Jets vs Chargers

Discuss free agency, trade rumors, games, and everything else concerning the NFL HERE!
Shawn
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Shawn » Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:36 pm

Salty Dawg wrote:lol..oops. the unemplyment office will most likely b closed tomorrow but tuesday should be a definite for him. 3 of em ...wow.

At least he'll have Shayne Graham and Shaun Suisham to join him :oops: Its too bad, as Kaeding was a great kicker during the year, but you've got to hit the field goals in the playoffs when it counts!
“I had a couple of drinks. I started in 1970 and finished in 1985. It was a very big drink.” - Alice Cooper
“I’m sick to death of people saying we’ve made 11 albums that sound exactly the same. In fact, we’ve made 12 albums that sound exactly the same.” - Angus Young of AC/DC
"Every album Van Halen did was actually an Eddie solo album" - Eddie Van Halen
"Don't hate me because I'm fabulous" - Prince

Orca
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Orca » Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:42 pm

Steelersfan wrote:
Salty Dawg wrote:REVIS IS SICK!!

HOLY SMOKE..
Yes he is, and Rivers jumping around so emphatically after the play was over just reassured my thoughts all along about him...Jacka**!
I couldn't possibly agree more. Very few things please me more than watching the Chargers lose. You get to watch Norv Turner (a deer in headlights) timidly walk the sideline. You get to watch Rivers whine and cry to anyone who will listen and you get to watch Tomlinson sitting with all his friends on the bench (in other words, alone).

It is good to know that LT has a bright future in entertainment ahead of him after football. Take a look at this gem: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVdBjHc-6WE

cowboys85
Role Player
Role Player

Postby cowboys85 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:48 pm

It seems like this has been a bad year for kickers. Rackers, Graham, Kaeding, and Suisham miss big ones in the playoffs. During the regular season, Folk, Elam, Hauschka, Nugent, and Suisham were all cut.
ECFFL (Commissioner) - Mullet Mullitia
Gridiron 3 - Hamden Hawks
UDL - Connecticut Cowboys

Orca
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Orca » Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:50 pm

cowboys85 wrote:It seems like this has been a bad year for kickers. Rackers, Graham, Kaeding, and Suisham miss big ones in the playoffs. During the regular season, Folk, Elam, Hauschka, Nugent, and Suisham were all cut.
I was having that discussion today. I can't remember a worse year for kickers. I remember feeling like inside 40 yards was automatic...not this year.

Shawn
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Shawn » Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:13 pm

Orca wrote:
cowboys85 wrote:It seems like this has been a bad year for kickers. Rackers, Graham, Kaeding, and Suisham miss big ones in the playoffs. During the regular season, Folk, Elam, Hauschka, Nugent, and Suisham were all cut.
I was having that discussion today. I can't remember a worse year for kickers. I remember feeling like inside 40 yards was automatic...not this year.

Makes you realize how important a quality clutch kicker like Adam Vinatieri can be, kickers are a lot like closers in baseball if you think about it.

Side Question: Is it OK to give at least SOME credit to Eric Mangini here? Mangini built a lot of the team that won today, and wasn't it his decision to draft or acquire many of the key players today like Nick Mangold and Darelle Revis? I know the Jets also had a GM, but if I recall Mangini handled the majority of key draft acquisitions.
“I had a couple of drinks. I started in 1970 and finished in 1985. It was a very big drink.” - Alice Cooper
“I’m sick to death of people saying we’ve made 11 albums that sound exactly the same. In fact, we’ve made 12 albums that sound exactly the same.” - Angus Young of AC/DC
"Every album Van Halen did was actually an Eddie solo album" - Eddie Van Halen
"Don't hate me because I'm fabulous" - Prince

Orca
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Orca » Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:26 pm

Shawn wrote:
Orca wrote:

Makes you realize how important a quality clutch kicker like Adam Vinatieri can be, kickers are a lot like closers in baseball if you think about it.

Side Question: Is it OK to give at least SOME credit to Eric Mangini here? Mangini built a lot of the team that won today, and wasn't it his decision to draft or acquire many of the key players today like Nick Mangold and Darelle Revis? I know the Jets also had a GM, but if I recall Mangini handled the majority of key draft acquisitions.
If he wasn't such a a&%hole, I would say yes to this. :lol:

Rex Ryan brought the attitude and a great defensive scheme. Those players would throw themselves off a cliff for Ryan. Most of Mangini's players wouldn't walk across the street for him.

But to answer your question, yes, Mangini desverves some credit for his hand in bringing those guys in. He also turned around a hapless team this year to finish strong.

Dynasty
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Dynasty » Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:34 pm

kickers=gotta add kris brown there

thewhyterabbit
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby thewhyterabbit » Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:47 pm

Dynasty wrote:kickers=gotta add kris brown there
agreed. brown is money.

and i like mangini... i think he drafts pretty well. david harris was a great pick. revis.. lowery.. gholston was a poor poor selection though.

ryan was the guy that made it all work. alot like the bear... he didnt draft the chicago players, but he made them better, and taught them how to dominate... alot like ryan has done with these jets.

Misfit74
Legend
Legend

Postby Misfit74 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:26 pm

Mangini was not the GM in NY or CLE. You can hardly give him credit for the players drafted. He may of had input, but the decisions and scouting was not his doing. He's a coach, not a GM.

And you may not want to give him credit for coaching, either:
Mangini has faced early criticism in his tenure with Cleveland, with Sports Illustrated columnist Joe Posnanski going so far to call Mangini's hiring by the Browns as the worst coaching hire from the past 25 years.
Why did they hire Mike Holmgren again? ...
#GoHawks / @am_misfit / Fractal Audio / Matrix Amplification / Axe FX II XL+ / ESP, Schecter Guitars

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:37 pm

Misfit74 wrote:Mangini was not the GM in NY or CLE. You can hardly give him credit for the players drafted. He may of had input, but the decisions and scouting was not his doing. He's a coach, not a GM.
I suppose you could give him credit for the multiple deals he made with the Jets since coming to Cleveland and how those may have benefited the Jets.

Mangini is an idiot. I don't want him as the head coach of my Browns. I believe the last month of success was a result of the expectation that Mangini would be gone and the players positive attitude that resulted from it. Now that they have learned he will be back, we can probably expect another 1-10 type of start. I hope that doesn't come to pass, but that's about as much as I trust Mangini to run a football team.
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.