Burleson to Lions

Discuss free agency, trade rumors, games, and everything else concerning the NFL HERE!
blacksheep
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Burleson to Lions

Postby blacksheep » Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:26 am

From Rotoworld-

Scout.com's Adam Caplan reports that the Lions have agreed to terms with free agent wide receiver Nate Burleson. ESPN's Adam Schefter reports that the deal will be for five seasons.

The Lions shouldn't be done upgrading their WR corps after this, but we like the move if the report is true. Detroit has been needy at the No. 2 wideout spot since Calvin Johnson emerged as an All-Pro caliber talent in 2008. Last year, Johnson was dogged by double teams. Burleson won't draw safeties away from Johnson, but he at least can make plays down the field and is more efficient than Dennis Northcutt or 2009 free agent bust Bryant Johnson. Mar. 5 - 1:59 am et
Source: Adam Caplan on Twitter

Risky bidness
MVP
MVP

Postby Risky bidness » Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:28 am

Like it as a stafford owner. Get some oline help lions!

BubbaBurst
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby BubbaBurst » Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:57 am

Good move for the lions. Likely hurts Burleson's value a little, but i guess if they dont upgrade the run game they may be throwing a lot. Am I the only one that is amazed burleson is on the right side of thirty? I feel like he's been around forever.
DLF I Romo, Mathews, DMC, Murray, AJohnson, Welker, Wayne, Nelson, Finley
DLF II Peyton, McCoy, Ballard, DJackson, VJackson, DMoore, Welker, Gronk
DLF R Cam, AP, Foster, RWilliams, Nicks, SSmith, Floyd, Hill, Gresham, Keller
DLF U Eli, DMC, CJ2k, Sproles, Ballard, AJ Green, VJackson, Graham, Gresham

Steelersfan
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Steelersfan » Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:48 am

BubbaBurst wrote:Good move for the lions. Likely hurts Burleson's value a little, but i guess if they dont upgrade the run game they may be throwing a lot. Am I the only one that is amazed burleson is on the right side of thirty? I feel like he's been around forever.
It does...nice signing.

MonkeyOne
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby MonkeyOne » Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:57 am

BubbaBurst wrote: Am I the only one that is amazed burleson is on the right side of thirty? I feel like he's been around forever.
Wow, didn't realise, I thought he was older. :oops: I like it for Detroit, and CJ owners.

Misfit74
Legend
Legend

Postby Misfit74 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:40 am

We somehow decided it would be smarter to Franchise our Kicker Olindo Mare since Kickers are so hard to find and receivers like Burleson are so easily replaceable. :shock: :oops:
#GoHawks / @am_misfit / Fractal Audio / Matrix Amplification / Axe FX II XL+ / ESP, Schecter Guitars

BradyT
Legend
Legend

Postby BradyT » Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:49 am

So is Burleson really good enough to actually draw some attention and considerably help Calvin?(havn´t really seen video material on Burleson)
24 roster spots - 1QB,2RB,3WR,1TE,1Flex

QB: Herbert,Minshew
RB: Breece,Walker,Taylor,BRobinson,Allgeier,Spiller
WR:Jefferson,Lamb,DJMoore,QJohnston,Jameson,MMims, T.Marshall,Shakir,Gallup
TE: Andrews,Conklin
DST:DAL
2024 picks: 1.11, 2.10, 4.01, 4.05, 4.07, 4.11

BubbaBurst
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby BubbaBurst » Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:20 am

BradyT wrote:So is Burleson really good enough to actually draw some attention and considerably help Calvin?(havn´t really seen video material on Burleson)
I think draw some attention is the wrong way to put it. He runs solid routes and will make just about all the catches. He no longer has elite speed, but he has some gas left in the tank. He will be solid for them as long as he can stay off the injury report, but he won't make teams change their focus away form stopping Calvin.

Of course its also possible that he will be a complete bust, considering he just had a creer year the year before his free agency after a few dismal years. We wil see how the money treats him.
DLF I Romo, Mathews, DMC, Murray, AJohnson, Welker, Wayne, Nelson, Finley
DLF II Peyton, McCoy, Ballard, DJackson, VJackson, DMoore, Welker, Gronk
DLF R Cam, AP, Foster, RWilliams, Nicks, SSmith, Floyd, Hill, Gresham, Keller
DLF U Eli, DMC, CJ2k, Sproles, Ballard, AJ Green, VJackson, Graham, Gresham

Risky bidness
MVP
MVP

Postby Risky bidness » Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:31 am

BradyT wrote:So is Burleson really good enough to actually draw some attention and considerably help Calvin?(havn´t really seen video material on Burleson)
put it this way, he's better then any other WR after CJ on that roster. I'm a fan of it because he's a year removed from his acl. Back to 100% for sure this year.

Shawn
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Shawn » Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:41 am

Misfit74 wrote:We somehow decided it would be smarter to Franchise our Kicker Olindo Mare since Kickers are so hard to find and receivers like Burleson are so easily replaceable. :shock: :oops:
Considering how much the Lions overpaid for this guy, I think its a good move for the Seahawks to not give this guy that much money ( 5 years, 25 million with 11 million guaranteed), plus there are plenty of former USC receivers they can go for now :lol:
“I had a couple of drinks. I started in 1970 and finished in 1985. It was a very big drink.” - Alice Cooper
“I’m sick to death of people saying we’ve made 11 albums that sound exactly the same. In fact, we’ve made 12 albums that sound exactly the same.” - Angus Young of AC/DC
"Every album Van Halen did was actually an Eddie solo album" - Eddie Van Halen
"Don't hate me because I'm fabulous" - Prince

bigcsr67
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby bigcsr67 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:33 pm

Shawn wrote:
Misfit74 wrote:We somehow decided it would be smarter to Franchise our Kicker Olindo Mare since Kickers are so hard to find and receivers like Burleson are so easily replaceable. :shock: :oops:
Considering how much the Lions overpaid for this guy, I think its a good move for the Seahawks to not give this guy that much money ( 5 years, 25 million with 11 million guaranteed), plus there are plenty of former USC receivers they can go for now :lol:
Mike Williams makes a triumphant return to the NFL as a Seahawk?????!!!!????? :shock: Now that would be a shocker

Shawn
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Shawn » Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:36 pm

bigcsr67 wrote:
Shawn wrote:
Mike Williams makes a triumphant return to the NFL as a Seahawk?????!!!!????? :shock: Now that would be a shocker

Yes, with as much weight as he put on Mike Williams will come back............. as an Offensive Tackle :lol: :lol: :lol:
“I had a couple of drinks. I started in 1970 and finished in 1985. It was a very big drink.” - Alice Cooper
“I’m sick to death of people saying we’ve made 11 albums that sound exactly the same. In fact, we’ve made 12 albums that sound exactly the same.” - Angus Young of AC/DC
"Every album Van Halen did was actually an Eddie solo album" - Eddie Van Halen
"Don't hate me because I'm fabulous" - Prince

jimmo
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby jimmo » Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:39 pm

hot nikkels wrote:
put it this way, he's better then any other WR after CJ on that roster. I'm a fan of it because he's a year removed from his acl. Back to 100% for sure this year.
But not better than Kevin Walter, who came cheaper than Burleson and was a much better fit for the Lions O (and Stafford) as a possession guy with very good hands. I still don't know how he never (publicly) entered the conversation for the Lions and how they ended up paying so much for a small, speed guy. I personally, as a Lions for far too long, would've preferred the money to pretty much go anywhere else but where it did.