Vontae Davis retires

Discuss free agency, trade rumors, games, and everything else concerning the NFL HERE!
Csl312
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Vontae Davis retires

Postby Csl312 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:32 am

Davis retired from the NFL at halftime. I don't know that this has ever happened before. Wondering what everyone thinks about it? Obviously there is little implication for most fantasy players but still found this strange.

The Red Rooster
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Re: Vontae Davis retires

Postby The Red Rooster » Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:44 am

Kyle Orton sort of retired in a similar fashion (though, it certainly wasn't mid game). Coincidentally, he was also playing for the Bills.

I dont really have a problem with it, but I do think he signed with the Bills BEFORE they traded Tyrod away. So, he likely expected to build on last seasons momentum (when the Bills made the playoffs) when he signed with them, which vanished when they dealt Tyrod away later. I am never a proponent of giving up and quiting on anything really though, so, from that perspective, I dont agree, but, I am certainly not outraged over it, haha.

Jfever
Legend
Legend

Postby Jfever » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:02 am

Not sure of his reasoning, but, I view this as simply pathetic. The whole, I don't like what's going on here so - I quit mentality. So typical of the sorry trend that we see more and more of.

Again, I don't know the reasoning so I cant go any further on my thoughts. Maybe there is more to it. I just see it as extremely odd timing and - with all things considered - it is a job. Do your job, get paid (EXTREMELY well) to do your job. I mean :wall: :wall: :wall:
Truth is found through Evidence.

Science is the poetry of reality.

* Reality (as defined by Webster's dictionary) - A word for things as they actually exist, as opposed to an idealistic or notional ideal of them.

The Red Rooster
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby The Red Rooster » Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:06 pm

JFever wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:02 am Not sure of his reasoning, but, I view this as simply pathetic. The whole, I don't like what's going on here so - I quit mentality. So typical of the sorry trend that we see more and more of.

Again, I don't know the reasoning so I cant go any further on my thoughts. Maybe there is more to it. I just see it as extremely odd timing and - with all things considered - it is a job. Do your job, get paid (EXTREMELY well) to do your job. I mean :wall: :wall: :wall:
He made over $50 million dollars in his 10 year career.

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:19 am

Considering the risk of injury, loss of lifestyle* & even chance of death - I have no issues if he decided he was no longer cut out to play NFL Football. He obviously could have done a better job on how he quit - but in the end he went out on his terms and as long as he is fine with that - what the rest of us think will have little impact on his life going forward.
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

Csl312
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Csl312 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:59 pm

It sort of sounded like he realized he just physically couldn't play anymore. That said I think he should have at least finished out the current game and then retired. I don't think it's bad that it's a surprise to his coaches and team mates but pretty poor form to just stop at half time.