow, Tyrell Williams, K. Cole, D. Harris, Callaway , T. Patrick, F. Swain;
TE: Jonnu, Engram, Alie-Cox, Juwan Johnson;
2022: 1 (Mid), 1 (Late), 2, 4, 5
Championship: 2020

drobes
Starter
Starter

Postby drobes » Sat Aug 18, 2012 7:34 pm

I agree that the automatic reviews on turnovers are way to much. That's what the refs are paid and trained for, to make calls on the field to the best of their ability.

The biggest complaint I hear from people who aren't into the NFL is the massive amounts of dead-time in the games. I think it's a mistake for the league to add additional long periods of undefined deadtime.

whalerman
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby whalerman » Sat Aug 18, 2012 7:56 pm

drobes, I couldn't agree more. Certainly some of the non-fans are non-fans because of all the down time. I cant believe the game is being taken further in that direction. Its pushing more and more of the current fans to the outside looking in, choosing only to watch what we consider are big games.

FF_Magz
Captain
Captain

Postby FF_Magz » Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:18 pm

I dont know if I'm just not as picky or what, but I don't have any problem with the speed of the game.

The mandatory reviews are a bit ridiculous but it definitely doesn't make me not to watch.

You my friend should invest the 50 bucks in the NFL Redzone channel. Almost 8 hours of straight football. If a play goes to review, Scott Hanson (the host) flips you over to the next game until it comes back. Best thing ever, especially for the fantasy football lover!
Team 1 (Victory Points) - 12 Team, PPR - Start 9 1QB, 2-3RB, 2-4WR, 1-2TE, D/ST
QB: Jackson, Goff, Mac Jones,
RB: Montgomery, Gordon, Gallman, Mack, J. Patterson, K. Herbert, S. Perine, Juszczyk,;
WR: Hill, Jefferson, Metcalf, Renfrow, Tyrell Williams, K. Cole, D. Harris, Callaway , T. Patrick, F. Swain;
TE: Jonnu, Engram, Alie-Cox, Juwan Johnson;
2022: 1 (Mid), 1 (Late), 2, 4, 5
Championship: 2020

drobes
Starter
Starter

Postby drobes » Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:33 am

FF_Magz wrote:I dont know if I'm just not as picky or what, but I don't have any problem with the speed of the game.

The mandatory reviews are a bit ridiculous but it definitely doesn't make me not to watch.

You my friend should invest the 50 bucks in the NFL Redzone channel. Almost 8 hours of straight football. If a play goes to review, Scott Hanson (the host) flips you over to the next game until it comes back. Best thing ever, especially for the fantasy football lover!
LOL :D Dynasty FFL enthusiasts that frequent this site are not a good representation of the casual NFL fan. We're going to remain glued to the TV set when our team is playing and we will probably watch a couple other games every week as well.

The question in my mind is whether the rule change to add mandatory booth reviews on turnovers in addition to scoring plays is a good thing for the NFL.

I think it is a bad move. The positives of reducing the chance of a bad call on an important play is outweighed by the stoppage of the gameflow and the undefined dead-time it creates. Most turnovers are obvious plays: An interception by a linebacker, a botched snap that the defensive lineman picks up and runs with or a fumble in the open field. Fans in the 50th row can clearly see that a turnover occurred yet the rules now mandate that play has to be stopped for an undefined amount of deadtime as the booth reviews.

The refs are trained and paid to make live action calls on the field to the best of their abilities. Let them do their job and maintain the integrity of the game. A coaches challenge mechanism already exists anyways.

Football remains a predominately American sport. One of the biggest obstacles to attracting new fans (especially over seas) is the large amounts of deadtime. These new rules are moving the game in the wrong direction IMO.

whalerman
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby whalerman » Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:58 am

FF_Magz wrote:I dont know if I'm just not as picky or what, but I don't have any problem with the speed of the game.

