Report: Lions actively shopping No. 2 pick

Discuss free agency, trade rumors, games, and everything else concerning the NFL HERE!
skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:26 am

Misfit74 wrote:I would rather the Lions keep the pick and select a non-QB. Any team moving into the #2 pick could arguably want a QB or G.McCoy. If it's QB it would severely affect Seattle's ability to land one of the top-2 QBs.

That said, I don't think there is any way a team trades into the #2 overall pick. Too much guaranteed money and overall contract cost for a rookie in that slot. Teams would rather move down and out than up and in with regard to those draft positions. I don't think they'll find a taker.

HOWEVER, I would not mind if Seattle made a play for the #2 overall to ensure getting Bradford (or Clausen), but certainly not in line w/ the archaic draft value chart and certainly not if it meant giving up this year's other first rounder that Seattle has from Denver.
I don't expect any team to trade up into the top 5 to take a QB. Apart from team need, are either of them being viewed as top 5 quality players? I am not getting that impression. The only way I can see any scenario playing out where a team makes a move up like that (and perhaps a small one like Seattle moving those few spots) is if the Rams take a QB at #1. That could potentially set a team to "panic" and want to assure themselves of getting the QB.
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

Risky bidness
MVP
MVP

Postby Risky bidness » Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:31 pm

Just read in the NCAA forum that Adam schefter is sure that the rams take bradford at 1. If the lions are willing to shop the 2 pick they may get what they want if a team wants suh or McCoy and they're both available at 2.

thevidon2
Starter
Starter

Postby thevidon2 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:34 am

Nobody wants to trade up to #2 to take a defensive player - it just costs too damn much. The whole rookie salary scale is bleep. You know things aren't right when a teams are constantly trying to trade away their top 3 picks, and nobody ever usually wants to move into those slots unless they are already a top 5 pick and paying huge money to their rookie anyways.