2016 Vikings

Discuss free agency, trade rumors, games, and everything else concerning the NFL HERE!
Pac_Eddy
Legend
Legend

2016 Vikings

Postby Pac_Eddy » Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:34 am

I'm a Vikings fan. I love what Mike Zimmer and GM Rick Spielman have done with this team in two seasons. The defense is looking absolutely elite and has several young playmakers. The offense is average at best but doesn't turn the ball over, keeping almost all losses close scores. The week 1 loss to SF this year was odd but by far the worst game of the season.

I think they'll be battling the Packers for the division for the next several seasons.

Anyone else share my excitement for Minnesota?
Not all that counts can be counted. Not all that can be counted counts.

dlf_robw
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Re: 2016 Vikings

Postby dlf_robw » Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:55 am

I have little doubt the defense will remain near the top of the league under Zimmer's tutelage. The personnel is really in great shape and the scheme led to instant impact even when the personnel was average at best.

The offense needs to really improve for the team to take the next step. For as much as I love and will defend Teddy, he needs to be more of a playmaker if the team is to be a true contender. Conversely, I don't think we can truly evaluate him until the protection and playmakers get better. The pass protection was truly abysmal in 2015 and really limited the team schematically.

I'd rather see this team move away from a Peterson-based offense, in which you're basically forced to give him twenty plus touches and wait for him to pop a big one. I feel the offense flows better when you have a bit more versatility.

HawkeyeState
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby HawkeyeState » Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:55 am

Love what they have done.
Hit on WR and offensive line in free agency/this years draft and the Vikings really don't have many holes.
RB should also be late flier picks because let's face it, AP is defying the odds every second he plays at his age and # of touches, the wheels are going to fall off eventually.
I love Jerick McKinnon but I question him being a every down inside the tackles banger. He's that space player with elite quicks and receiving ability.
Team 1
10 TM .5 PPR, 6 pt all TDs 1/2/3/1/2Flex
Newton, Rivers
LF, Chubb, Michel, Kerryon, Hyde, AJones, Royce F, Crowell
Adams, Cooper, Alshon, Watkins, ARob, Fuller, Doctson, Funchess, Gallup, Pettis, Valdez-Scant
Gronk, HHenry, Engram
1.09, 2.09, 3.09, 4.09, 5.09

Team 2
10 TM 1/2/3/1/1Flex 6pt all TDs .25 PPR RB, .5 PPR WR, 1 PPR TE
Wilson, Big Ben
Bell, JConner, MMack, Shady, CThompson, D'Onta Foreman, C Edmonds, B Scarborough
Julio, Nuk, Fuller, Cooks, ARob, Watkins, Cooper, SShepard, CDavis, DJ Chark
Kelce, Olsen, Andrews
1.09, 2.09, 3.09, 4.09, 5.09

Team 3
10 team, 0.5 PPR RBs WRs, 1 PPR TEs, Devy Superflex League
Carr, Goff, Falk
Barkley, Dalvin, Mixon, Michel, Ballage, MDavis, Dixon, Akers*
Hopkins, JuJu, Watkins, Fuller, Agholor, Moncrief, EQSB, Valdez-Scant, CRogers
Eifert, Ebron, JJames, JCook
1.02, 2.02, 2.06, 3.04

Played against David Johnson in HS, he was a stud back then too

Pac_Eddy
Legend
Legend

Postby Pac_Eddy » Wed Feb 24, 2016 6:11 am

Agree with both of you, Hawkeye & dlf_robl. Glad to see my purple lenses aren't biasing me too much.

Teddy isn't a good fantasy QB but he has done well for what the o-line has given him.

I'd like to see the Vikes add a big WR (Brandon Marshall type), though every team wants that I'm sure. I'd continue to lean on AP as long as he can do it. Let Teddy take over that offense if he's showing he can do it but don't force it. Continue to draft for value and fill holes with free agents. Eric Weddle would be an awesome target this spring.
Not all that counts can be counted. Not all that can be counted counts.

dlf_robw
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby dlf_robw » Wed Feb 24, 2016 6:16 am

I'm more on the George Iloka train. Maybe Zimmer's past with him can pay dividends. Osemele would also be an awesome addition. Splurging in free agency is obviously not the best way to build a foundation for long-term success, but where would this team be without Joseph/Munnerlyn/Newman? The team has done it right the past few seasons.

theone
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby theone » Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:26 pm

Really like what the Vikings have done and the direction they are going in. Lots of young DB talent and some nice quality DL and OL. They are also in a strong salary cap position without many bad contracts which are hard to get out of. They are in a position to compete for the playoffs yearly.

Now let me dampen expectations somewhat. This is a team that is not close to competing for a title. The defense is not close to elite by almost any metric. The run defense tied for 22nd in the league at 4.3 YPC which is identical to 2014. The passing defense was 15th and 16th in passing rating and YPA. In fact, 2015 was remarkably similar to 2014 (13th overall in 2015 vs 14th overall in 2014). The offense is in worse shape with a lack of playmakers at the WR and TE spots in addition to the OL protection issues referenced by others. I have been impressed any time I have seen McKinnon over the last couple of years. Teddy has not shown anything to make me believe he will be anything more than a game manager. He is an unknown in the most optimistic view. In short, the 5th ranked scoring defense and 16th ranked scoring offense masked big deficiencies on both sides of the ball. Both are probably due for regression in 2016 unless Teddy progresses and serious talent is added to the defensive box.

IBall2
All Pro
All Pro

Postby IBall2 » Fri Feb 26, 2016 10:01 am

I Think the Vikings biggest problem is their O-line. He rarely has time to make it through his progressions while in the pocket. I don't see his inability to throw the ball downfield as a fatal flaw. He is very accurate in short to intermediate routes and people like Tom Brady and Alex Smith have done just fine with this same ability.

roughrider1
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby roughrider1 » Sat Feb 27, 2016 12:06 pm

If Minnesota can improve that offensive line they will be ready to make the next step. The defense is pretty good a little weak at safety opposite Smith but have a very good front 7 with really nice depth along the d-line. AP is aging but he's not human, he's proven that. Mckinnon is an excellent change of pace guy. If that o-line can improve and give teddy more protection and open up lanes for AP.. look out. That new indoor stadium should help Teddy's game as well, his numbers indoors are pretty decent. Not a fantasy guy but a winner.
10 Team Superflex PPR 32 man roster
QB Sam Bradford, Matt Stafford, Mitchell Trubisky
RB Leonard Fournette, TJ Yeldon, Chris Ivory, Dalvin Cook, Latavius Murray, Adrian Peterson
WR Odell Beckham, Corey Coleman, Laquon Treadwell, Mike Wallace, Devin Funchess, Jermaine Kearse , Terrance Williams, Mike Wallace, Tyler Lockett
TE Kyle Rudolph, Josh Hill, Jerell Adams, Ben Watson
K Stephen Gostkowski, Blair Walsh
D Rams, Vikings

rubber_duck
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby rubber_duck » Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:30 am

Well, the team has made free agent moves to address the line. Maybe they spend an early pick on a WR that fits their talent. I'd be happy to see them pick Treadwell, Doctson or Boyd in the early part of the draft.

Teddy seems like a solid buy-low candidate to me this off season. We have already seen his floor. He may surprise in his 3rd season.