Seattle Going After McNabb or Kolb (Rumor)

Discuss free agency, trade rumors, games, and everything else concerning the NFL HERE!
Steelersfan
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Steelersfan » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:26 am

Misfit74 wrote:
BubbaBurst wrote:
Steelersfan wrote:Comcast Sports Net Philadelphia reports the Seahawks are interested only in Kevin Kolb, not Donovan McNabb.

ESPN's Sal Paolantonio had reported the Seahawks were calling "non-stop" on the Philly quarterbacks, though it appears they're only interested in the younger of the two. The Eagles, who still see Kolb as their future, would reportedly require two first-round picks in exchange for him. Seattle does have an extra first-round pick this season, but it's hard to picture them parting with both picks. The Eagles' asking price for McNabb is said to be a first-round pick "plus something else."
Rotoworld
They really have no choice but to ask for that much for Kolb. They used a 2nd rounder on him years ago. Dealing him for anything less than a 1st would mean they wasted 4 years. Meanwhile, McNabb is the starter who's held him off all these years. How can they deal him for less than what it would take to get Kolb? They are going to end up with all three guys on their roster next year.
Matt Cassel went for linebacker Mike Vrabel and a 2nd round pick.
But Cassel was a 7th round pick.

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:44 pm

Let's not forget that Cassel sucks...just need to throw that in...I plan to beat the "I told you so" drum until the Chiefs replace him. They would be wise to do that before the 2010 season kicks off.

As to Kolb and McNabb, consider what is the incentive to the Eagles to move either of them? I don't see one. They have a great QB in McNabb right now and what should be a sure fire replacement in Kolb behind him. They are in the driver's seat here and should be commanding a lot for one or the other.
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

BradyT
Legend
Legend

Postby BradyT » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:52 pm

skip wrote:Let's not forget that Cassel sucks...just need to throw that in...I plan to beat the "I told you so" drum until the Chiefs replace him. They would be wise to do that before the 2010 season kicks off.

As to Kolb and McNabb, consider what is the incentive to the Eagles to move either of them? I don't see one. They have a great QB in McNabb right now and what should be a sure fire replacement in Kolb behind him. They are in the driver's seat here and should be commanding a lot for one or the other.
Agreed! There is no need for the Eagles to hurry and trade either of them away.
24 roster spots - 1QB,2RB,3WR,1TE,1Flex

QB: Herbert,Minshew
RB: Breece,Walker,Taylor,BRobinson,Allgeier,Spiller
WR:Jefferson,Lamb,DJMoore,QJohnston,Jameson,MMims, T.Marshall,Shakir,Gallup
TE: Andrews,Conklin
DST:DAL
2024 picks: 1.11, 2.10, 4.01, 4.05, 4.07, 4.11

Shawn
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Shawn » Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:35 pm

BradyT wrote:
skip wrote:Let's not forget that Cassel sucks...just need to throw that in...I plan to beat the "I told you so" drum until the Chiefs replace him. They would be wise to do that before the 2010 season kicks off.

Agreed! There is no need for the Eagles to hurry and trade either of them away.

I think there is an incentive to moving McNabb now, as his value should only decrease as he gets older, and especially if McNabb has any more injury issues this coming season. If the Eagles really feel like Kolb is ready to take the job, then moving McNabb becomes the easy decision I think as it doesn't really help them to keep 3 Qbs on the roster again. This reminds me of the Favre/Rodgers situation a few years ago.
“I had a couple of drinks. I started in 1970 and finished in 1985. It was a very big drink.” - Alice Cooper
“I’m sick to death of people saying we’ve made 11 albums that sound exactly the same. In fact, we’ve made 12 albums that sound exactly the same.” - Angus Young of AC/DC
"Every album Van Halen did was actually an Eddie solo album" - Eddie Van Halen
"Don't hate me because I'm fabulous" - Prince

