NFC Championship - NO vs. MIN

Discuss free agency, trade rumors, games, and everything else concerning the NFL HERE!
meineymoe
Charter Member
Charter Member

whose pants are on the ground?

Postby meineymoe » Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:18 am

who dat!? who dat!? Favre on the ground, Favre on the ground, looking like a victory with Favre on the ground...helmet turned sideways, turf in his mouth, looking like a victory with Favre on the ground

Orca
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Orca » Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:24 am

I am hardly a Favre sympathizer but the interception at the end was hardly what the lost the game for the Vikings. A. Peterson and others fumbling all over was the reason.

Also, your 40 year old QB is getting repeatedly crushed, how about some max protect? or maybe some screens/midirections to slow down the blitz, anything.

I wanted to root against Favre, and I wanted the Vikings to lose, but after watching him gut it out the way he did, I changed my tune as the game went on. The Viking fans should really have no complaints about what Favre gave them this year. They really couldn't have asked for more, imo. The rest of the team let them down.

hosler427
Charter Member
Charter Member

Postby hosler427 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:38 am

Orca wrote:I am hardly a Favre sympathizer but the interception at the end was hardly what the lost the game for the Vikings. A. Peterson and others fumbling all over was the reason.

Also, your 40 year old QB is getting repeatedly crushed, how about some max protect? or maybe some screens/midirections to slow down the blitz, anything.

I wanted to root against Favre, and I wanted the Vikings to lose, but after watching him gut it out the way he did, I changed my tune as the game went on. The Viking fans should really have no complaints about what Favre gave them this year. They really couldn't have asked for more, imo. The rest of the team let them down.
Totally agree but I would amend that to say...the rest of the team and the playcalling let them down. When I was watching the game I was thinking about the same thing as far as screens/misdirections. They started out solid and then at some point the playcalling became predictable. I actually can't stand Favre's obsessive need to be in the spotlight (which is the only reason for his on again, off again career these last few years) BUT the loss wasn't his fault.

BradyT
Legend
Legend

Postby BradyT » Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:09 am

hosler427 wrote:
Orca wrote:I am hardly a Favre sympathizer but the interception at the end was hardly what the lost the game for the Vikings. A. Peterson and others fumbling all over was the reason.

Totally agree but I would amend that to say...the rest of the team and the playcalling let them down. When I was watching the game I was thinking about the same thing as far as screens/misdirections. They started out solid and then at some point the playcalling became predictable. I actually can't stand Favre's obsessive need to be in the spotlight (which is the only reason for his on again, off again career these last few years) BUT the loss wasn't his fault.

Definately not blaming Favre! Running with the ball in that situation would´ve been the wiser decision, but you can´t blame him for losing that game. Those numerous fumbles and turnovers and no one really protecting no 4 were the reason for us losing that game. And besides that.. we could´ve won the OT cointoss and could´ve gotten the win and nobody would´ve talked about what happened before.

Thx no #4 for bringing us that far!!! I hope he returns for another year!
24 roster spots - 1QB,2RB,3WR,1TE,1Flex

QB: Herbert,Minshew
RB: Breece,Walker,Taylor,BRobinson,Allgeier,Spiller
WR:Jefferson,Lamb,DJMoore,QJohnston,Jameson,MMims, T.Marshall,Shakir,Gallup
TE: Andrews,Conklin
DST:DAL
2024 picks: 1.11, 2.10, 4.01, 4.05, 4.07, 4.11

Salty Dawg
Starter
Starter

Postby Salty Dawg » Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:38 am

khrolltop wrote:
hostile wrote:Great INT by Favre there in the dying seconds... :roll:

Live by the Favre, die by the Favre. I sure hope this is the killing blow to his ego.

I'm really happy for the Saints ad their fans! First time for the team in their history to go to the Super Bowl! Awesome!
I couldn't agree with you more.

Favre's last pass as a Packer was an interception in the NFC championship game 2 years ago. History repeats today.

Let me be the first to say, GO COLTS!!!
Now dont quote me here..im just thinking from the top of my head but I think I recall that his last pass as a NYJ was a int as well. Was it the one to Phillip Merling MIA that keeps coming to the forefront of my mind (week 17 last year)

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:51 am

I must just be missing something on all the Favre hate. Aside from the last couple of years with all the retirement talk, he has been nothing but one of the best all time QBs to have played the game. Packer fans might be hating on him now, but he revived a franchise with a rich history that went thru years of struggle. Most of the problem is that the media goes WAY overboard on the attention paid to him during the off-season. I wouldn't have minded either team winning yesterday, but preferred the Saints as I think historically speaking it makes a better story with how bad the franchise had been since its inception. First time ever reaching a Superbowl is a major accomplishment.
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

hostile
Starter
Starter

Postby hostile » Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:53 am

I feel like I should qualify my "great INT by Favre" statement.

