WR - Catch radius

Discuss free agency, trade rumors, games, and everything else concerning the NFL HERE!
Blackout
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

WR - Catch radius

Postby Blackout » Thu Oct 06, 2016 2:40 pm

I've always heard about "catch radius" but never understood what it means.

What's the definition ? Who's got the best one ? Is it more important that being great route runner or having big hands or run 4.4 ?

Curious of your answers guys !

lukkynumber13
GOAT
GOAT

Re: WR - Catch radius

Postby lukkynumber13 » Fri Oct 07, 2016 11:28 am

I mean, surely there is a clearly defined "catch radius" for each player, something like Arm length+hand size+vertical leap?

But usually when people are talking about it, they are referring to a player's knack for catching tough throws, plus his athletiscm & wingspan, plus his soft hands. In this way, OBJ has a better catch radius than a bigger guy with better wingspan, like DGB. Larry Fitzgerald, though surely not as athletic as some youngsters like Kevin White or Chris Moore, has a superior catch radius because his insanely elite hands and his awareness make up for anything lacking in the vertical leap category
TEAM A - 12T (22 R/U, 20 R/U, 19 R/U, 18 Champ, 17 R/U)
HERBERT, Baker
BIJAN/KAMARA/MIXON, A Jones
HILL/AJB/DK/G WILSON/D Adams, Pittman, Z Flowers, Evans
KITTLE
/
TEAM B - 16T, SF, TEP (22 R/U)
HURTS/MINSHEW, Cousins, D Jones
JT/JACOBS, Mostert, Gus E
HILL/MCLAURIN/DEEBO
KELCE/KITTLE, LaPorta
/
TEAM C - 14T, SF (Joined in 22)
GENO
HENRY/A JONES, Gus E
HILL/DIGGS/K ALLEN
WALLER
/
TEAM D - 14T, 1QB (Joined in 22)
MAHOMES, Goff
BIJAN/BREECE/POLLARD
CHASE/DIGGS/G WILSON/AIYUK, DJM, Pittman
KITTLE, Goedert
/
TEAM E - 14T, SF, 2TE (Started in 22)
MAHOMES/T-LAW, Carr
BIJAN/CMC/SAQUON/POLLARD, Hall
HILL/AIYUK/EVANS/GODWIN, Hollywood, Thielen
MCBRIDE/ENGRAM, Goedert, Chig
/
TEAM F - 16T (Joined in 23)
R WILSON, Minshew
SAQUON/KAMARA/MIXON, Monty
DIGGS/GODWIN/AIYUK/EVANS, Thielen, A Cooper
KELCE, Schultz
/
TEAM G - 12T, SF & TEP (Joined in 23)
HERBERT/TUA, Kyler
BIJAN/MIXON, Spears, J Warren
JJ/G WILSON/WADDLE/OLAVE, Godwin, J Reed
LAPORTA

Blackout
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Blackout » Fri Oct 07, 2016 12:24 pm

Thanks. It's clearer for me :thumbup:

MichaelPeare
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

WR Catch radius

Postby MichaelPeare » Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:14 am

That was a catch all the way in my book...he was making a motion to get upsecond move when the ball came out...they were robbed blind

:)
Sport nutrition here: https://www.sportzfuel.com/

DelawareRiverEagles
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby DelawareRiverEagles » Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:26 pm

lukkynumber13 wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2016 11:28 am I mean, surely there is a clearly defined "catch radius" for each player, something like Arm length+hand size+vertical leap?

But usually when people are talking about it, they are referring to a player's knack for catching tough throws, plus his athletiscm & wingspan, plus his soft hands. In this way, OBJ has a better catch radius than a bigger guy with better wingspan, like DGB. Larry Fitzgerald, though surely not as athletic as some youngsters like Kevin White or Chris Moore, has a superior catch radius because his insanely elite hands and his awareness make up for anything lacking in the vertical leap category
I thought 40 time was a factor too, and maybe broad jump? Not sure tbh, but arm length and vert leap are definitely in it. I guess hand size too if that's not already included in arm length.

Bronco Billy
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Bronco Billy » Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:59 am

I believe a good definition might be the distance that a player can make a catch on a throw that is outside the envelope of their standing mainframe.

This would be a combination of their reach, ability to leap both vertically and laterally, and the size and dexterity of their hands.

Just a thought...

ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Postby ninotoreS » Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:16 pm

Wing-span, hand-size, vertical jump seem to factor to determine catch-radius percentile on Playerprofiler. Although you shouldn't trust PP's claim, because body-control and ball-skills are also very important for catch-radius and there's no metric for measuring those elements.

A big catch-radius is nice because it makes it easier for the QB to complete the pass, makes it more likely the receiver can catch the pass. Catch-radius is especially important if it's regarding a receiver that maybe doesn't separate hugely but is physical at the catch-point; then the traits naturally complement each other and it perhaps doesn't matter so much if the guy isn't separating for days (e.g. Gronk).

Catch-radius isn't the end all be all, but you don't want it to be tiny, and short arm-length paired with average or below-average ball-skills is a big problem for NFL WRs (warning to Andy Isabella truthers). One of the first things I look at when I'm profiling sub-6'0" WRs is their arm-length. For example, Beckham and Hilton's freakishly long arms relative to their height do a lot to compensate for them being only 5'9"/5'11". This isn't to say a WR can't have a solid catch-radius with short arms -- AB, Boldin, Lockett come to mind -- but arm-length is easily the most obvious factor in determining catch-radius that can be measured on paper and doesn't require tape study.

Hope this helps, OP.
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure."
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE