Alex Smith Traded To Washington

Discuss free agency, trade rumors, games, and everything else concerning the NFL HERE!
IBall2
All Pro
All Pro

Re: Alex Smith Traded To Washington

Postby IBall2 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:09 am

Defender wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:51 am If Kirk is serious about wanting to go to a contender, I don’t see how any team is higher on his wishlist than Jacksonville. GREAT defense, above average run game, good WR corps even without A-Rob. The team went to the AFC championship with Bortles at the helm, for Pete’s sake!
The Jags only have $16 million in cap space for 2018. They can create another $19 mil if Bortles gets healthy and can pass a physical before the start of the new league year but the front office sounds like they want to give him one more year. If they want to franchise Robinson, that's probably around $16 million for the 2018 season. I don't see how they can fit Cousins into their salary cap. They have a few players to resign as well between Robinson/Lee/Posluszny/a backup QB.

Broncos are in the same boat with little cap space but it sounds like they're going to move on from Talib which is a start.

Tvols
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Tvols » Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:13 am

Captain checkdown to the Nations Capital I like it..less talent should make a great mix.. i think Cousins never wanted to comeback after the botched way the Redskins handels this so he priced himself out of there and got paid well while doing it.. Sry redskins you falling flat again..gotta love those Snyders, Jerry Jones of the NFL..
16 teamer
QB T Law, R Wilson
rb- Mixon,pollard, J Hill, conner,
WR-Chase,Lamb,T Hill, R Bateman, C sutton, boyd
Te Kelce, Waller, Fant,Evertt,
1qb,2-3rb,3-5wr,1-2 TE
Full IDP

moishetreats
Legend
Legend

Postby moishetreats » Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:19 am

To clear up the money part.

1) Given the number of teams needing a QB, Cousins will get quite a bit more than Smith.

2) Note that the $71 million that Smith received in guarantees is NOT the same as getting a FULLY guaranteed contract. We don't know what the guarantees are or when they kick in or even if they are even partially assured. Odds are that the contract that Cousins receives might not have much more of a yearly salary but will have many more fully guaranteed dollars.

So, yes, Smith will faaaaar cheaper than Cousins.
10 tms 27 plrs PPR
Start: 2QB 2RB 3WR 2TE 2Flex / best ball

QB: Herbert, Love, Rodgers, G Smith, Stidham, T Taylor, Hall
RB: McCaffrey, Mixon, Pacheco, Montgomery, Z White, Allgeier, Dillon
WR: Hill, St. Brown, Kupp, Allen, Lockett, B Johnson
TE: Kelce, Kmet, Kraft, Okonkwo, Dulcich, Tremble

2024: 2.09, 3.07, 3.08, 3.10, 4.08
2025: 2nd (x2), 4th, 5th (x2)
2026: 1st, 2nd (x2), 3rd, 4th, 5th

12 tms 22 active plyrs. Salary Cap $300 PPR
Start: 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1SF 1Flex / best ball

QB: Lawrence (contract through 2026), Love ('24), Rodgers ('24), Stidham ('25), Lock ('25)
RB: Bijan Robinson ('25), Pollard ('27), Dillon ('24), Rodriguez ('24), Spiller ('24)
WR: G Wilson ('26), AJ Brown ('26), DJ Montgomery ('25)
TE: --
2024 Cap Spent: $186

IR: --
TAXI SQUAD (4 max): --

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:35 am

nathanq42 wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:45 pm 4 YEARS $94 MILLION WITH $70 MILLON GUARANTEED?!?!?!!!!!!???!!!! WTF WAS COUSINS ASKING FOR????????
If you recall, he never asked for anything. Per the Redskins, they made multiple offers to which they never received a counter offer. Nor did Cousins' agent ever come to the table with an asking price. While the perception that played out was that the Redskins were not willing to meet his terms, I find it much more likely that it was very intentional on his part to play on year-to-year fully guaranteed contracts under the franchise tag. And it was a ploy to work toward a longer term solution between the players and ownership to try to get more guaranteed money into contracts.
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

