Report: Lions actively shopping No. 2 pick

Discuss free agency, trade rumors, games, and everything else concerning the NFL HERE!
BradyT
Legend
Legend

Postby BradyT » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:22 am

NFL Network's Jason La Canfora reports that the Lions are actively shopping the No. 2 overall pick in April's draft and are "already in contact with several other teams."
We're surprised La Canfora even ran with this. The Lions can "shop" the No. 2 pick all they want, but it's highly uncommon that any team is willing to trade into the top five to pay an unproven rookie like an established NFL superstar. While it's possible that some contender envisions Ndamukong Suh or Gerald McCoy as the "final piece" to a Super Bowl run, the club won't even know who the Rams will draft No. 1 for another two months. Feb. 23 - 10:01 am et
Source: Jason La Canfora on Twitter
24 roster spots - 1QB,2RB,3WR,1TE,1Flex

QB: Herbert,Minshew
RB: Breece,Walker,Taylor,BRobinson,Allgeier,Spiller
WR:Jefferson,Lamb,DJMoore,QJohnston,Jameson,MMims, T.Marshall,Shakir,Gallup
TE: Andrews,Conklin
DST:DAL
2024 picks: 1.11, 2.10, 4.01, 4.05, 4.07, 4.11

Risky bidness
MVP
MVP

Re: Report: Lions actively shopping No. 2 pick

Postby Risky bidness » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:45 am

BradyT wrote:

NFL Network's Jason La Canfora reports that the Lions are actively shopping the No. 2 overall pick in April's draft and are "already in contact with several other teams."
We're surprised La Canfora even ran with this. The Lions can "shop" the No. 2 pick all they want, but it's highly uncommon that any team is willing to trade into the top five to pay an unproven rookie like an established NFL superstar. While it's possible that some contender envisions Ndamukong Suh or Gerald McCoy as the "final piece" to a Super Bowl run, the club won't even know who the Rams will draft No. 1 for another two months. Feb. 23 - 10:01 am et
I could see the lions doing this to acquire more picks. They need opine help, but would probably get blasted for not taking suh or McCoy at 2. If they could trade out for a later 1st rd pick and a 2nd or 3rd, they could upgrade mutiple spots.

But like what said before, who's gonna want to jump in a pay a large amount.?

BradyT
Legend
Legend

Postby BradyT » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:58 am

hot nikkels wrote:
BradyT wrote:

I could see the lions doing this to acquire more picks. They need opine help, but would probably get blasted for not taking suh or McCoy at 2. If they could trade out for a later 1st rd pick and a 2nd or 3rd, they could upgrade mutiple spots.

Probably nobody..

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:58 am

hot nikkels wrote:
BradyT wrote:

Until the NFL has a rookie cap, not happening.
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

BradyT
Legend
Legend

Postby BradyT » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:55 am

Jason La Canfora
Lions soliciting offers for No. 2 draft pick

Posted: February 23rd, 2010 | Jason La Canfora | Tags: Detroit Lions, Gerald McCoy, Ndamukong Suh, NFL Draft

The Lions are actively shopping the second overall pick in April’s draft, according to a league source, and would be very comfortable trading down, looking to stockpile three or four assets.

The Lions already have been in discussions with other teams about the prospect, according to the source, and have ample time to make such a move before the draft begins April 22.

Given the uncertain labor and economic climate in the NFL, finding a trading partner might not be easy. However, the possibility remains that a team might want to move into the top two to ensure it lands one of two dominant defensive tackles — Nebraska’s Ndamukong Suh and Oklahoma’s Gerald McCoy — who many experts rate as by far the best prospects.

The Lions are trying to rebuild a long-suffering defense in particular, after sinking considerable high picks and resources into offensive skill players in recent years. They aren’t averse to taking the top player on their board, according to the source, but will seek to explore all options for a trade.

The Rams, who hold the No. 1 overall pick, have denied a report that they were in discussions with the Buccaneers to deal that selection, but there will be lots of jockeying and machinations taking place between now and late April.

Some teams have interest in Lions LB Ernie Sims as well, according to league sources, but the prospect of him being included in any deal along with the second overall pick seems bleak now because Detroit values him as a building block on defense. Sims, the ninth overall pick in 2006, has two years remaining on his rookie contract

Misfit74
Legend
Legend

Postby Misfit74 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:32 pm

I would rather the Lions keep the pick and select a non-QB. Any team moving into the #2 pick could arguably want a QB or G.McCoy. If it's QB it would severely affect Seattle's ability to land one of the top-2 QBs.