I agree. Redzone is great for fantasy folks like ourselves. I'm celebrating THIRTY years of fantasy football this season and dont intend to stop watching, but todays NFL game is losing fans. The fact the Redzone channel even exists kinda of makes my point for me. Its really a slow game now with all the stoppage time and so along comes a new product to make up for that. My real beef is they are taking the game in the wrong direction and it wont be good for the fans or the league in the long run.

xlote
Starter
Starter

Postby xlote » Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:33 am

FYI - I doubt Roger G. had anything to do with the added reviews. They have a competition committee of coaches & GMs and they come up with new rule proposals. Then a wider group votes on them.

whalerman
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby whalerman » Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:49 pm

That might be, but the man oversees the game and if he's any kind of commish at all he would start getting after ANYTHING that is detrimental to the game. A million reviews and game stoppages are detrimental to the game. Redzone is basically a high light reel. Why would you watch a game (excepting the big games of course) when you can watch a high light reel.

DynastyKing
Captain
Captain

Postby DynastyKing » Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:31 am

I'm going to wait until the regular officials return before passing judgment on the newest replay additions. These replacements are learning the entire NFL rulebook in addition to the replays...they most likely are in over their heads.
12 Team|Non-PPR|16 man rosters|9 Keepers|$250 cap|QB, 2-4 RB, 2-4 WR, 1-2 TE
Salaries increase 20%/year in perpetuity

QB: A. Luck $22, RGIII $1
RB: T. Richardson $46, M. Ingram $21, A. Blue $1
WR: AJ Green $15, J. Jones $6, J. Maclin $9, Mi. Floyd $14, TY Hilton $3
TE: J. Reed $2

Rookies: C. Hyde $2, J. Hill $4, T. Mason $4, I. Crowell $1

drobes
Starter
Starter

Postby drobes » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:26 am

DynastyKing wrote:I'm going to wait until the regular officials return before passing judgment on the newest replay additions. These replacements are learning the entire NFL rulebook in addition to the replays...they most likely are in over their heads.
Actually the automatic replays aren't handled by the replacement officials. Booth officials operate under a separate CBA than the field officials and the regular personal remain in place for the preseason games.

dresden
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby dresden » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:11 am

I have yet to watch a game and think that replays are ruining it. Some things happen too quickly or at a difficult angle to judge for refs to make perfect calls. In the pre-replay era, there were playoff games decided by incorrect calls. The system will evolve and they'll continue trying to make delays as short as possible. I want the calls to be correct.
12 team, PPR, 4 pt QB TDs, 25 ret yds/pt.
Start: 1 QB, 1 RB, 1 WR, 1 TE, 4 RB/WR/TE

QB: M Ryan, B Bortles, D Carr;
RB: L McCoy, J Stewart, L Murray, T Riddick, R Turbin, K Robinson, K Carey, J Gray, K Williams;
WR: Julio, S Watkins, J Matthews, K Allen, J Landry, M Crabtree, C Patterson, P Harvin, R Woods, P Garcon, M Wilson, A Holmes, J Janis (TS);
TE: C Clay, D Pitta, J Gresham, R Rodgers, L Wilson

xchrisntiffx
Role Player
Role Player

Postby xchrisntiffx » Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:55 pm

I think its more the scab refs that they have in right now and that is why it takes so long. I didn't realize how important and well trained the refs were until now.
10 team non ppr -Scoring:10 yards rush or receiving = 1 pt and 20 return = 1pt. 6 pt rush/rec td. Passing TD 4 points
Start: QB, WR,RB, TE, (W/R/T)x4,K, IPD flex, LB, DT, DE,CB,S
QB: Cam Newton(Car). Winston
TE: Gronkowski( NE), Ebron (det) Eifert (Cin)
RB: A.peterson(min), t.yeldon(jax), tre mason, CJ Spiller, Giovani Bernard(Cin),, M. Ingram(NO),a.blue (hou), c.pain((car),J Mckinnon(Min),I. crowell (Cle)
WR's: Dez, AJ Green(cin),Julio Jones(atl),Randall Cobb(GB), Kennan Allen (San),Kelvin Benjermin ( Car)

Amoo
Captain
Captain

Postby Amoo » Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:20 pm

I have more of a problem with the personal foul calls. Seems like any time there is a big hit on a reciever the defense gets flagged for unnecessary roughness, regardless if it was helmet to helmet or not. I'm sure this has something to do with the replacement officials, but getting penalized for every big hit is ridiculous. To the point where I'm yelling at the TV. It feels like the game is headed toward being flag football, or 2 hand touch.