Pullo Vision
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Pullo Vision » Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:39 am

thebeast wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:30 am
Defender wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:51 am If Kirk is serious about wanting to go to a contender, I don’t see how any team is higher on his wishlist than Jacksonville. GREAT defense, above average run game, good WR corps even without A-Rob. The team went to the AFC championship with Bortles at the helm, for Pete’s sake!
Good WRs without ARob, what? They pretty easily have the worst WRs of all the teams that made the playoffs, which is why I fail to see the hate for Bortles. He was throwing to a 4th round rookie, a udfa rookie, and Marcedes Lewis in the conference finals. Adding Lee to that group does not make a good WR corp.
Absolutely. In a good receiving corps, Lewis is your backup TE and none of the WRs are higher than 3rd on the depth chart, except maybe Lee. That doesn't speak to long term, cause Cole and Westbrook are appealing prospects, but not starters for an aspiring contender.
League #1- 14 tm ppr, 1Q, 2R, 3W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1K
1 DT, 2 DE, 2 LB, 1 CB, 1 S, 1 flex

League #2- 12 team PPR, 1Q, 1R, 2W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1 W/R/T, 1 Def

League #3- 12 tm PPR, 1Q, 0R (yes, ZERO RB) 3W, 1T, 2 R/W/T flex, 1 Def

Friction
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Friction » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:55 am

I remember being out to eat with a group of friends and family around 10 years ago and Alex Smith was part of the group. I believe he was the backup to Kaep at that particular time and he was a really cool guy/down to earth. Maybe losing your starting job will do that, who knows. It did not seem like anybody there in the restaurant even knew who he was, and we were in SoCal still, not SF though. He had a good year and am glad he was able to revive his career with KC and at least get a nice contract in DC. I still view him as one of the Captain Checkdowns of the NFL, but a decent version that can make some plays with his legs too.
Valhalla's Father
12 Team 1PPR 1QB/1-3RB/1-3 WR/1TE/1DST
QB:Brady
RB: Barkley, Chubb, Jacobs, Henry, Mack, Etienne
WR: Nuk, Thielen, Cooks, Diontae, Pittman, Gallup
TE: Henry

Servo
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Servo » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:48 am

DAMN, my speculative add this offseason was Colt McCoy in SF/2QB Leagues. Was hoping for maybe a Glennon situation where I could have flipped him...easy come, easy go.

Would be cool to see Cousins w/ ARob in AZ, JAX, etc but I have to imagine that JAX tags Robinson and there isn't any way to force yourself out of a tag, correct?

Drafted Mahomes with the 2.11 in my Superflex last year, need him badly unless Mariota can come back from the dead with LaFleur as OC. :thumbup:

Blackout
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Blackout » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:56 am

What's next for Cousins ? Jets, Browns, Cards ?

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:58 am

Servo wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:48 am there isn't any way to force yourself out of a tag, correct?
A team can rescind the tag but a player's only "leverage" is holding out.
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

TheEastWest
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby TheEastWest » Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:03 pm

StableOfRBs wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:48 pm
jonesmaster wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:45 pm This is wild! based on Kirks recent comments, which suggested that Winning is his main motivation, i'm going to guess Denver is the major player for him. Excited to see where he ends up, because that offence skyrockets in value. Where do you think he'll end up?
Cousins? Jets or the Browns, they can afford to give him the most money, Denver is strapped for cash a bit and there have already been rumors they'd want Tyrod who should be much cheaper than Cousins.
No way Cousins signs with the Jets or Browns!! He’s made it clear he wants to go to a team with a chance to win now.. You don’t refuse to sign long term with the Skins and risk injury if your only chasing the money ..
I’ll guess he signs with Denver with the Vikings being a dark horse ... He’s not going to simply sign with the highest bidder ..
Standard 10 man
QB Rogers - Big Ben- Jackson-
RB Gurley- Bell- Mixon - Conner- M Brown - Burkhead, Warren, Ballage
WR OBJ , Julio- AJG- Kupp- Sanders- John Brown- Allison- MVS- Hogan - T Williams- Humphries
TE- Ertz - Reed-

dynastyninja
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby dynastyninja » Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:17 pm