That said, I don't think there is any way a team trades into the #2 overall pick. Too much guaranteed money and overall contract cost for a rookie in that slot. Teams would rather move down and out than up and in with regard to those draft positions. I don't think they'll find a taker.

HOWEVER, I would not mind if Seattle made a play for the #2 overall to ensure getting Bradford (or Clausen), but certainly not in line w/ the archaic draft value chart and certainly not if it meant giving up this year's other first rounder that Seattle has from Denver.
#GoHawks / @am_misfit / Fractal Audio / Matrix Amplification / Axe FX II XL+ / ESP, Schecter Guitars

Shawn
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Shawn » Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:40 pm

I could see the Lions trading down SLIGHTLY to another team in the top 5 or top 10 anyway. At that point all of those teams are on the hook for a big contract to their incoming rookie, so a small trade-down could take place I would think.
“I had a couple of drinks. I started in 1970 and finished in 1985. It was a very big drink.” - Alice Cooper
“I’m sick to death of people saying we’ve made 11 albums that sound exactly the same. In fact, we’ve made 12 albums that sound exactly the same.” - Angus Young of AC/DC
"Every album Van Halen did was actually an Eddie solo album" - Eddie Van Halen
"Don't hate me because I'm fabulous" - Prince

Madtoker
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Madtoker » Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:52 pm

Remember when it used to be a good thing when you got high draft picks. :lol:

grimace
All Pro
All Pro

Postby grimace » Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:22 pm

Madtoker wrote:Remember when it used to be a good thing when you got high draft picks. :lol:
With in a year or two it will be a good thing again... :wink:

hosler427
Charter Member
Charter Member

Postby hosler427 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:27 pm

grimace wrote:
Madtoker wrote:Remember when it used to be a good thing when you got high draft picks. :lol:
If everything in the NFL stayed the same but the instituted a rookie cap, I would be very happy!! Not only would these ridiculous contracts for rookies be gone but the high draft picks would have trade value as well.

Steelersfan
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Steelersfan » Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:32 pm

hosler427 wrote:
grimace wrote:
If everything in the NFL stayed the same but the instituted a rookie cap, I would be very happy!! Not only would these ridiculous contracts for rookies be gone but the high draft picks would have trade value as well.
Well put Dan, I agree.

yumbo
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby yumbo » Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:56 pm

hosler427 wrote:
grimace wrote:
I agree with you too, Dan. I almost guarantee that there will be a rookie salary cap on contracts when the next CBA is negotiated. This may be one of the only issues that the players association and the owners agree on! :wink:

You may have been born and bred in old Kentucky, but you're just a crumb up here! TM 3 Stooges

MrUbuto
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby MrUbuto » Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:26 pm

Steelersfan wrote:
hosler427 wrote:
grimace wrote: With in a year or two it will be a good thing again... :wink:
Well put Dan, I agree.
I like the idea of the lions having a trade in the works with a few teams under the condition "if suh isnt available" if they can get suh at 2 they have to do it. if not trade down to a team in the top 10 and get there 2nd
QB - DWatson(HOU)Minshew(JAX)Darnold(NYJ)
RB -NChubb(CLE)DHenry(TEN)JTaylor(IND)Gurley(ATL)
WR -DHopkins(ARI)ACooper(DAL)CGodwin(TB)OBJ(CLE)
TE - HHenry(SD)DGoeddart(PHI)
K - Zurlien(LAR)Crosby(GB)
Def - ARI DAL
[rookie] Haskins(WAS)DSwift(DET)Jefferson(MIN)MHardman(KC)
7th pick in 2021

Rosters must always be 3qbs 4wrs 4rbs 2tes 2kickers 2dst and protected players don't take up a roster spot, but are only for rookie/2nd-year players that were drafted

Salty Dawg
Starter
Starter

Postby Salty Dawg » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:01 pm

Steelersfan wrote:
hosler427 wrote:
grimace wrote: With in a year or two it will be a good thing again... :wink:
Well put Dan, I agree.
It is the only right way to all this madness and huge amts of $$,

Steelersfan
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Steelersfan » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:26 am

Jaguars GM Gene Smith says he would like to trade down from their spot in the first round to acquire extra picks.

The Jaguars will draft either 10th or 11th, depending on a coin flip. Smith says he is targeting a pass rusher, something this draft is loaded with. Derrick Morgan of Georgia Tech and South Florida's Jason Pierre-Paul are considered the best DE/OLBs available.
Rotoworld

Yet another team looking to move down...