Thomas Jones Signs With Chiefs

Discuss free agency, trade rumors, games, and everything else concerning the NFL HERE!
Pilate
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Thomas Jones Signs With Chiefs

Postby Pilate » Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:08 pm

Per Adam Schefter on Twitter. 2 years 5 Million.

Jamaal Charles owners left wondering.... :shock:

----------------
Now playing: Joe Satriani - Lords Of Karma

Orca
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Orca » Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:10 pm

The entire Chief's front office just got crossed off my Christmas card list.

Pilate
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Pilate » Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:26 pm

Orca wrote:The entire Chief's front office just got crossed off my Christmas card list.
I made it a point to go out and get JC on several of my teams this off season. My heart sank when I read this...Image

----------------
Now playing: Kyuss - Hurricane

Misfit74
Legend
Legend

Postby Misfit74 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:33 pm

Pilate wrote:
Orca wrote:The entire Chief's front office just got crossed off my Christmas card list.
I made it a point to go out and get JC on several of my teams this off season. My heart sank when I read this...Image

----------------
Ruh Roh. :oops:
#GoHawks / @am_misfit / Fractal Audio / Matrix Amplification / Axe FX II XL+ / ESP, Schecter Guitars

Orca
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Orca » Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:34 pm

Jamaal Charles-RB-Chiefs Mar. 9 - 5:57 pm et

Beat writer Kent Babb confirms that Jamaal Charles remains "the running back" for the Chiefs despite the Thomas Jones signing.
Babb is projecting a 65-35 split between the two backs, which makes sense. Charles was reportedly "on fumes" by the end of the season as the team's only viable back, so the presence of Jones will keep his legs fresh. Similar to Chris Johnson in 2008, Charles will have to hold off Jones at the goal-line to maintain first-round fantasy value. He remains a sound Dynasty league investment with a 32-year-old backup who severely declined down the stretch last year.
Source: Kent Babb on Twitter

This guy gets paid to write this stuff. Charles, on fumes, managed to rush for 259 yards on week 17...

Orca
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Orca » Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:37 pm

Pilate wrote:

----------------
I think he'll be fine. In the long run. But yeah, it still sucks.

yumbo
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby yumbo » Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:46 pm

Orca wrote:Jamaal Charles-RB-Chiefs Mar. 9 - 5:57 pm et

Beat writer Kent Babb confirms that Jamaal Charles remains "the running back" for the Chiefs despite the Thomas Jones signing.
Babb is projecting a 65-35 split between the two backs, which makes sense. Charles was reportedly "on fumes" by the end of the season as the team's only viable back, so the presence of Jones will keep his legs fresh. Similar to Chris Johnson in 2008, Charles will have to hold off Jones at the goal-line to maintain first-round fantasy value. He remains a sound Dynasty league investment with a 32-year-old backup who severely declined down the stretch last year.

This guy gets paid to write this stuff. Charles, on fumes, managed to rush for 259 yards on week 17...

Yeah, that is all fine and dandy at the moment until, TJ starts putting up 130+ yds a week and Charles is left in the dust! :wink: :lol:

You may have been born and bred in old Kentucky, but you're just a crumb up here! TM 3 Stooges

Orca
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Orca » Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:54 pm

yumbo wrote:

Yeah, that is all fine and dandy at the moment until, TJ starts putting up 130+ yds a week and Charles is left in the dust! :wink: :lol:

:shock: That's not helping! LOL

Pilate
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Pilate » Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:31 pm

And the "fresh legs" comment is JC owners / pundits who want to bury their heads in the sand and deny the obvious. Less touches = less fantasy points.

I bought JC in 3 leagues this off season and the TJ signing significantly lowers his value. I paid 1RB prices and he is a low end 1 / high end 2 now. Not good value to say the least...

----------------
Now playing: 30 Seconds To Mars - Hunter
Last edited by Pilate on Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Risky bidness
MVP
MVP

Postby Risky bidness » Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:32 pm

Orca wrote:
yumbo wrote:

:shock: That's not helping! LOL
I knew that JC wouldn't be left to be the man in K.C. Decent to bad oline and JC and TJ splittin reps? RBBC rears it's ugly head once more.

KU Sucks
Captain
Captain

Postby KU Sucks » Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:34 pm

I own Charles in both my dynos and am a Chief's fan; but am ok from a fantasy stand point and happy as a fan. AND I was at the last couple games and he was running on fumes and was beat to hell. (according to Charles) He could only take a play off a series because the cupboard was bare of rbs by the time the season was over.

The locals here are saying 65% to 35% split w/Charles getting the bulk, which sounds about right. Charles will lose the carries inside the 5 no doubt; but it should add to him being effective later in the year. Please remember he didn't play much early in the year,and was still running out of gas.

Rumor has it that the formerly fast Willie Parker is coming to town this week too................... :?

But maybe this means we will be going after a couple linemen and a wr.

Orca
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Orca » Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:57 pm

since when did T. Jones become some goal line dozer back? rbbc is pushing me towards building around Wide receivers...

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:06 pm

The signing makes no sense for the Chiefs or for Jones...

At 32, Jones is probably entering his last season. He has something left in the tank and is a great fit for a team primed for a playoff run. The Chiefs have a young potential stud in Charles and without a viable QB, a dismal line, one WR to speak of, and no defense the only run they will be making is for the #1 overall draft pick in 2011.

The Chiefs front office continues to make one bad move after another. At least Jones has talent, which is more than can be said for anyone else they have brought in the last couple of seasons.
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

Steelersfan
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Steelersfan » Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:04 pm

I look at this as a great signing for the Chiefs and Charles owners. Let's not get silly here fellas, do we actually think Charles is built to be a workhorse? Jones will keep him fresh, not a bad thing.

Steelersfan
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Steelersfan » Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:33 pm

According to Kent Babb on Twitter, Jamaal Charles is still the main back in Kansas City despite the Chiefs' recent signing of Thomas Jones.

Our View: Charles is expected to split carries with Jones 65-35, which should help him to stay fresh throughout the year. Last season he was all alone in the backfield and was apparently on fumes when the season drew to a close. Charles should still have fantasy value, but if Jones vultures his goal-line touches his worth will drop like a stone.
Fanball