TheEastWest wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:03 pm
StableOfRBs wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:48 pm
jonesmaster wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:45 pm This is wild! based on Kirks recent comments, which suggested that Winning is his main motivation, i'm going to guess Denver is the major player for him. Excited to see where he ends up, because that offence skyrockets in value. Where do you think he'll end up?
Cousins? Jets or the Browns, they can afford to give him the most money, Denver is strapped for cash a bit and there have already been rumors they'd want Tyrod who should be much cheaper than Cousins.
No way Cousins signs with the Jets or Browns!! He’s made it clear he wants to go to a team with a chance to win now.. You don’t refuse to sign long term with the Skins and risk injury if your only chasing the money ..
I’ll guess he signs with Denver with the Vikings being a dark horse ... He’s not going to simply sign with the highest bidder ..
Cleveland's a very real possibility, even if it's not the most likely. They have money and a team ready for a QB to take them to the next level.

Pac_Eddy
Legend
Legend

Postby Pac_Eddy » Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:27 pm

The Broncos offered a 2nd round pick + Aquib Talib. KC chose the Washington deal. Wow.
Not all that counts can be counted. Not all that can be counted counts.

Shoreline Steamers
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Shoreline Steamers » Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:46 pm

Pac_Eddy wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:27 pm The Broncos offered a 2nd round pick + Aquib Talib. KC chose the Washington deal. Wow.
If the details are accurate it's clearly a better package. But I'll bet KC didn't want to send Smith over to a division rival in case Mahomes doesn't work out right away and Denver sweeps them in 2018. The fanbase would go ballistic. Better to send him out of conference to the NFC where he can't come back to bite them.

Although I guess I should check the inter-conference games in 2018, since it's still possible Smith will play his old team at some point.
14 Team, No-PPR, 20 Man Roster, TD Heavy, TD = 6, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, B. Purdy, T. Lance
RB: J. Mixon, N. Chubb, A. Dillon, J. Cook, K. Mitchell, J. McLaughlin, Z. Evans
WR: J. Chase, C. Godwin, D. Johnson, J. Reed, C. Tillman
TE: TJ Hockenson, D. Njoku, B. Jordan

14 Team, .5 PPR, 18 Man Roster, Rush/Rec TD = 6, Pass TD = 4, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, T. Tagovailoa
RB: B. Robinson, K. Walker, R. Stevenson, K. Herbertl
WR: C. Olave, T. Higgins, B. Aiyuk, N. Collins, Z. Flowers, M. Mims
TE: K. Pitts, D. Njoku

nathanq42
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby nathanq42 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:50 pm

Shoreline Steamers wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:46 pm
Pac_Eddy wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:27 pm The Broncos offered a 2nd round pick + Aquib Talib. KC chose the Washington deal. Wow.
If the details are accurate it's clearly a better package. But I'll bet KC didn't want to send Smith over to a division rival in case Mahomes doesn't work out right away and Denver sweeps them in 2018. The fanbase would go ballistic. Better to send him out of conference to the NFC where he can't come back to bite them.

Although I guess I should check the inter-conference games in 2018, since it's still possible Smith will play his old team at some point.
Excellent point. Unless I am totally overhauling my offensive & defensive scheme and playbook there is a 0.00001% chance I sell my starting QB of the last few years to a division rival. I'd need an outrageous overpay
12 Team 1 ppr .1 points per carry
Garbage
QB Jalen Hurts
RB A-train, D'Onta Foreman,Jahmyr Gibbs, JK Dobbins, Rashaad Penny, AJ Dillon, Jerrick McKinnon, Joshua Kelley, TDP, Chase Edmonds, JRob, Zamir White
WR CeeDee Lamb, Justin Jefferson, DJ Moore, Hollywood Brown, Brandin Cooks, Odell Beckham Junior, Marvin Jones, Braxton Berrios, Richie James
TE Dalton Kincaid, Foster Moreau
+2 Flex
1.02, 1.06

Pac_Eddy
Legend
Legend

Postby Pac_Eddy » Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:53 pm

Shoreline Steamers wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:46 pm

Division foe was probably a factor too.
Smith.JPG
Smith.JPG (42.01 KiB) Viewed 684 times
Not all that counts can be counted. Not all that can be counted counts.