Lions RB situation

Discuss free agency, trade rumors, games, and everything else concerning the NFL HERE!
jimmo
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby jimmo » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:46 pm

highballers wrote:
jimmo wrote:
Steelersfan wrote:Lions beat writer Tom Kowalski expects the team to show interest in DeAngelo Williams this offseason.

Kowalski suggests offering the team's second-round pick (No. 34) overall. Williams, though, is a top-ten talent at the running back position and integral to Carolina's run-heavy offense. The Panthers might take such an offer more seriously if Jonathan Stewart wasn't recovering from Achilles' surgery.
Source: MLive.com
Rotoworld
I don't imagine that one happening. That's the kind of move a team makes when the other pieces are in place and a stud RB will put them over the top, though Kowalski does sometimes get these things right. Peter King's suggestion that the Lions would be a good fit for Chester Taylor seems more likely to me.
I don't see the Vikings letting him go very easy, if not at all.
but its not up to them, its up to Taylor. I could definitely see him taking less money to get a chance for some more PT.

Devil's Advocate
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Devil's Advocate » Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:34 pm

jimmo wrote:
highballers wrote:
jimmo wrote: I don't imagine that one happening. That's the kind of move a team makes when the other pieces are in place and a stud RB will put them over the top, though Kowalski does sometimes get these things right. Peter King's suggestion that the Lions would be a good fit for Chester Taylor seems more likely to me.
I don't see the Vikings letting him go very easy, if not at all.
but its not up to them, its up to Taylor. I could definitely see him taking less money to get a chance for some more PT.
They could tag him if they really like him. IMO Taylor is a perfect short term fot for the Lions until Smith is healthy. That is IF Smith is a part of their long term plans.

I know it is a long shot but I'd love to see Deangelo in Detroit. :D
2009/2010 Devil's Dynasty Champion
2010 DLF Veterans Invitational Champion
2010 Beer Drinkers Dynasty Champion
2010 Devil's Dynasty II Champion

jimmo
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby jimmo » Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:46 pm

Devil's Advocate wrote:
jimmo wrote:
highballers wrote: I don't see the Vikings letting him go very easy, if not at all.

They could tag him if they really like him. IMO Taylor is a perfect short term fot for the Lions until Smith is healthy. That is IF Smith is a part of their long term plans.

I know it is a long shot but I'd love to see Deangelo in Detroit. :D
Good point. I wasn't really thinking about that option because its so much money, but I suppose in an uncapped year they could consider it.

Steelersfan
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Steelersfan » Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:15 am

The Lions are expected to use a second-day (second and third rounds) pick on a tailback this April.

Detroit reportedly wants "great speed and game-breaking ability" from its new back. The rookie could enter 2010 as a starter with Kevin Smith coming off a torn ACL. While the article we've linked seems to rule out Fresno State's Ryan Mathews due to "4.5 speed," scouting services expect him to run a sub-4.4. Mathews' versatility would also fit well in OC Scott Linehan's scheme.
Rotoworld

Devil's Advocate
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Devil's Advocate » Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:46 am

Steelersfan wrote:The Lions are expected to use a second-day (second and third rounds) pick on a tailback this April.

Detroit reportedly wants "great speed and game-breaking ability" from its new back. The rookie could enter 2010 as a starter with Kevin Smith coming off a torn ACL. While the article we've linked seems to rule out Fresno State's Ryan Mathews due to "4.5 speed," scouting services expect him to run a sub-4.4. Mathews' versatility would also fit well in OC Scott Linehan's scheme.
Rotoworld

Dexter McCluster please!
2009/2010 Devil's Dynasty Champion
2010 DLF Veterans Invitational Champion
2010 Beer Drinkers Dynasty Champion
2010 Devil's Dynasty II Champion

BradyT
Legend
Legend

Postby BradyT » Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:39 pm

Devil's Advocate wrote:
Steelersfan wrote:The Lions are expected to use a second-day (second and third rounds) pick on a tailback this April.

Rotoworld

Dexter McCluster please!
I took him in the mock with their 3rd rd pick. If he falls to them in the 3rd, I think they will take him. They need an all around offensive threat and return guy.
24 roster spots - 1QB,2RB,3WR,1TE,1Flex

QB: Herbert,Minshew
RB: Breece,Walker,Taylor,BRobinson,Allgeier,Spiller
WR:Jefferson,Lamb,DJMoore,QJohnston,Jameson,MMims, T.Marshall,Shakir,Gallup
TE: Andrews,Conklin
DST:DAL
2024 picks: 1.11, 2.10, 4.01, 4.05, 4.07, 4.11