Misfit74
Legend
Legend

Postby Misfit74 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:58 pm

Steelersfan wrote:
Misfit74 wrote:
BubbaBurst wrote: They really have no choice but to ask for that much for Kolb. They used a 2nd rounder on him years ago. Dealing him for anything less than a 1st would mean they wasted 4 years. Meanwhile, McNabb is the starter who's held him off all these years. How can they deal him for less than what it would take to get Kolb? They are going to end up with all three guys on their roster next year.
Matt Cassel went for linebacker Mike Vrabel and a 2nd round pick.
But Cassel was a 7th round pick.
Cassel also had 15 starts in the NFL to prove his value. Kolb was considered a reach in that draft in the 2nd round. Kolb has a grand total of 2 NFL starts to go by.
#GoHawks / @am_misfit / Fractal Audio / Matrix Amplification / Axe FX II XL+ / ESP, Schecter Guitars

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:52 pm

Misfit74 wrote: Cassel also had 15 starts in the NFL to prove his value. Kolb was considered a reach in that draft in the 2nd round. Kolb has a grand total of 2 NFL starts to go by.
I disagree with this. Kolb was not only expected to go in the 2nd rd, but some felt he could sneak into the end of the 1st. He was quickly moving up boards right up to the draft.

While Cassel had 15 starts to prove his value, the Chiefs conveniently ignored all of the faults he brought to the table. Most notably his decision making skills and time in getting the ball away were poor. He took a ton of sacks in New England behind a pretty solid unit. He simply lacks the capability to make quick enough decisions to be effective.

Kolb started just 2 games, but looked poised and effective. I am not one to extrapolate production from a couple of games over the long term but given that he was a high draft pick and he has already spent plenty of time learning the system in Philadelphia, I'd expect his price tag to be plenty high. He is ready right now to get the chance to start. He may still be waiting another year - he may not.
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

Misfit74
Legend
Legend

Postby Misfit74 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:15 pm

skip wrote:
Misfit74 wrote: Cassel also had 15 starts in the NFL to prove his value. Kolb was considered a reach in that draft in the 2nd round. Kolb has a grand total of 2 NFL starts to go by.
I disagree with this. Kolb was not only expected to go in the 2nd rd, but some felt he could sneak into the end of the 1st. He was quickly moving up boards right up to the draft.

While Cassel had 15 starts to prove his value, the Chiefs conveniently ignored all of the faults he brought to the table. Most notably his decision making skills and time in getting the ball away were poor. He took a ton of sacks in New England behind a pretty solid unit. He simply lacks the capability to make quick enough decisions to be effective.

Kolb started just 2 games, but looked poised and effective. I am not one to extrapolate production from a couple of games over the long term but given that he was a high draft pick and he has already spent plenty of time learning the system in Philadelphia, I'd expect his price tag to be plenty high. He is ready right now to get the chance to start. He may still be waiting another year - he may not.
Another trade to look at, as well, might be the Schaub deal:

Despite starting only two games in three seasons and winning neither of them, Schaub is highly regarded around the NFL. The former Virginia standout, a third-round pick by Atlanta. When the trade is completed, Atlanta and Houston will flip-flop first-round picks in April's draft, and Atlanta will receive Houston's second-round picks in 2007 and 2008. Houston has the No. 8 pick in the first round of the draft, while Atlanta is slotted 10th.
#GoHawks / @am_misfit / Fractal Audio / Matrix Amplification / Axe FX II XL+ / ESP, Schecter Guitars

rkrazy
Starter
Starter

Postby rkrazy » Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:28 pm

skip wrote:

Not often you see extrapolate used on a fantasy football forum. Love it Skip! You are officially my new hero :lol:

Cassel vs. Kolb isn't even close IMO. Kolb is going to be a top 10 QB for Philly, if/when he finally gets his chance to play (Aaron Rodgers). I know Reid has a McNabb mancrush, but trading McNabb is the smart move.

When Brady went down, New England had to adjust their offensive game plan around Cassel's ability...or should I say his inabilities. His poor decision making skills lead to unneccessary sacks and scrambling instead of waiting for receivers to get open or letting the play develop. Belicheck used him in the shotgun more and more as the season progressed, which made Cassel look like he was becoming a more polished QB as he "got used to the position", but in reality that was a window dressing schemed up by a good coaching staff. KC's coaching staff hasn't learned how use Cassel effectively and I doubt they ever will. In NE Cassel had a veteran team, Moss, Welker and a solid OL. KC is a young squad with a bad OL and second string talent (Bowe and Charles aside - look how these two were utilized by Haley last year). Scott Pioli should have known better.