Thomas Jones to be released?

Discuss free agency, trade rumors, games, and everything else concerning the NFL HERE!
Risky bidness
MVP
MVP

Thomas Jones to be released?

Postby Risky bidness » Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:20 pm

Rich Cimini of the New York Daily News reports Jets running back Thomas Jones is due a $3 million roster bonus plus a $2.8 million salary. There's a decent chance they may cut Jones even though he ran for 1,402 yards last season. That sounds crazy, but he turns 32 in August. That, coupled with his late-season swoon and the emergence of Shonn Greene, puts Jones squarely on the bubble.

This news would get me pumped if I was a Greene owner! What's Leon Washington's status? Will the Jets try to get him under contract?

brice587
Charter Member
Charter Member

Postby brice587 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:28 pm

The only reason I can see them not looking to resign Washington would be concerns about his injury. Greene can't replace what he does for the team, they are just different kinds of players.

Risky bidness
MVP
MVP

Postby Risky bidness » Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:32 pm

brice587 wrote:The only reason I can see them not looking to resign Washington would be concerns about his injury. Greene can't replace what he does for the team, they are just different kinds of players.
Agreed. I wonder if Reggie Bush would be a player they could target.

the_lung
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby the_lung » Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:22 pm

The Jets need to be comfortable that Leon Washington will be healthy next year. If Washington's prognosis looks good in the first week of March, then I would bet that Jones is cut before his $2.8M bonus is due on March 9.

Salty Dawg
Starter
Starter

Postby Salty Dawg » Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:38 pm

the_lung wrote:The Jets need to be comfortable that Leon Washington will be healthy next year. If Washington's prognosis looks good in the first week of March, then I would bet that Jones is cut before his $2.8M bonus is due on March 9.
x2.

Risky bidness
MVP
MVP

Postby Risky bidness » Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:11 pm

Salty Dawg wrote:
the_lung wrote:The Jets need to be comfortable that Leon Washington will be healthy next year. If Washington's prognosis looks good in the first week of March, then I would bet that Jones is cut before his $2.8M bonus is due on March 9.
x2.
You gotta wonder if Leon is willing to take less money in a contract after his leg injury. Even if they do sign him, I wonder how much work he'd get on offense.

yumbo
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby yumbo » Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:58 pm

Was Leon's injury that bad??? I just traded for him in one of my leagues. :cry: But, the good news is.....I got Shonn Greene, too! :D

You may have been born and bred in old Kentucky, but you're just a crumb up here! TM 3 Stooges

Risky bidness
MVP
MVP

Postby Risky bidness » Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:04 pm

yumbo wrote:
Was Leon's injury that bad??? I just traded for him in one of my leagues. :cry: But, the good news is.....I got Shonn Greene, too! :D
LOL. Go ahead and youtube "Joe Theisman leg break." Looks and was about the same.

the_lung
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby the_lung » Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:10 am

From: NY Jets might release running back Thomas Jones if he doesn't take paycut
According to beat writer Dave Hutchinson, the Jets will likely release Thomas Jones if he does not agree to restructure his contract.

No shocker here. Jones has earned his $2.8M base salary and $3M roster bonus with a second straight career year, but the Jets believe he is now expendable with Shonn Greene emerging behind a dominant line. The Jets have had talks with Jones' agent, and the sides will meet again at this week's Combine. Jones postured for more money last offseason, so it would be surprising if he agreed to a pay-cut this time around.
Seems pretty obvious what is going on here - the market has collapsed because of the release of Tomlinson and Westbrook. If Jones gets released, he's competing for jobs with both of those RBs and an NFL GM is likely to go with one of the former over Jones. I think the agent for Jones would be wise to advise Jones to accept a paycut if a reasonable one is offered from the Jets.

bobbytheo3
Starter
Starter

Postby bobbytheo3 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:29 am

That may be true but I think Jones still has more in the tank than either one of those guys despite being a couple years older.

Steelersfan
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Steelersfan » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:36 am

bobbytheo3 wrote:That may be true but I think Jones still has more in the tank than either one of those guys despite being a couple years older.
I'd rather have Jones over LT but I'm not sure about Westy yet.

bigcsr67
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby bigcsr67 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:17 pm

Steelersfan wrote:
bobbytheo3 wrote:That may be true but I think Jones still has more in the tank than either one of those guys despite being a couple years older.
I'd rather have Jones over LT but I'm not sure about Westy yet.
Westy's noodle is fried. He is a 3rd down back at best now. I too would take Jones over LT at this point for sure.

yumbo
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby yumbo » Sat Feb 27, 2010 3:07 pm

I read somewhere today that the Jet's GM Tannenbaum will be meeting with Jones' agent at the combine to discuss a "restrutured" contract for Jones. So, he might be a Jet afterall!! :cry:

You may have been born and bred in old Kentucky, but you're just a crumb up here! TM 3 Stooges

bigcsr67
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby bigcsr67 » Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:43 pm

yumbo wrote:I read somewhere today that the Jet's GM Tannenbaum will be meeting with Jones' agent at the combine to discuss a "restrutured" contract for Jones. So, he might be a Jet afterall!! :cry:
I heard a similar story. The Jets were not going to give him his original deal, so it was either re-structure or head off into the sun set with LT and Westbroke at his side.

GridIronFavre
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby GridIronFavre » Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:21 pm

I think it would be a mistake for the Jets to let Thomas Jones go. Yes, I like Greene and Washington should be back, but with the way the team is structured, I would want the full complement of RBs in the backfield.
Start: 2 QB, 3 RB, 5 WR, 2 TE (All TDs=6, 1 per 10 rush/rec, 1 per 25 pass, NO PPR) 8 teams
QB: Rodgers, Vick, Cutler, Schaub, Luck
RB: Rice, CJ, McFadden, Richardson, Stewart, Ingram, Spiller, Vereen
WR: Green, Marshall, Roddy, Jennings, Roddy, Bowe, Maclin, Britt, A Brown, Williams (TB), Collie, Smith (STL)
TE: Graham, Finley, F Davis, Cook
Taxi Squad: Tebow, Crabtree, Jeffrey, Hill, Gordon