I feel the Vike's loss is on Chilly's head, not Favre's. The play-calling was atrocious in the last minute of the game, and it was the coaching staff who put Favre in a 3rd and 15 situation where he had to force some sort of play. The turnovers were the killer, for sure, but the fact that Favre's last pass on the year was on a broken play with him throwing a pass back across his body, back across the field for an INT seemed... fitting.

meineymoe
Charter Member
Charter Member

Brett Favre

Postby meineymoe » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:49 am

Brett Favre is the greatest QB in NFL history as far as I'm concerned - his mythic feats of Herculean proportion will be recalled for years by Packer faithful - this recent bad blood feeling will pass for most, I think, and he will be regaled as the hero that he is when they bring him back to retire his #4 in Green Bay.

What Favre reminds me of recently, however, is the Tragic Hero of Classic Literature, performing great Feats, but then brought down in the end by his Fatal Flaw.

As a Packer fan living near the Minnesota border, I don't think this Viking season could have been any better scripted. After listening to a couple of decades of Favre bashing, there was a sudden flip to Favre adoration, making the Viking fans sound quite fickle. Favre did for the Vikings what no other available QB could have done, getting them to the NFC title game, but then the Super Bowl visions all come crashing down in the exact same fashion that they did for Packer fans in 2007.

Personally, I didn't care which team won yesterday - still bemoaning the fact that the Packers lost in the most exciting playoff game ever two weeks earlier. The Saints-Viking game was close -- probably much closer than it should have been if the Vikings hadn't turned the ball over so much. The Saints got 1/4th of the 500 yards passing that some projected, but Brees made the passes that counted and protected the ball.

I really feel for Favre - his legacy right now is his two INTs that cost the Packers and the Vikings NFC titles. Future generations will be able to look at the numbers and his success in the 1990s, but right now his recent failures are too fresh. This has to make it hard for him to walk away. I hope he comeps back for one more try.

-oo-

Shawn
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Shawn » Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:13 pm

Here's a good article about bad Favre games in the past decade, and yes, we have been spared of 2 weeks of Favre stories and gushing leading up to the Super Bowl :lol: (But we'll still get plenty for Peyton Manning :roll: )

http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/Ar ... egacy.html
“I had a couple of drinks. I started in 1970 and finished in 1985. It was a very big drink.” - Alice Cooper
“I’m sick to death of people saying we’ve made 11 albums that sound exactly the same. In fact, we’ve made 12 albums that sound exactly the same.” - Angus Young of AC/DC
"Every album Van Halen did was actually an Eddie solo album" - Eddie Van Halen
"Don't hate me because I'm fabulous" - Prince

Orca
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Re: Brett Favre

Postby Orca » Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:29 pm

meineymoe wrote:Brett Favre is the greatest QB in NFL history as far as I'm concerned - his mythic feats of Herculean proportion will be recalled for years by Packer faithful - this recent bad blood feeling will pass for most, I think, and he will be regaled as the hero that he is when they bring him back to retire his #4 in Green Bay.

What Favre reminds me of recently, however, is the Tragic Hero of Classic Literature, performing great Feats, but then brought down in the end by his Fatal Flaw.

As a Packer fan living near the Minnesota border, I don't think this Viking season could have been any better scripted. After listening to a couple of decades of Favre bashing, there was a sudden flip to Favre adoration, making the Viking fans sound quite fickle. Favre did for the Vikings what no other available QB could have done, getting them to the NFC title game, but then the Super Bowl visions all come crashing down in the exact same fashion that they did for Packer fans in 2007.

Personally, I didn't care which team won yesterday - still bemoaning the fact that the Packers lost in the most exciting playoff game ever two weeks earlier. The Saints-Viking game was close -- probably much closer than it should have been if the Vikings hadn't turned the ball over so much. The Saints got 1/4th of the 500 yards passing that some projected, but Brees made the passes that counted and protected the ball.

I really feel for Favre - his legacy right now is his two INTs that cost the Packers and the Vikings NFC titles. Future generations will be able to look at the numbers and his success in the 1990s, but right now his recent failures are too fresh. This has to make it hard for him to walk away. I hope he comeps back for one more try.

-oo-
I agree with most of that. I won't go as far as to say he is the greatest of all time but he certainly deserves representation in the argument for the title. Football fans have a short memory. That will hurt his legend status for a little, but ultimately, when his whole body of work is viewed, he will be respected in a way he deserves.

Although I think he is done now. Even though he played at such a high level throughout the year, his body must be hurting. He took a beating yesterday. Although the Saint's defense if far from formidable as far as yielding points is concerned, I think they may have pummelled two hall of fame quarterbacks into retirement on consecutive weeks.

Salty Dawg
Starter
Starter

RESPECT FOR BRETT!

Postby Salty Dawg » Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:53 pm

And while I spoke a lil to the int and his propensity for throwing them in big games. And while (including me) were puzzled by his actions the last 2 off seasons--I still believe that Favre still is gonna go down as one of the best ever. All the records he hold will "enshrine" him most definitely.

But besides all that what I want to bring to the table is what the MAN Brett Favre did as a FOOTBALL PLAYER on MNF day after his father passed.And on that note I end.

Brett Favre should and will hold his head high when he leaves the game of FOOTBALL.